cross-training: swimming or martial arts?

Options
So, I'm coming up on running my first 5k this weekend. Once I'm finished, I'd like to start incorporating another form of exercise to help cross-train and mix it up on the days that I'm not running. I'm considering either a swim class or a martial arts class. Both appeal for different reasons to me...so I'm really not sure which to pick! Any advice or thoughts on this?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Swimming is exercise. Martial arts is a skill. If you are getting "conditioning" or "cardio" or anything of the sort from a "martial arts" class, you are probably not learning anything close to "martial arts"
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Swimming - though my first choice would be true strength training. However, swimming will complement your running while giving you some upper body strengthening as well.
  • jujuk83
    jujuk83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I obviously don't know much about martial arts...I have never been around it. I thought it would be a form of exercise...shows what I know!

I am actually doing strength training twice a week right now with a trainer. It's been great to work my entire body. I'm wanting to prevent any injuries and make myself stronger all over. Sounds like swimming would be the way to go.