New & a Celiac

koodava
koodava Posts: 4 Member
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
So...any Celiacs out there willing to share there wisdom, on this condition?
The g-free food has so many calories!

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,599 Member
    I have CD too! Did you just get diagnosed? What is it you would like to know?
  • theladebug
    theladebug Posts: 54 Member
    Hi!

I've never been tested for Celiac but I'm definitely gluten intolerant. I just started eating GF in Jan, add me if you want, we can give each other pointers :)
  • Hi, and welcome!!! I have a gluten intolerance, but never had the biopsy for Celiac. I will send you a friend request :)
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    add me as a friend to if you like (any of you). I was dx earlier this year and my g-free life is awesome! In the beginning it felt like everything was so high calorie but it was just me splurging on all the gfree SNACKS I could find because I didnt want to feel like I would be deprived of anything. After a month or so I started planning real MEALS, consisting of protein (chicken fish, turkey. I dont eat beef or pork but those are options as well) and vegetables. I switched from white to brown rice, discovered quinoa, and started to use grits as more than a breakfast food (ie adding cheese, garlic, herbs, even did shrimp and grits for dinner). For snacks once again fruits and veggies with dips and if you can find pre packed ones that are already portion controlled (cracker packs, rice crispy treats, pretzels, string cheese, yogurt) you can keep track of the calories consumed. I limit pasta to once a week (high in carbs since made of corn, rice or soy) but that wasnt too difficult, and i bake a gluten free dessert once a week just for the hell of it! The 29lbs you see in my ticker majority of that was a result of my gfree eating! I can go on and on about food, but feel free to contact me if you have questions
  • koodava
    koodava Posts: 4 Member
    How do I beat the hunger. I am always hungry since I got diagnosed in October 2010.
    Nothing seems to satisfy my hunger. Any pointers?
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    are you still eating food that may contain gluten? I know for many its normal to have that hungry feeling after going gfree, but for me when i accidentally "gluten" myself my appetite is insatiable.if you are still getting gluten in your diet you are continually causing intestinal damage which means your body can absorb what your putting in it resulting in increased hunger. I would also suggest getting your sugars checked if possible. my celiacs caused some blood sugar issues that caused my body to go haywire. i could easily consume an entire pizza and be hungry and hour and a half later because celiacs and insulin resistance
This discussion has been closed.