How did you lose weight? (I'm new to this)

Options
2»

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    valcala23 wrote: »
    Ate less calories. That's it. Seriously, 17lbs in about 120 days. Slow, but it's off and I'm in my goal jeans.
    No working out?

Nope. Maybe a few walks here and there when it got nice, but no. Eating less calories, staying under my limit, every day. The weight comes off. No exercise.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree, you can't go in with the mindset of 'I just want to lose weight, and fast' - you have to know that there isn't some magic end date. You cannot ever go back to the former lifestyle that you had that made you gain the weight. So you need to make changes you can live with for the rest of your life.

I like to eat more (and drink alcohol occasionally) so I choose to make time for moving more to help me lose and keep weight off.

I go to the gym 4-5x per week but I only spend 35 minutes at the gym. I walk 1/2 a mile to from my parking garage to work and I do it as fast as I can to give me a little boost in calorie burn. On the weekends, I don't think I sit down all day until dinner time, I am constantly moving.

I lost the weight in segments, 20 pounds from January to June. I had lost 10 pounds in the year prior to that and had maintained that, then lost the next 20 in 6 months.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Four words.... Eat less, move more.

Theres specific questions i asked if you dont want to post your story please dont post at all...!

Okay, I'll give you the unabridged version. I've lost 85 pounds so far. I eat the exact same foods I ate before, but MUCH smaller portions. I bought a food scale and weighed/measured everything I put in my mouth. I got off the sofa and MOVED. I walked. cleaned, and generally just got active.

There is no magic diet, or workout plan, or single thing that will work for everyone. You have to find what works for you. But first you have to get honest with yourself about a few things...

First, what isn't working for you. Are you eating too much? eating unhealthy foods? exercising too little? Find out what you're doing wrong so you can figure out what to do right.

Second, What are your goals? Are they realistic? Are they maintainable? Are they healthy?

Last, what are YOU going to do to get there?

THEN DO IT. No amount of coaching from people here or any other website will make you successful unless you know where you want to go,
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I know you probably think, "ok, everyone's giving me these "typical" "easy" answers that I've heard a million times before," but it's because they are the absolute truth. It took me a LONG time to realize this and have my epiphany moment. Seriously. Soak it in now, and not after a decade of crazy yo-yo'ing and trying to figure out the "magic secret" like me. lol. It's 100% about the math and science of it. In order to lose weight, you have to eat at a caloric deficit. Although it's easier said than done, that's really it.

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

...Read the post, read the comments. Read them over and over and over until you have your ah-ha moment like I did.

The thing I personally still struggle with (in my brain) is remembering this: "Eat at a deficit to lose weight; exercise for health and fitness." I've been exercising consistently, hardcore, high-intensity forever. I'm a gym rat. Sometimes I've been a 145lb gym rat, sometimes I've been a 210lb gym rat. Sometimes I've lost massive amounts of weight while doing "workout x y or z," and sometimes I've gained that weight back, all while working out even harder. I've told people I've had "massive success with such-and-such workouts the first time around, but not the 2nd time around," etc. ... I know now, that my weight loss successes/"failures" have been 100% nutrition-related. I had it hammered in my head so many times, but it just never sank in until I really delved into MFP. I let pregnancy, medications, hormonal issues, stress, and every other thing I could think of BESIDES "calories in vs. calories out" be my excuse.

I would say, "I eat all healthy foods...I eat salads every day...I only "cheat" now and then...I eat "clean". Then, my trainer, who's a total MFP guru, told me something that stuck hard and fast. She said, "You can eat the 'cleanest & healthiest' foods in the world...but 6,000 calories of 'clean, healthy' food...is still 6,000 calories. Yes. Yes. Yes. Back to calories in vs. calories out. I then realized my "clean eating" obsession was what helped me gain back 40lbs of pregnancy weight that I had already lost!!!

Also, for me, the "automatic" calorie burn calculations MFP puts out are highly inflated, so either use a HRM or only eat back like half of your exercise calories to be safe. (Yes, you can eat back exercise calories and stay in a deficit. MFP calculates your daily calorie goal as if you were trying to lose weight without taking additional exercise into account.

Oh yeah, and I ONLY ever enter "intentional" exercise (for example, I don't eat back 100 calories if I spend 1 hour cleaning my house, or total up the minutes I spend "incidentally" doing things like walking to my car or taking the stairs at work, etc. That's just how I roll, but I know a lot of people track steps and house chores, so play around with what works).

And, remember this...I've heard it on MFP forums a million times over: "Weight loss isn't linear." If you don't lose for a couple weeks, don't think you are "failing." It takes time. Some weeks I'm up, some weeks I'm down. Some weeks I stay the same. Some weeks I drop a few lbs at a time.

One last thing...treat MFP like it's Facebook. I don't even have a fb account anymore. This is the only social media I use. All of my MFP friends are friends in "real life" and I make my diary public. Support and accountability. Be active in the MFP community. This social media site has a purpose. I used to spend hours on facebook. At least on here, I'm on it and in it for my health.

I hope all of this helps!!!
  • valcala23
    valcala23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Four words.... Eat less, move more.

Theres specific questions i asked if you dont want to post your story please dont post at all...!

Okay, I'll give you the unabridged version. I've lost 85 pounds so far. I eat the exact same foods I ate before, but MUCH smaller portions. I bought a food scale and weighed/measured everything I put in my mouth. I got off the sofa and MOVED. I walked. cleaned, and generally just got active.

There is no magic diet, or workout plan, or single thing that will work for everyone. You have to find what works for you. But first you have to get honest with yourself about a few things...

First, what isn't working for you. Are you eating too much? eating unhealthy foods? exercising too little? Find out what you're doing wrong so you can figure out what to do right.

Second, What are your goals? Are they realistic? Are they maintainable? Are they healthy?

Last, what are YOU going to do to get there?

THEN DO IT. No amount of coaching from people here or any other website will make you successful unless you know where you want to go,

Thanks thats much better im asking because i would eat whatever i wanted and not gain a single pound i was skinny until my son was born after that i got "fat" even after eating yhe same food from before when he was born im askin for advice here this is all new to me any KIND advice would be helpful without taking it the wrong way i hope you understand me.
  • valcala23
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    I know you probably think, "ok, everyone's giving me these "typical" "easy" answers that I've heard a million times before," but it's because they are the absolute truth. It took me a LONG time to realize this and have my epiphany moment. Seriously. Soak it in now, and not after a decade of crazy yo-yo'ing and trying to figure out the "magic secret" like me. lol. It's 100% about the math and science of it. In order to lose weight, you have to eat at a caloric deficit. Although it's easier said than done, that's really it.

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

...Read the post, read the comments. Read them over and over and over until you have your ah-ha moment like I did.

The thing I personally still struggle with (in my brain) is remembering this: "Eat at a deficit to lose weight; exercise for health and fitness." I've been exercising consistently, hardcore, high-intensity forever. I'm a gym rat. Sometimes I've been a 145lb gym rat, sometimes I've been a 210lb gym rat. Sometimes I've lost massive amounts of weight while doing "workout x y or z," and sometimes I've gained that weight back, all while working out even harder. I've told people I've had "massive success with such-and-such workouts the first time around, but not the 2nd time around," etc. ... I know now, that my weight loss successes/"failures" have been 100% nutrition-related. I had it hammered in my head so many times, but it just never sank in until I really delved into MFP. I let pregnancy, medications, hormonal issues, stress, and every other thing I could think of BESIDES "calories in vs. calories out" be my excuse.

I would say, "I eat all healthy foods...I eat salads every day...I only "cheat" now and then...I eat "clean". Then, my trainer, who's a total MFP guru, told me something that stuck hard and fast. She said, "You can eat the 'cleanest & healthiest' foods in the world...but 6,000 calories of 'clean, healthy' food...is still 6,000 calories. Yes. Yes. Yes. Back to calories in vs. calories out. I then realized my "clean eating" obsession was what helped me gain back 40lbs of pregnancy weight that I had already lost!!!

Also, for me, the "automatic" calorie burn calculations MFP puts out are highly inflated, so either use a HRM or only eat back like half of your exercise calories to be safe. (Yes, you can eat back exercise calories and stay in a deficit. MFP calculates your daily calorie goal as if you were trying to lose weight without taking additional exercise into account.

Oh yeah, and I ONLY ever enter "intentional" exercise (for example, I don't eat back 100 calories if I spend 1 hour cleaning my house, or total up the minutes I spend "incidentally" doing things like walking to my car or taking the stairs at work, etc. That's just how I roll, but I know a lot of people track steps and house chores, so play around with what works).

And, remember this...I've heard it on MFP forums a million times over: "Weight loss isn't linear." If you don't lose for a couple weeks, don't think you are "failing." It takes time. Some weeks I'm up, some weeks I'm down. Some weeks I stay the same. Some weeks I drop a few lbs at a time.

One last thing...treat MFP like it's Facebook. I don't even have a fb account anymore. This is the only social media I use. All of my MFP friends are friends in "real life" and I make my diary public. Support and accountability. Be active in the MFP community. This social media site has a purpose. I used to spend hours on facebook. At least on here, I'm on it and in it for my health.

Thanks this is really helpful.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    What workouts did you do? How long did you perform your workouts? What foods did you cut off to see results? What foods did you add to your new diet? How much weight did you lose? Where there mistakes you did, What did you learn from your mistakes?
    Share your story it would help me im new to this... :#

I walked. It varied, 30 minutes to an hour depending on my mood. I cut out no foods, I didn't add any foods. I lost 33 pounds. My mistake was letting myself get off course over the holidays. But I maintained and I learned that it's an endurance race, not a sprint. I will still get to the finish line eventually as long as I continue to cut calories.

• MelWick524
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »

Thanks this is really helpful.

You're welcome. (Now, every time I struggle with my own journey, I can just read what I wrote, lol!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What workouts did you do? How long did you perform your workouts? What foods did you cut off to see results? What foods did you add to your new diet? How much weight did you lose? Where there mistakes you did, What did you learn from your mistakes?

When I first started I did a few major things until I got good at them:

(1) I decided to walk everywhere I possibly could and be happy about extra opportunities to walk.

(2) I decided to get back in the habit of exercising, but gradually, since I was in miserable shape. I decided to go ride the stationary bike in my office workout room 3x/week for 30 mins on a light setting and did that for a while, just trying to be consistent about it (gradually increasing the setting to a higher one) and then started introducing more exercise.

and, most important for the actual weight loss, but for me getting active is huge for the motivation,

(3) I wrote down and thought about what I'd been eating and figured out how I could easily cut calories and make it more satisfying/nutritious. It turned out to mostly be (a) common sense, (b) not snacking just because but eating regular meals, and (c) getting more organized so I would be more apt to make good breakfasts, bring lunch, and whip up a good dinner when I got home from what was on hand, vs. deciding I was tired and had nothing appealing so would order Indian take out.

As I got used to this I added things and continued making changes, but I started out pretty simple as I wanted to make sure it was something that would feel easy enough and that I could stick with. Now exercise and eating well (and low enough calorie) are basically second nature. (I started 14 months ago.)
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    As others have posted before- calories in/ calories out. Track accurately with MFP. My diet hasn't changed much-other than trying to not drink most of my calories. I also learned that my snacks need to have a bit of protein or complex carbs to keep me going (ie apple w PB, Veggies and hummus, berries and greek yogurt). I do workout at least 5 times a week- for the health, the "me" time and to earn my glass of wine! I've also built in multiple strategies for support- A nutrition support group at work (I work at a university so the nutrition students and prof lead the program), a trainer at the gym (YMCA) and the MFP community. My workouts tend to be at the gym. Spin classes or TRX are my current go tos. But also walking, hiking, biking, skiing and yoga- because I enjoy these. HIIT videos at home when I can't get to the gym. And when its too nice out to go to the gym- a playground workout while the kids run around.
  • MelWick524
    Options
    My trainer also told me, "You can sneak snacks here and there and decide not to log little bites of this and that, but even if you're not keeping an accurate food diary in a journal or online, your body keeps one." I think about this ALL THE TIME... like last night. My son ate some of his chicken nuggets. I devoured the rest of them when he said he was full. Then, at 2am I got up had a glass of strawberry milk & a random spoonful of peanut butter. lol. I ended up logging it this morning, because, what is the point of "hiding" it? So my friends don't see it in my diary? So that I "forget" I ate it? Well, I can "hide" it all I want, but my body won't. It's such awesome advice, because I used to do it all the time, like I was sneaking around from somebody other than me. It's so strange how our brains work!!!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking beer, cut way back on other alcohol, and overhauled my diet. I replaced a lot of the food I was eating with whole foods that were lower calorie so that I didn't end up hungry all of the time (I'm not very good at eating anything I want but keeping the portions small, which works for many people). I started cooking my own meals instead of going to fast-food restaurants or ordering pizza. I walked or did resistance machines at the gym a couple times per week (have been slacking on that lately). I started doing all of that in September of last year and as of today I have lost 39.5 lbs. So, around 7 months.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The first time I gave MFP a shot I ate a stupidly low number of calories and worked out like crazy....lost 45lbs in 4 months and over a year and a half I gained ALL of it back. So this time around I'm doing this differently and it's working really well.

This time around I've gone from 158 to 143 in just about 3 months with another 20 lbs to reach my goal weight. I tend to follow a 5:2 schedule where I eat "maintenance" calories (about 1700) 5 days a week and eat 500-600 two days a week. It seems to keep my cravings at bay and I feel great doing it....it's not for everyone though.

My biggest advice is don't cut out certain foods just because you think they're "bad". There's no "bad" food. If I am too restrictive I end up going crazy one day and putting on a pound or two and get discouraged. Eat what you want in moderate amounts.

As for exercise, I lost the weight I have so far without it. I just recently started running 3-4 days a week. I will start working out harder once I've gotten closer to my goal weight.

Good luck, hope this helped a bit :)
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    80 pounds gone, very simple, eat less, move more.
  • valcala23
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice and letting me in on your journey wether it was a good adventure or a bad one, I really appreciate the time everyone took to post, you might not think so but it really is helpful to hear all these different stories.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not a success story yet, but so far this has been working for me:

The only thing I cut out is soda and sweet tea.
    I added in more veggies, because it's good for me. I budget some calories for a treat (reasonable portion of something I truly like) regularly.
    I exercise by walking 30min-1hour each day, with usually one day a week when I don't do a 'walk for exercise' but am otherwise lightly active like cleaning the house (going up and down stairs 20-ish times usually!), sight-seeing or taking a short hike/walk in a park. I don't generally track that 'doing fun or required stuff that's also sort of exercise.'

The mistakes I've made are not planning ahead and finding myself with nothing healthy to eat, and going over my calories because I neglected to log something in and forgot about it. I've learned to actually take the time to plan out my meals, and to log food right away while it's fresh in my memory.

I haven't lost that much yet but it's only been a short time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I simply kept all the foods I love and learned about weighing food, logging everything I eat, doing portion control, including exercise calories, and most importantly, I learned how to eat within a weekly calorie deficit. I also learned not to beat myself up when I go over calories, and to just pick myself up and carry on. I've lost 44 pounds and maintained for over a year.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I didn't really do any workouts. Just focused on eating within my deficit most of the time and making sure I met my protein/fat/fiber targets every day. I added a daily walk after a few months, but only help ease my back. I rewarded myself for losing 65lbs by joining a gym and becoming much more active.

I also ate out as usual, did business trips and vacations when I didn't log and just managed to get back on to it when I got home. You don't have to be perfect.

Mistakes?.. Honestly, what I did worked for me. I wish maybe I'd done it sooner, but that's about it.
  • valcala23
    Options
    I didn't really do any workouts. Just focused on eating within my deficit most of the time and making sure I met my protein/fat/fiber targets every day. I added a daily walk after a few months, but only help ease my back. I rewarded myself for losing 65lbs by joining a gym and becoming much more active.

I also ate out as usual, did business trips and vacations when I didn't log and just managed to get back on to it when I got home. You don't have to be perfect.

Mistakes?.. Honestly, what I did worked for me. I wish maybe I'd done it sooner, but that's about it.
    Thanks for your information and good to know your doing great!!!..