Lesson learned

Options
I have been craving a cheeseburger and onion rings from my favorite burger place. We decided to celebrate the first nice evening of the year by going and enjoying their patio. I planned all day to make sure I could have whatever I wanted. I made a few changes to my old standby, such as a wheat bun and no mayo, but mostly I just got what I wanted. And it was sooooo good and I enjoyed every bite. And I don't feel guilty at all!

However, here is the lesson part. I can't eat like I used to. I ate the whole burger but only half my onion rings, and I drank water instead of soda both of which I would have done before. But I am so full that I am uncomfortable. I realize now that I used to feel like this all the time after I ate, bloated and uncomfortable but I didn't notice it as odd because I felt like that so often.

I have learned now to eat smaller portions, so I don't feel that way anymore. I hate it. So now I know if I want to go enjoy a wonderful yummy burger again, and I am sure I will, that I need to cut it in half and just eat half. I will still be satisfied and not yucky feeling too.

Replies

• haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It took me a while but I learned that too. Now I know why I didn't have energy to exercise or anything else. It's a good life long lesson, congrats!
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    I'm still learning but I totally understand what you're saying. I did really well for the first few weeks and then started sliding and surprise surprise, I started feeling that same uncomfortable tummy again. It's amazing when you realize how much a diet changes you on the inside before you even start seeing the numbers.

:smile:
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    Hear, hear! Yesterday for lunch I ordered a grilled veggie sandwich with a side of fries. As I worked my way through the meal, I found myself starting to feel rather nauseated and I didn't finish the fries. Before I would have eaten every last one simply because they were there. It's still a bit of a struggle, but every day I make a conscious effort to listen to my body and ask, "Am I full? Am I hungry?" I had stopped listening to those cues so long ago that it's been a fight to recognize those signals again. And knowing when you've had too much *before* that stuffed feeling is so key to our success!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That can be one of the hardest things to learn, and you already have it down.