Anyone doing a high-carb vegan/raw type diet?

Options
I'm keen on trying a raw/steamed food diet. It's day two right now and I've just been eating brown and black rice, raw fruits and veggies, and steamed veggies. I may throw in chicken every now and again (I have a ton in the house I don't want to waste xD).
But I've been eating clean the last two days and my sugar/carbs are pretty high on the MFP app.

I want to try a more natural diet. To stray away from processed foods. I can restrict calories but I always binge after because I don't have the mental fortitude to stay hungry and lethargic feeling for more than a week or two! >0<

I just wanted to know if anyone is doing something similar?:) I've seen some amazing results but it would be great if anyone on here has some.. :)

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yup, I am... I'm doing (as close as possible) to an 80% carb, 10% protein & 10% fat plant-based whole foods 'diet'. But this is only since Oct '14. I was a regular omnivore before that...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Protein and dietary fat are highly essential macro-nutrients...and they are also "clean"....
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    kayvanne wrote: »
    I'm keen on trying a raw/steamed food diet. It's day two right now and I've just been eating brown and black rice, raw fruits and veggies, and steamed veggies. I may throw in chicken every now and again (I have a ton in the house I don't want to waste xD).
    But I've been eating clean the last two days and my sugar/carbs are pretty high on the MFP app.

I want to try a more natural diet. To stray away from processed foods. I can restrict calories but I always binge after because I don't have the mental fortitude to stay hungry and lethargic feeling for more than a week or two! >0<

I just wanted to know if anyone is doing something similar?:) I've seen some amazing results but it would be great if anyone on here has some.. :)

Why do you have to feel hungry and lethargic while restricting calories?

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry and lethargic on a diet you are doing it wrong - probably too high a deficit.

I don't see how a high carb raw/vegan diet is more natural. If you binge after two week son a restriction diet I can't see how something that really needs a lot of work to be healthy is going to be easier for you.

A normal Vegan diet requires careful planning to get the nutrients you require - it should not be considered an easy way to lose weight. Making it raw, even more so.

weight loss = calorie deficit.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan on making this your lifestyle and becoming a full on vegan then I would not recommend this as a short term solution. As the others posters have mentioned, it is a lot of work for it to not be a permanent lifestyle change otherwise you risk binging when this is over. You need to be fully committed which will including taking supplements for the vitamins and minerals you are not getting.

There is nothing wrong with fat and protein, in fact, they are essential to our metabolism and muscle growth. I would recommend using a calculator to determine the ratio of your macros based on your height, pounds of lean muscle mass, activity level, and general preference in the types of food you eat. Adjust MFP goals accordingly to the macros, eat at a deficit and hit those macros daily. That is the healthiest thing you can do.
  • kayvanne
    kayvanne Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Really disappointed in the responses. It is frustrating to look for support and be met with a barrage of "don't!"'s.
    I asked if anyone else was doing this so I can get connected to the right people!

I don't know if people realize how detrimental this is. When someone opens up and right away they are told they need to do it differently.
    People do this all the time, and sometimes without even realizing it!>0<

Just please be respectful when people try to open up about something. It can be pretty tough for people to open up and try new things. This leads to fear to try new things because every time people do we are met with resistance.

I appreciate the concern, but I would not like to be told what to do. I am also a very logical, realistic person and I understand that everyone's body functions differently. I am attempting a lifestyle change. If there are no results, I will try something else.
    It can only be better than eating junk food. :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just be sure to get enough calories. Also, I would try to find ways to incorporate plenty of protein and enough fat. Extremely low fat diets can lead to hormonal problems (so I've heard) and from personal experience, I know enough dietary fat helps to keep the skin, hair, and nails healthy.

Good luck, stay healthy! :)
  • heybrodudeman
    heybrodudeman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Really disappointed in the responses. It is frustrating to look for support and be met with a barrage of "don't!"'s.
    I asked if anyone else was doing this so I can get connected to the right people!
    )

It's OK :) I don't even track carbs, but I don't eat very many, and they are mostly through vegetables and beans. This is coming from a "mostly vegan" dude for 18 years. Be happy, it's not hard to get enough calories, protein, or vitamins on a vegan diet. Cooking for yourself at home is definitely best compared to going out to eat.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Kay, I'm a low fat high carb plant based vegan..I know what you mean about calorie restricting and binging. Regardless of what others may say, "most" people on a low carb calorie diet are on a merry go round. Even if you are Vegan you still need to watch out for the unhealthy fatty oils and cholesterol, sugars, sodium..etc. It's still better to be Vegan for the animals and environmental issues so never be discouraged to do something that makes you feel better about yourself.

If you need my support, just friend me! Most people on this site will not support and disagree with Vegan and Plant Based lifestyles because well, we don't usually have to track them so we are the minority here but I'm here logging my food and exercise out of curiosity and to share with friends and inspire others who really care about your health and the environment.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If all you want to do is try a "more natural diet.. To stay away from more processed food", why do you need to restrict yourself even more?

You can eat a wide range of foods that fit within your "natural" diet, keep you satisfied, lots of energy etc. If you feel tired, hungry and lethargic you are making bad food choices (I didn't say you're eating "bad" food, just making bad choices for your goals - there is no good and bad food). As a female, I really wouldn't advise limiting fat. You need it for good health, for body functions, hormone regulation, nutrient absorption!! You can get good Fats from natural sources - coconut oil, extra Virgin olive oils, coconut, nuts, nut butter, butter/ghee, fatty meat, oily fish, eggs, avocado, seeds. Please don't cut it out of your diet...

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is a vegan group that will give you more support than the main boards. I eat a high carbohydrate, high fruit diet, and it is awesome. Try it for yourself and see if it works for you.
  • isabellehenry169
    isabellehenry169 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kayvanne, I'm new to the lifestyle and I have a lot to learn and being on a weight loss challenge at the same time is , well, a real challenge.

I often go to vegan websites, like Vegetarian Times .com, to learn and download recipes. My Recipes .com offers most of the time the nutritional values so you can keep track of your intake in here.

Befriend me, if you like, so we can support each other.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but am vegetarian. I do eat things like cheese, eggs and Greek yoghurt. My macros are usually carbs 50%, protein 30%, fats 20%. I have tried a lower fat ratio but find this difficult as I normally include foods such as hummus, avocado, olive oil and nuts in my diet which all have a higher fat ratio. From my experience I've found a lot of vegetarian/vegan food is naturally higher in carbs. Fruit, veg, tofu, beans, quinoa, lentils are all higher in carbs but I figure are good carbs. Sometimes it's a trial and error thing, make some adjustments and you'll be able to find the right balance without feeling lethargic or tired.

Good luck.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

I don't know if people realize how detrimental this is. When someone opens up and right away they are told they need to do it differently.
    People do this all the time, and sometimes without even realizing it!>0<

Just please be respectful when people try to open up about something. It can be pretty tough for people to open up and try new things. This leads to fear to try new things because every time people do we are met with resistance.

I appreciate the concern, but I would not like to be told what to do. I am also a very logical, realistic person and I understand that everyone's body functions differently. I am attempting a lifestyle change. If there are no results, I will try something else.
    It can only be better than eating junk food. :)

Good lord. :noway:

People just commented based on what you said - not one person said just don't - they gave reasons why it might not be a good idea for you based on your op.

This is an open forum and we can give our opinions - even if you don't like them. Everyone was respectful - just because you didn't get the answers you wanted didn't mean they were not respectful.

And NO overly restriction your food is not guaranteed to be better than eating "junk" food, not if the "junk food helps you hit your macros and over restricting means you miss them.

You binge after two weeks of calorie restriction so think further restrictions will work for you, yeah - here have some rainbows and lollipops.
  • kayvanne
    kayvanne Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    Kay, I'm a low fat high carb plant based vegan..I know what you mean about calorie restricting and binging. Regardless of what others may say, "most" people on a low carb calorie diet are on a merry go round. Even if you are Vegan you still need to watch out for the unhealthy fatty oils and cholesterol, sugars, sodium..etc. It's still better to be Vegan for the animals and environmental issues so never be discouraged to do something that makes you feel better about yourself.

If you need my support, just friend me! Most people on this site will not support and disagree with Vegan and Plant Based lifestyles because well, we don't usually have to track them so we are the minority here but I'm here logging my food and exercise out of curiosity and to share with friends and inspire others who really care about your health and the environment.

Thanks for the response!:) I don't get why everyone automatically assumes its so restrictive without even trying it. I guess it's the normal schema. Personally, I've been eating a TON of food the last week xD!
    I'll add you!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Thanks for the response!:) I don't get why everyone automatically assumes its so restrictive without even trying it. I guess it's the normal schema. Personally, I've been eating a TON of food the last week xD!
    I'll add you!

No meat
    Fish
    Dairy
    Eggs
    Baked goods
    Ice cream
    Legumes
    Or cooked veg

Yeah nothing restrictive about that.
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

After being diagnosed with gout in January, this is the path I'm supposed to follow. The Dr. said to just avoid red meat and alcohol while Dr. Internet said to go mostly vegetarian with limited animal protein. According to MFP, I generally go over on carbs and go under on protein and fat. Their estimates are generalized, so I don't lose sleep over it.

If you do abstain from meat, it's important to eat complete proteins. Do a search for it. I found that when I combined the different groups of grains/legumes/nuts/dairy to get my complete proteins, I felt better and had fewer cravings.

It took me a little over two weeks to adapt to all these new habits. I hope you stick it out and find yourself better for it. Cheers!
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'll add you!

No meat
    Fish
    Dairy
    Eggs
    Baked goods
    Ice cream
    Legumes
    Or cooked veg

Yeah nothing restrictive about that.

It's the most Un-restrictive lifestyle I've ever chosen. Most people dieting will not understand when you are eating this way after a while, you will no longer crave meat, dairy, eggs, etc...your taste buds change!

I can still be around meat but I have absolutely no interest or appetite for it. On the other hand, put a huge bowl of pasta in front of me if I'm hungry and I'll eat as much as I want until I'm satisfied! Maybe the only time it can be restrictive is when you are transitioning and breaking your bad habits but that doesn't take as long as you might think and applies to everything!!

For those that think it's restrictive...When was the last time you really wanted to eat a Horse??? Do you find not wanting to eat a horse restrictive? There is an abundance and huge variety of fruits, veggies, pastas, rice, beans that are very satisfying! Have you forgotten that???

Now what I found restrictive is calorie counting and dieting to lose weight! I know how it used to feel wanting my Diet Coke or Fried Chicken and having to smell all the fast foods!!! I also couldn't wait to lose that 10lbs so I can go reward myself with a night out drinking and binging on the food that got me fat in the first place!!!