BBQs, Birthdays, Graduations, Vacations.....oh my!

Options
With summer around the corner I'm already struggling with food! Everytime I turn around its a restaurant, BBQ, or wedding food, etc....I want to enjoy myself at these functions but haven't lost much weight recently due to the unhealthy food choices. I have a hard time with will power if I see wedding cake or chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant......any suggestions to get back on track would be great!

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I've been to two parties in as many weeks and didn't indulge. It is hard, but I had really good loss this week so it was worth it!
    Sunday however at my own graduation party I will indulge and not feel guilty lol!
  • Brookelee30
    Brookelee30 Posts: 102
    Options
    I do one cheat day a week and that helps me. My weight loss is still good ( it would never be fast enough in my book). I think it helps for occasions like that. Or exercise a ton one day and eat your calories back.
  • Brookelee30
    Brookelee30 Posts: 102
    Options
    I do one cheat day a week and that helps me. My weight loss is still good ( it would never be fast enough in my book). I think it helps for occasions like that. Or exercise a ton one day and eat your calories back.
  • Nikkita29
    Nikkita29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya!!! Seems like every weekend we have something going on that throws me off track, and not only do I end up eating bad, but I don't have time to work out either, and then I gain back everything I've lost the week before! To top it all off, now I am having stomach issues, and don't feel well enough to get to the gym. Oh and did I mention vacation is this Saturday? lol... Yep, I feel your pain. When you get some good tips, let me know!! :smile:
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy myself without worrying too much; but alot of times I will load up on exercise calories before going to a family gathering or party. One day here or there will not hurt; it's the daily intake of too many calories that get us.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do what I do, Get insurance! Ie Burn more calories to eat alittle more! It has been working for me ;) Do anything you have to do to Burn more calories so that when semi bad foods come along you won't feel nearly as bad but also try to stay within your Calorie goal. Best of luck to you!
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    Ughhh...I'm in the same boat the last couple of weeks. So many things going on that have cause me to stray from my normal eating routine. I'm disappointed with my food choices and lack of will power. I joined in March and did so well..always had will power until the last couple of weeks. I have been struggling to get back on track. Glad I saw your post. At least I know I'm not alone.

I like the insurance calories suggestion. :)
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When in doubt.....DANCE! lol Great way to lose weight without anyone noticing especially at weddings and birthdays.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    try and limit yourself to one cheat day per week and try to make the best choices you can (remember portion sizes) and when ever possible move more. Do a longer workout the morning of a wedding or bbq, and just get moving (dance at a wedding etc)
  • clay1976
    clay1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    it sound to me like you dont have the eye on the prize anymore. you lost your way for a short time but dont let it last long . is about your mindset not just will power. if you keep thinking about enjoying the company of people and yes , go there with the mindset to enjoy the food and not with the mindset that this time i will indulge and i start my healthy eating tommorrow. And of course keep in mind some practical tips: eat smth healthy before you go to the events, when you go there concetrate on people or activity rather then food. make sure to fill up your plate with healthy food first but dont deprive yourself of things you crave just choose them much smaller portions and eat slow, this way you will not fill deprived and you will feel in control.And is a great feeling that feeds your mind with positive thoughts and in turn your action will be positive. you can do it ,i know you can! You can get of the crazy rrollercoaster of emotions ,before it picks up speed, and you feel like you cant get off.Just remaind yourself that you dont want to live with that sick feeling every day.life is so much greater and beautiful than a number on the scale .When you know that you did your best to take care of yourself the punds will come of.Positive thinking =positive results.Now is time for you to get up and shake of the negative mindset, NOW, not tommorrow. I and so many other people in this site know that you can do it. all the best.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me with this is learning about portion sizes. For example, I love chips and salsa. I used to eat a whole basket of chips. I have learned that a portion is about 7 chips. So I allow myself one portion. I try everything I want, but only have a little bit. We have a weekly potluck with a group of friends, and doing this has allowed me to participate and enjoy everyone's offerings. I log it the best I can based on what I know is in the recipe. It's almost always home cooked food, so I can usually approximate pretty good.

This is a journey for your whole life, so there will always be parties and gatherings. We have to learn to enjoy them and spend time with people without feeling guilty or that we are missing out. It is possible to participate without blowing it.
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. "Insurance Calories" sounds like my best option...and yes the post about filling your plate with healthy foods and limiting the bad ones-good encouragement. Thanks everyone. I guess I'll be at the gym for an extra long time the next few weekends :)