When your overweight but your bf, gf or spouse is fit (MFP NEWBIE)

Options
Hi, my names Lesieli. A lot of people call Sieli, Leslie or Leli. Take your pick. The past 10 years my weight has gone up and down. I was always the big girl out of 6 sisters that I have. My significant other right now is a marathon runner, very active and has been for a few years now. He try's to help me and support me in health and physical goals that I have. I feel like I'm a big burden though at times. He and a friend suggested this app but I just had to laugh at first because I'm trying to see how this would help me. I'd like to meet other people on here and share thoughts and opinions with about the journey using this app

Replies

• rosiebubbles02
    rosiebubbles02 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I added you, I love this app! And I have a very fit husband, but am not so fit myself :smiley:
  • perilousbard
    perilousbard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I relate to your story. My significant other is a fit scuba diver/marine biologist who has a naturally trim body type. My weight, as it always does, bounces up and down depending on my activity level. Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • Mamaof2getsfine
    Mamaof2getsfine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh... my hubby is a fit fitty. I tell him all the tym that he can't be walking around looking better then me. Lol. I'm ready to start getting back into shape. Good luck to u. We got this. Add me if u like.
  • LesieliSky
    LesieliSky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm looking forward to gaining more friends, getting more feedback and sharing my experiences as well. FYI... when I graduated high school I was almost 300 lbs and over the years I've lost 60 lbs. (way before I met my significant other) I've managed to maintain the weight loss but I have to lose more now to be where I want to be is all.
  • Tetrelle
    Tetrelle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm a big girl and my husband isn't really fit, but he is one of those guys that has the metabolism of a child so he can eat whatever he wants and maintain a normal body. So jealous ;)
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    MFP can help you. When I am diligent about logging my food and exercise it helps me see where I am overeating. I tend to not eat back all of my exercise calories, leave a couple three hundred, but I do try to, more recently, eat 1200 cal daily. Yes I go over my calories, this week especially, but I start again the next day. Having the friends on MFP help with encouragement and advice. In the past I have lost weight through WW and MFP. Gained it back and I know that for me weighing and measuring my food is what works best for me. Good luck and feel free to add me if you want.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Leslie, same here. I love eating and drinking too much, whilst my husband has always been athletic, and always stops eating before he is full. He often voiced that he wants me a bit slimmer, and I guess he's the reason I never become obese, just overweight. This app will help you, but you'll have to be patient and consistent, log daily and accurately. For weight loss, it does not matter what you eat, just stay within your budget. So this fits every lifestyle. And I am pretty sure your husband does not think you are a burden.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hey! A supported s/o will make a big difference. Find a lifestyle you love and can maintain and weight loss will not only be easier but ideally permanent.
  • LesieliSky
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah I've gotten the hang with calorie counting now so this week I will be incorporating my exercise and workouts... My goal is to be a more healthier, stronger and better me by my birthday on August 23rd. I so want to maintain all that I will accomplish though doing this. I won't see my S/O till then as well so it will be a big plus when he sees what I've been doing.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    My husband is fit, active and watches his nutrition. I have always been overweight lazy and ate badly. However when I joined MFP a few years ago I learned so much and got so much support that I have lost weight (and kept it off) and eat much more healthily. Remember that finding the exercise you enjoy is key. I love to lift weights (when my joint issues allow) but tried cycling with my husband and hated it. Good luck :)
  • LesieliSky
    Options
    Thanks
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I can barely make it through a 5k in an hour and my husband can knock one out in about 30 minutes. I hate watching him run! He was military when we met, so he's had keep up his fitness and continued after he retired. I have always been much heavier then he has. But I am working on it now- and enjoying my slow-mo 5k much more then I ever thought I would. :)
  • LesieliSky
    Options
    My goal is do a 5k before the end of 2015.
  • BlahUnderpants
    BlahUnderpants Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend likes to think of himself as fit, however, he could do with dropping about 30lbs himself. With that said, he is much, much fitter than I am. It doesn't really bother me as I have always been attracted to slimmer guys. Though, I do often wonder if the weight difference bothers him. Regardless, he is a huge fan of PDA and loves showing me off.