Warming up?

Options
Hi!

I've noticed that maybe the first ten or fifteen minutes of my cardio (especially elliptical/bike/running) are much more difficult than the rest of the work out. Basically once I get past that point I feel as if I could keep going forever! (ok not really but I usually feel really good after that).

I was just curious if other people feel the same way and if anyone does any warm ups or anything that may reduce this intial strained feeling? I read some article about how our muscles are basically not used until we work them out and this may have something to do with why the start of a work out feels so difficult until our muscles properly warm up.........

Replies

• theladebug
    theladebug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think its normal.... I've heard the same about the first 10 minutes of running.... it just takes that long for your body to get in it's groove :)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes, your muscles definitely need warmed up.. and don't stretch cold muscles either. If you're going to stretch (which is recommended and very good for you) then warm up for five minutes, stretch everything real good and then take off with the cardio. You'll probably see a marked improvement in how you feel during and after.
  • spgipson
    spgipson Posts: 20
    Options
    I am new to the eliptical...but I feel the same way...after about minute 9 and 10 I suddenly feel like I can do it....those first minutes are agonizing and I doubt my ability to NOT call 911...but then I feel OK. I want to work up to 30 minutes by the end of the summer. I usually do 30 minutes on the bike first so it isn't the warm up.....at least not for me.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Yes! I think it's even termed "The Toxic Ten". Should be the toxic 15 if you ask me :-).
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above statement. It happens to me when I walk and do my aerobics. Just take it easy in the beginning so you don't strain too hard. then kick it up when you feel ready.
  • derekbfink
    derekbfink Posts: 1
    Options
    Exercise makes your body release endorphins. Endorphins make you feel good :) But it takes a little while for them to come into effect.

This is also why they recommend exercise for people who are depressed or stressed out.