Heaviest I have ever been! I need some tips.

Options
Hi all

I am now 14 and a half stone and a size 16.

I was quite successful in weight loss last year and managed to get down to 12 stone, but I ended up slipping up as I was in a car accident and injured my back and knee (and a bunch of other stuff happened) and I ended up turning to food for comfort (silly I know) and gained so much weight. I had to give up my hobby which was helping my weight loss.

I weighed myself recently and was ashamed at myself for letting it happen and not even noticing. This gave me the motiviation to say "no more" and I am going to do it this time. My ideal weight is 10 stone 8 so I have quite a bit to go (4 stone to be exact).

I have stopped buying crisps and sweets for the house (my family has started being healthier as well). I now try to eat nuts and fruit for snacks etc and eat a proper breakfast instead of a chocolate bar. I have cut out all the fizzy sugary cola and opt for water now.

I also go out and walk for an hour a day at least becuase I am not able to do anything that is too strenuous at the moment.

I havent lost anything this week, however, which is disappointing, but I think I might be doing it wrong!

I know I am not very good at eating healthily so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    All you need to worry about for weight loss is calories, so as long as you're hitting your calorie goal you'll lose weight. Make sure you weigh everything you can with a food scale (looks like you do from your diary but thought I'd better mention it). Also looking at your diary you've gone over your goal by a few hundred every day for the last few days, so I'm not surprised you haven't lost anything yet! That said, keep in mind that weight loss isn't linear - some weeks you'll lose weight, some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. Try not to get disappointed about not losing weight for one or two weeks (I counter this by weighing everyday instead of once a week, but that doesn't work for some people).

As long as you're in your calories you'll be fine!
  • HeatherBrown4
    Options
    :-) Thanks.

I will get a proper scale I think. I generally go by what it says on packets and things rather than actually measuring to be honest.... If I have half a packed of something of 100g, I say thats 50g etc. Probably not the best plan tbh.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I often do the same with packaged foods, I'll often log half a packet of something if I've had roughly half a packet. Most of the time it's not too bad, but if you find you've stopped losing weight for a few weeks then it's worth tightening up your logging with things like that and weighing them properly.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Consistently logging accurate food and beverage intake, and calorie burns, is the most important thing you can do. Try to underestimate your exercise calories and overestimate your food and beverage calories rather than the other way around. You'll be surprised to find out how inaccurate serving sizes can be from item to item in a package if you start weighing them. For calorie-dense items this can really have an impact.

When you have a lot to lose you can usually afford to be a little less strict with the weighing and logging but if you stop losing (or haven't been yet) you'll want to try to be as accurate as possible to get things moving again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure all consumption. Caloric deficit equals weight loss. Go get it!
  • HeatherBrown4
    Options
    I am going to definately get out some scales and start weighing! :-)
  • Jephimykes
    Jephimykes Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm at 40 stone, down from 44 (yes, I'm an American and I know how to check weight in stone :D). There are lots of plateaus that happen. Don't get discouraged; analyze what you ate the week prior, and adjust as needed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a healthy snack but very high in calories, so you're probably eating more than you think.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
  • HeatherBrown4
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I weighed today. I stayed the same weight BUT my percentage of body fat is way down. :-) so I think that's a good thing.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about day to day fluctuations in weight! Eat every couple of hours to keep your metabolism up and stay with healthy snack! I always have fruit, tea and greek yogurt on hand because I know that I'll want to snack at some point during the day!
    Keep up the walking and keep reminding yourself why you are doing what you are doing! Anything worth having is worth working for =)
  • LittleMissYoYo
    LittleMissYoYo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't worry chick! I've gone from 15st 9 to 12st 6!
    I also document my journey on Instagram henc the kelly.gets.fit name, You can do it chick, you've proved you can do it once and you can do it again x
    2ujrsyu.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I weighed today. I stayed the same weight BUT my percentage of body fat is way down. :-) so I think that's a good thing.

how are you measuring bodyfat %? scales?
  • HeatherBrown4
    Options

how are you measuring bodyfat %? scales?

It's a special machine. You hold the handles and it uses electrical impulses (or something) to tell you your body fat percentage. It's the same machine that weighs me and calculates my bmi.
  • Joliekay1582
    Joliekay1582 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Jephimykes wrote: »
    I'm at 40 stone, down from 44 (yes, I'm an American and I know how to check weight in stone :D). There are lots of plateaus that happen. Don't get discouraged; analyze what you ate the week prior, and adjust as needed.

Wow that's a great loss! Keep it up! Not sure how long it took u but still impressive!
  • Amyjanegirl
    Amyjanegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are on 1200 per day and you do say a walk and burn 600kcal. This is added to your total..do you guys use these or just stick to the 1200?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I would depend on how hungry I am. Most days I'd probably eat some of them.

Keep in mind that it takes awhile to burn 600 calories walking, at least it would take me 3 hours or so. Your body would be burning calories if you were lying in bed for those three hours (3/24 = 1/8 of my total daily calorie burn) so you want to factor those calories out.