Migraine sufferers

Options
Does anyone here get migraines?

As a teenager I got so many migraines that my doctor put me on a preventative medication (topamax) but that interfered with my BC causing me to become pregnant. During my pregnancy and for a few years after I didn't get migraines.

Now, they've slowly increased in frequency to the point that I'm getting them at least once a week and nothing but time seems to make them go away.

At my appointment with my doctor next week, I'm thinking I should ask about controller meds. Does anyone have any experience with any of them besides Topamax? I'd love to hear how they worked for you and any suggestions you might have.

Also, how do you cope with exercising/eating well when you're dealing with a migraine? Do you find anything else besides medications help prevent or treat migraines for you?

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I've never taken any of the medications. I get migraines, sinus headaches the works! As far as diet and exercise I just lay off and do what my body wants when i have a migraine. Sometimes I can't eat. Sometimes I'm starving and eat non stop, often right before a migraine.

Interesting that you did not get migraines while pregnant and for a while after. Has your doctor considered hotmonal reasons for your migraines? Perhaps birth control or some sort of hotmonal intervention could help you to control them. Just a thought :-) good luck
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I just go through a five-day migraine. I get them once every three months, almost like clockwork, and I have no idea what triggers them. I do get lots of headaches in between, and I have a neurologist appointment coming up to try to get to the root of the problem, so that's something.

I take Treximet when it starts, which eases it up for a while but never really stops it. I've tried a bunch of controller meds, but I'm really susceptible to anything that makes you sleepy, so we wound up giving up on them.

As far as eating... I get really nauseous during, so I'm not really eating much of anything. I did try going to the gym this time, and I found that I feel good during the workout, (thank you, exercise endorphins!) but feel like crud afterwards.

Also! Something to note... my doctor thinks the headaches I get daily - 2-3 times a day - are actually nerve pain, not traditional "headaches." He has me on something for that, and it seems to be helping a little. So that's something to ask about, maybe.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from migraines since I was a child. I've tried a TON of medication and nothing preventative has worked for me.
    I take a very old/old-school prescription when the pain is unbearable. I take Excedrin and bear with the pain as much as I can -- bc the prescription looses effectiveness if taken too often.
    I find that I get less migraines when I am active and eating right ("right" for me, I am not passing judgement on anybody's preferences)

I also use a little blend of essential oils called "MigraStick" (which is basically an overpriced blend of peppermint and lavender essential oils in a portable roll on.)

My migraines are debilitating in that I can't work, drive, eat (all I do is throw up and whimper) -- so eating right and exercising are out of the question. When they are bad, they can last for days.

Reducing stress helps lessen the frequency of my migraines, but that isn't always within my control.

oh, I forgot to note, my prescription actually contains caffeine and I found that if I take my pill with a cup of coffee or a sip of Coke, it makes it kick in a little faster. Also, being in a dark room helps too.

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry!
    i get migraines and take Maxalt as needed. BC triggered them now that I'm not on BC i get a migraine about 3-4 times a year and they last 3 full days. Maxalt at least helps me function.

i dont stress too much about my eating during that time or when I'm sick otherwise. i still track but i loosen the reigns a bit and just try to get well.

i don't have any advise on maintenance drugs, good luck!
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get crippling ones every now and again, stress induced most likely. I just have to lie down in the dark for a bit, and probably call it an early night later.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mine are food allergy related: all glutenous grains, oats, and dairy, and peanuts in quantity.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my dr told me that mine are hormone related, but i'm irregular so i never know when thats going to hit. i keep excedrine migraine with me at all time, and if i even suspect one is coming on i eat carbs or cheese and caffeine. i dont know what it is about the carbs/cheese, but something like a bagel with cream cheese, really seems to help. and the caffeine is a life savor. when i was still waitressing i could just grab a shot of espresso, now i have to find a soda which is tough since i've stopped drinking soda! if that all doesnt work i take the excedrine (2) and go hide in a dark room. they usually make me pass out for 4-6 hours and after that i just have a dull headache which i can deal with till the cows come home!
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I gave up gluten and saw a dramatic improvement in my migraines. I began getting more migraines as I got older. I am 27 now and after college they seemed to get worse and worse. I gave up gluten when I went Paleo and the migraines improving was an unexpected side effect. I hope you get some relief!
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to get them all the time, usually on the placebo days of my bc pills. Now that I have an IUD, I'm told they will go away completely.

There was no eating or exercise with mine. Dark, silent room. And lots of Excedrin.

I hope you find something that works because they are the worst!
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I used to get migraines frequently. When I changed my diet to gluten/dairy free last year, I haven't had one since (or even a normal headache). A woman I used to date had them, too. She had me pull her hair. It sounds silly, but it gave her relief. Hold your hand flat and run your fingers through your hair at the base of your skull and make a fist with a bunch of hair and hold it tight for a minute, then release it. She said it was an acupressure thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My daughter has suffered from migraines for years. Her doctor told her to switch to no/low impact exercises. She bought an exercise bike and that has really helped lessen the frequency of her migraines.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've had them for 30 years, but i think they decline when you get older. Objectively I think my improved diet, hydration and exercise has helped significantly. They have muh reduced now as well as normall headaches. I take much better care of myself becayse im interested in the diet and thereby am more on top of avoiding trigger factors.

At my worst in my younger days I used to get 2-3 a week.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I get migraines, usually around that time of the month and sometimes with excess Red wine. Not white or any other drink. I take Imitrex when needed. Best stuff ever. Does not mess with anything, weight, mood, nothing.
    I do know that staying well hydrated makes a huge difference. Drink lots of water and eat clean...not junk. You will see a huge improvement.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I hate migraines so much... I usually get them between a week before to the first days of my period, and they last for several days. I get really nauseous too. I just really want to stay curled up into a ball in bed, in darkness... Excedrin and Coke (NOT TOGETHER!!) helps with them. :sick:
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My birth mom gets migraines, so I get them from her. I take 100 mg Topamax, The doc did say I could go up to 200, but people usually didn't see much increase in results by upping meds. I take my topax in the morning. I seem to do better that way, and I can have wine at dinner if I want it. I take Imatrex as needed. I've noticed it's better to take it ASAP. My migraines are worse as I'm heavier. I do better when I exercise. I added some trap exercises that I do daily because my migraines come from my neck. I do do 12,5 # shrugs, 12, 5 # wide rows, 12 non weighted pull back, and 15 push-ups. For regular exercise I vary for walking, jogging, biking, swimming, and boot camps. I get weekly massage. My migraines used to be so bad that I would just eat whatever and cry. I am doing better now that I can cook or warm up a healthier meal when I have one but sometimes now I get migraines where I feel it in my stomach nauseous and I can't eat. I go back to the neurologist next month and we will talk about Botox. I was against it at first, but I've had only a week this month with out some form of a migraine. So, I think. I'll try it. Feel free to message me or add me. I cut out caffeine because I thought that was a trigger.
  • ALAdams
    ALAdams Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to get major migraine headaches as a child and through my teen years. I was told flashing strobe type lights, soda (pop), and stress were all major triggers for me. I used to love skating but would always leave the rink with horrible headaches. I quit drinking soda but still got the migraines. I was on a medication called Midrinite (or something close to that name. It has been years. It was a redish colored capsule). I did not prevent them but was what i took to help get rid of them. Nothing over the counter ever worked. I dont get them as frequently anymore but i do still get them really bad. Sometimes i get them so bad it makes me vomit. I have a reusable ice pack. I have to lay down with an eye mask to block all light and place the ice pack on my head. The ice helps me tremendously! It is actually getting pretty old and showing wear and i am worried about finding another one.
  • ALAdams
    ALAdams Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sadly i think it is a hereditary thing because my daughter who is 7 has been having frequent headaches. Not migraines yet but i am worried it may end up there for her too.
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    [q8uote="mysmileighs;32113009"]I used to get them all the time, usually on the placebo days of my bc pills. Now that I have an IUD, I'm told they will go away completely.

There was no eating or exercise with mine. Dark, silent room. And lots of Excedrin.

I hope you find something that works because they are the worst![/quote]

I wish it worked that way for me! I've been using the Mirena IUD for 6 years and that hasn't seemed to have any effect. :(
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get severe hemiplegic migraines, that actually cause partial to full paralysis on my left side and lose speech and ability to swallow. I have not been able to find a medication that helps me, as most I cannot take, but I have found that avoiding certain foods, sleeping the same amount of time each night, and keeping everything on a fairly strict schedule have helped me. I avoid nightshades, soy sauce, cheese, wine, alcohol,glutamates, watermelon, anything with yeast extract or autolyzed yeast, over exhaustion, etc. I stay hydrated and don't skip meals. Seasonal allergies and weather are big triggers for me too, but try to avoid allergy medicines with pseudo ephedrine in them, they can cause wacky blood vessel response. I take butterbur supplements along with riboflavin and magnesium, which my neuro recommended.

Some of the medicines I have taken were some of the triptalyines, and lamictal. The triptamines made me really groggy on the lowest dose, and made me want to stuff my face with candy.... I could not function on them. The lamictal gave me a dangerous rash, but that one seemed to kind of help a bit before I had to stop taking it.

I would suggest just weeding out your triggers, if you exercise, bring your heart rate up slowly, and bring it down slowly, and try to keep a schedule. Those were the things most helpful to me. Hope you get some relief soon!

I also wanted to add that my migraines used to be normal until I turned thirty. Then they got wacky. Hormones play a big role in them so I am told. Birth control could make things better or much worse depending on your situation. I was told I could never take birth control again or I could have a stroke. I was already on a gluten free diet before the migraines started, so for me, it didn't make much of a difference. The yeast in breads seemed to be a factor though.

• marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, if I am just having a standard migraine, exercise will actually get rid of it faster. It will hurt worse in the beginning, but it seems to burn out faster this way. 30 minutes of cardio a day is very good migraine prevention so my doc tells me.