Is walking enough?

Options
I've started MFP, i like walking but is it enough? Do i need to do toning exercises etc?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    is walking enough for what?

that's to generic.

is it enough to do qualify as exercise?
    sure.

is it enough to get you ready for a marathon?
    absolutely not

is it enough to help increase calorie burns?
    sure

is it enough to get you fitter with a better muscular frame?
    absolutely not.

edit- because I didn't feel like typing this all up again

So two big things. well 3.

1.) Calories- you must be at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Period. No working out required.
    2.) Lifting weights will help retain muscle mass so you don't just look like a smaller version of what you are now.
    3.) A well rounded fitness program for your health and wellness should/will include a cardiovascular component and a strength/resistance training program.

Those are the 3 big things.

You can start with the calories- that's easy. Log daily- buy a food scale- use MFP- or google TDEE and use that- either one is fine.

As for cardio- either for running- try couch to 5K- great beginner program- if you want to run. walking is fine- row machine- bike- whatever- not relevant unless you have a specific goal in mind. But walking is fine also.

For lifting
    Strong lifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength
    strong curves

or you can do body weight-
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all great places to get started!
  • Silversparkle13
    Silversparkle13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great response.. Thank you.
    I'm just trying to focus on weightloss at the min but want to do some sort of activity. I'm not a gym person, dont like the indoors.. I was told to do something to help metabolism. It can all get confusing at times.
  • hawaiiandream
    hawaiiandream Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think he said it all...
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    walking a mile in an hour... not so much... walking 5 miles in an hour.. much better... walking frromthe fridge to the couch.. meh... walking 2 miles to get groceries and carting back 2 20 lb bags of flour... + milk and eggs awesome... it's about context.
  • cshankes
    cshankes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You need to do what will work for you. I have started walking daily trying to go in between 2 & 3 miles. If that fails, I walk around the living room during commercials on TV. It may not be much, but every little bit helps.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. If you just want to be active and achieve a slight calorie burn then sure. Also depends on how long your walks are.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I think @JoRocka nailed it - respect!

I'll just add that I lost ~75 lbs with walking and diet (knee problems prevented running), and dropped a further 25 lbs switching to elliptical and lifting, while still maintaining a deficit.

If I were to do anything differently, I would have started off with walking and lifting, to retain more muscle mass. I didn't quite understand the importance of lifting when I started. Now I do. Take JoRocka's advice!