Tips to cut junk!!!

Options
Hi, anyone know any good tips to help stay clear of junk food. When its in front of me i really struggle to say no! Then i have one thing and next thing im 600cals up! Anyone else like this? I need to be strong and learn to say no i guess! Where i work there is sweets & cakes EVERYWHERE!!

Replies

• rluna27
    rluna27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am having the WORST time right now not junking out. I don't know what is with this week but I have been obsessing over certain junk foods; I force myself not to eat them but end up over doing it on low calorie stuff. I wonder if I would be better off giving into my craving in moderation than way over eating healthy food that isn't making me forget my craving?
  • Silversparkle13
    Silversparkle13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find when i try not to eat something i end up eating more of it! Like a binge! The mind boggles!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i can't be around that stuff either most of the time.
    where do you work that its always around maybe we can try and figure a creative solution.
    is it literally a bakery? or are we just talking a work break room? is it a vending machine or free food that people just bring in for everyone
  • Silversparkle13
    Options
    Im a nurse and we gets multiple boxes of chocolates and cakes from patients.. You wouldn't actually believe it unless you seen it. You go to tea room and its there.. Nurses station it's there. Very hard!
  • beamer0821
    Options
    are you abel to avoid the tea room until you can be stronger around sweets. can you bring your own low calorie portion control sweet to work so you are not depriving yourself but eating it in a controlled manner when you want something sweet?

the stuff that gets dropped at the nurses station can you move it to the tea room?
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Some people will say have a little bit of the thing you crave/want so as not to feel deprived and feel less likely to overeat. Others will offer advice on how to steer clear of any and all temptations. I try to go for a balance of the two. You shouldn't avoid food. Food is not evil. Too much of anything isn't good for you. Maybe try to save yourself a set amount of calories either each day or once a week, whatever works, for you to have the thing you want to eat. All foods can work in your diet.
    I personally find that the more I say I can't eat this, can't have that, the more likely I am to obsess over that food and want it even more. When I tell myself, sure you can have it, you just have to save the calories for it, I either find a way to work it into my day or realize it isn't worth the splurge right at the moment.

Best of wishes to you!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Have a pack of gum, buy those small tubber wares and fill it with fruits and/or veggies. Have some Philedelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese and use it with your fruits/veggies, have some tic tacs, go to the bathroom and rinse some water in your mouth
  • beamer0821
    Options
    yes this will solve all your problems. eat veggies instead of cake! duh!
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    buy those small tubber wares and fill it with fruits and/or veggies.
  • Silversparkle13
    Options
    Im greedy! Thats my problem.. Have to get a grip and not make excuses!
  • beamer0821
    Options
    i think you'd be surprised as @r5d5 pointed out just ALLOWING yourself to have a portion of whatever is there might be enough

problem is you've probably never done that. its a self fulfilling prophesy. you believe you can't control yourself so you don't and dive head first into a chocolate cake and then feel bad about it.

but what if you just gave yourself permission and made it less illusive?
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just have a small portion...a spoonful, one little piece. It's not going to hurt you. You will burn that off with your exercises. Again, small portion for the day won't break you.
  • Silversparkle13
    Options
    Yes you could be right.. I need to have a smaller amount and not over indulge!
    Easy said than done but i need to keep trying. Have you had much success
  • Silversparkle13
    Options
    r5d5 wrote: »
    Some people will say have a little bit of the thing you crave/want so as not to feel deprived and feel less likely to overeat. Others will offer advice on how to steer clear of any and all temptations. I try to go for a balance of the two. You shouldn't avoid food. Food is not evil. Too much of anything isn't good for you. Maybe try to save yourself a set amount of calories either each day or once a week, whatever works, for you to have the thing you want to eat. All foods can work in your diet.
    I personally find that the more I say I can't eat this, can't have that, the more likely I am to obsess over that food and want it even more. When I tell myself, sure you can have it, you just have to save the calories for it, I either find a way to work it into my day or realize it isn't worth the splurge right at the moment.

Best of wishes to you!

Great advice! Thanks
  • jillyber
    jillyber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to put the craving off and tell myself, "if I'm still craving this in an hour, then I can have some. Usually, I'll get busy doing something else and forget all about it. If after the hour, I still want it, I'll have a small amount.
  • sorbus33rowan
    sorbus33rowan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find planning out what you're going to eat, including snacks and stuff can help. If you've got healthy stuff prepared then you wont find youself going hungry and reaching for the junk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Im greedy! Thats my problem.. Have to get a grip and not make excuses!

Yep, that's pretty much what I found. There are always sweets around where I work too. It just comes down to which do you want more - to lose weight or pig out on free sweets?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The following works for me.

Every single time you give up and eat something just think how pointless it was. A minute of indulgence and feeling good then hours of guilt and potentially a whole day wasted. At the end of the day the few minutes of pleasure you gain from eating "junk food" just isn't worth it.

I've found fitting something sweet into my day (about 20gs of nutella in my porridge in the morning) stops me from getting cravings. Over time using that mindset I've learned to control myself as I know I will just be disappointed and have wasted a whole day.
  • Silversparkle13
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    The following works for me.

Every single time you give up and eat something just think how pointless it was. A minute of indulgence and feeling good then hours of guilt and potentially a whole day wasted. At the end of the day the few minutes of pleasure you gain from eating "junk food" just isn't worth it.

I've found fitting something sweet into my day (about 20gs of nutella in my porridge in the morning) stops me from getting cravings. Over time using that mindset I've learned to control myself as I know I will just be disappointed and have wasted a whole day.

Ok Nutella in porridge sounds amazing!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain! I too work in a place that has a bakery dept with the best sweets. Cupcakes have always been my downfall. Problem is, one is never enough of anything for me. If one is good then three would be better right? I have learned that excessive amounts of processed sugars do not make me feel well and they tend to just keep me wanting more. I end up on binges lasting weeks. I have replaced my sugar cravings with fruit for one month. It got the junk out of my system and now I no longer crave it. For me, unless it's something I truly want it's not worth it. That is what I told myself and it's still working. Nothing is off limits but I just try to remember how it will make me feel.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Eat properly so you are fuller often and then you do less boredom eating. Take responsibility for what you eat its in your control. Remind yourself why you wnat to lose weight and how it benefits you when compared to eating the item. have lower calorie snacks at hand or just moderate amounts.