Who takes Supplements?

Options
What kind of supplements and/or vitamins do you take? Do you log them or omit them and why?

Replies

• ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins A, B complex, C, D + calcium, E, Selenium, Collagen, and Iron. Sometimes I'll take tumeric and garlic/cayenne supplements.
    Until recently I was logging all of them, but decided that I should try to focus my attention on the amounts I'm getting with diet.
    What does everyone else do?
    Should I incorporate any other vitamins, minerals, or supplements?
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I take a daily multivitamin, and yes I log it.
  • JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder suppliment(s), BCAA's, Kre-Alkalyn Creatine, pre-workout, and L-Lysine.

I only log the protein powder since i am using it as either part of a meal or a meal replacement and is calorie dense compared the rest. The other suppliments have minimal calories (usually less than 5)
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I log them. But, mine are also a significant number of calories and contain specific nutrients I track. If I wasn't tracking those nutrients or they were fewer than a couple of calories, I wouldn't bother.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder suppliment(s), BCAA's, Kre-Alkalyn Creatine, pre-workout, and L-Lysine.

I only log the protein powder since i am using it as either part of a meal or a meal replacement and is calorie dense compared the rest. The other suppliments have minimal calories (usually less than 5)

mirin'

• Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes. changes some days, depending on how I feel.

Since the start of my weight loss:
    200mg Caffeine Tablets (I don't drink coffee or tea so would have no/little tolerance naturally)
    and Mega Green Tea extract
    For the initial week, those two are amazing at appetite suppression, increased heart rate, slightly increase metabolism, etc.
    Gotta cycle them on/off though, since body quickly grows a tolerance.
    On my weeks off of caffeine, I take chew 2mg nicotine gum. Stimulant too. And Nicotine alone, is relatively healthy/beneficial for the body (look it up), - obviously very unhealthy in cigarettes though. Up to 8mg / day I take of that for the week

I took CLA (conjugate linoleic acid) softgel tablets. I personally found that they did help retain a little extra lean mass, when losing weight. Out of them now though, don't feel like buying more. haha.

I take Cayenne Pepper supplements, healthy for the heart. + Thermogenic, I notice a fair bit increased heat/sweating during workouts or exercise after taking them.

I recently starting taking an omega 3/6/9 supplement. Just cause - well its good for you. Almost everyone should take an omega supplement.

I take a "super" multi vitamin too since I'm at only 1200cals/day intake, and don't really have a a big variety in my diet. Just to prevent any deficiencies.

And protein powder (not tablets), to make shakes out of. Helps me get that extra protein i want. I like the protein powder. No other reason really.
    When focusing on building strength I also have powders of Creatine/BCAA/Beta Alanine and one other I can't remember. But I'm not currently taking them.

No supplements are magical at weight loss or muscle building though. Still takes diet and lifestyle changes, and lots of hard work. What I take or stated for their use are just my own personal opinions though.
    But I will say that Caffeine + Green Tea extract, are an amazing combo. If used for short periods of time. (since quick building tolerance will make them non-effective after 1-2 weeks). But Caffeine and its effects aren't for everyone, some can't deal with it at all...

And no - I don't log any supplements. Too lazy to. no need, they don't really contribute any calories anyway. Only the protein powder, since it provides alot of protein, calories, some carbs/fats, and more.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I take 5,000 iU of vitamin d, vitamin b12, tumeric, fish oils and vitamin c in the winter. I log them.
  • whereslisa
    whereslisa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take food supplements given to me by my nutritionist after having a test done to see what I'm lacking in/what my endocrine, skin, blood, nervous, etc levels were. (And yes he is licensed, he's a chiropractor who went back to school to become a licensed nutritionist). I take 4 different supplements 3 times a day. It's been about 6-8 weeks or longer. After just 1 week I noticed a difference, I started feeling better, I had more energy, and the biggest thing was I was sleeping better. I had so so much trouble sleeping, I got 4 hours a night tops and I would wake up often. Now I sleep like a baby through the entire night. I had issues with restlessness for 2 weeks due to my body being sort of in healing mode, I needed rest to heal and recover. I also was given a meal plan and I follow it about 70% which helps a lot. If you take the vitamins and still eat like crap you won't feel a whole lot better, (they're food vitamins, food based) the more you follow the meal plan the better you feel.

The vitamins I take are by Standard Process, I take these 3 times daily-
    2 Drenamin
    1 Simplex F
    1 Ovatrophin
    1 Prosynbiotic

Also a huge difference they have made are with my stomach. I have IBS/Ulcers and have had issues with constipation since I was 5 years old. After taking the vitamins just 1 day later I started having bowel movements 4-5 times a day for about 5 days. Then it started evening out to 1-2 times a day. I stopped eating very good and stopped following my meal plan and my constipation came back, I started eating more fiber and following it again and it got better. Sorry if it's TMI, just sharing how much it's helped me. :)
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    A B vitamin complex every other day, and whey protein powder to hit my daily protein goals, especially when I lift.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie everyday for lunch.

Supplements i take are:

Probiotics
    Bee pollen
    evening primrose oil

The only things i add to my diary is the bee pollen and protein powder
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Every day:

Triple strength Glucosomine, Chondroitin with MSM. for arthritis.

Women's Multivitamin

Source Micro-Max. (Micro-nutrient/seaweed) Helps with allergies and hair and nails

Potassium. 1-2 a day because I just don't get enough of it in my diet and my work and play life depends on having good muscle and nerve function.

I do log them. Just started doing that. Mostly because remembering to fill in that part of my daily meal log reminds me to take them. :)
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options

How do you find using creatine? i've just started using it 2 days ago and interested in hearing about other girls experiences on it? ive got the optimum nutrition one :smile:

(sorry don't mean to hijack post)