Calorie intake ?

Options
Is not eating enough calories daily better or worse than eating too many calories?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Not enough for what? In what time frame?
  • Tanira17
    Tanira17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Daily
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    On one particular day? I guess it would depend on your goals.

If you were trying to lose weight, eating too much would be worse. If you were trying to bulk, eating too little would be worse.

At the extremes, both can kill you, depending on what "not enough" and "too many" really means.

There's not enough information in the question to answer it.
  • Tanira17
    Options
    Trying to lose weight. I find it hard to eat 'healthy' stuff and the appropriate amount of calories. For instance I had 2 salads, an apple, plum, & strawberries yesterday and still needed about 200 calories. I feel like I'm eating too much if I do hit the calorie mark.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    well how has the scale been going based on what you are doing already? that is a clue into how you eating plan is working or not working
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein, fats, other nutrients, etc in your minimal amount of calories you're eating? Healthy isn't just about eating the lowest amount of calories you possibly can. You need to fuel your body with that it needs to function properly.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well, depending on whether or not you're weighing your foods or logging them by size/estimation, 200 calories is probably within the margin of error for your goal. So it may not hurt you.

That said, just fruits and veggies is going to leave you low in things like protein and fat, which are essential for a healthy diet. It might help you to use those 200 calories to be sure you're hitting your goals for those every day.

200 calories is ridiculously easy to add in with healthy foods. Avocado, chicken breast, a little extra cheese or dressing on the salad, peanut butter with your fruit, a handful of nuts, a serving of Greek yogurt, etc. Don't be afraid to add some of those good, calorie dense foods into your day.

I also want to point out that being hesitant or afraid to eat a little more can lead to problems later down the road when you need to adjust your goals. Learning to eat "enough" now is incredibly useful when you reach your goals and need to transition to maintenance.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Remember this: If you are set to say, a 1000 calorie a day deficit, and you go over your calorie limit by 200 calories, you still achieved an 800 calorie deficit for the day. So do not get too upset if you go over by a little bit on some days. It just means you won't hit your target weight loss goal for the weak but that's OK, I never do. I'm targeting 2 pounds per week but I usually do 1.2 pounds per week.

It's also not going to kill you if you occasionally don't eat all your calories every day. It's probably not a good idea to habitually go under 1200.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are asking whether it is better to starve yourself or gorge yourself, I would say it is better to gorge yourself, since starving yourself would kill you more quickly while obesity just increases your risk of premature death. But you shouldn't do either. You should eat within an appropriate range and if you are trying to lose weight you should eat at a deficit, but it shouldn't be more than 1000 under per day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Tanira17 wrote: »
    Trying to lose weight. I find it hard to eat 'healthy' stuff and the appropriate amount of calories. For instance I had 2 salads, an apple, plum, & strawberries yesterday and still needed about 200 calories. I feel like I'm eating too much if I do hit the calorie mark.

Well there's your answer right there. Stop trying to eat only "healthy" stuff and focused on getting a balanced diet with all the food groups and yes, even some room for treats and snacks. As long as you're eating within your calorie goal, you're gonna lose weight.

If that's all you ate yesterday, and if that's typical or representative for you, then you're eating FAR too little. I'd say that's dangerously low, in fact. If it's something that happens often for you, then you might want to seek out some support for EDs.
  • Tanira17
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone. Another thing, say your calorie goal is 1200 per day. & during your workout you burn 300 calories. Does that mean you need to try to make up for those too? Eat 1500 instead of 1200?
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Tanira17 yes but some don't. see what works for you.

i don't eat back my burned calories unless i really need to or saving for a special occasion. but if you are eating super low like 1200 you should probably eat back your calories
  • segacs
    Options
    You're 22 years old and trying to lose 25 pounds. I don't know your height or current weight, but 1200 calories is probably too low a goal for you. Let me guess: You set up MyFitnessPal and set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week? That's too aggressive a deficit unless you're a very large, morbidly obese male.

For someone with your stats, 1 pound a week is going to be the maximum recommended goal for you. Try resetting your goal to 1lb/week and you'll get a higher calorie goal than 1200.

And yes, if you exercise, you'd eat back those exercise calories on top of that. That's how MFP is designed to work. Just make sure you're not over-estimating your calorie burn; MFP is notorious for doing that with exercise. So, say it estimates you burned 300 calories; in reality you might've burned more like 150-200 and you may only want to eat back that many calories. But you should at least eat back some of them, or you're creating too big a deficit.
  • Tanira17
    Options
    I put my goal at 1.5lb per week & it recommends 1280 calories/day. But thanks for the advice. I will change it and try harder to hit my calorie goal.
  • segacs
    Options
    Tanira17 wrote: »
    I put my goal at 1.5lb per week & it recommends 1280 calories/day. But thanks for the advice. I will change it and try harder to hit my calorie goal.

Awesome.

And seriously, don't think about it in terms of "good" or "bad" food. Just eat the foods you enjoy and focus on staying within your MFP calorie goal. Weight loss is a long journey and you're creating healthy habits for life. If you try to lose weight eating nothing but salad, it will feel much, much longer. Instead, ask yourself "can I realistically see myself eating like this for the rest of my life?" and create a food plan that includes your favourite foods in moderation. That's how you know you'll stick to it and keep the weight off once you lose it.

Good luck!
  • Tanira17
    Options
    Great advice!! Thanks!