Insulin Resistant diet

Options
Hello All! I am new here. I was recently told by my Dr. that I am "Insulin Resistant". I need to lose approx 70 lbs.
I started taking Actos and was told to watch my diet and have no more than 150 carbs a day (30 with breakfast, 15 with morning snack, 45 with lunch, 15 afternoon snack & 30 with dinner.)
I joined about 1 week ago and I have been tracking my food very closely since then. I've lost 4 lbs in that week and I've felt very positive and motivated.

The hard part is: 1) My husband & son are not on these restrictions and don't really want to change the way they eat. My husband doesn't cook so I'm almost stuck making 2 meals. 2) I MISS PASTA! I just can't find a way to sneak it in without it being such a small portion size that it would just taunt me. I literally ALMOST cried tonight while fixing dinner because I wanted it so bad!

I have always been the type of person to be able to accomplish anything that I put my mind to but I feel like pasta might be my achilles tendon (as silly as that sounds).

Please tell me I'm not the only one mourning pasta?!? Will it get easier? HOW LONG!? lol

Replies

• mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mmmm pasta. A great substitute (don't laugh) is zuchinni. I've made zuchinni-roni and cheese, and zuchinni-ghetti and they are pretty good! Just slice it really thin (or use a mandarin if you have one) and then saute for 10-15 mins in a little bit of oil till it's a little translucent then add whatever toppings you like! It's really good! I miss chips. I mourn Miss Vickies. But I just think of it as an allergy - I break out in fat.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You may miss pasta a whole lot longer... it's the reason for your IR and your weight gain. I'm IR too, but getting much lower carbs daily. If you are interested in reading a little science, but written so we can understand it - here is a good link
    http://www.fitbomb.com/p/why-i-eat-paleo.html#part2

Your husband will need to understand that you need to do this or else he won't have a wife, or a mother for his child. Sounds dramatic, but it's true.

Good luck in your journey.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Ronzoni Smart Taste is only 40g of carb per serving, and 5 of that is fiber (some low carb plans let you deduct fiber from your carb total). I think it has a good taste and texture as well.
  • adjoa_
    adjoa_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Shirataki noodles. They have virtually no calories and a extremely low carb count. You can find them in chinese stores. I'm sure if you substitute them with pasta it will be almost the same but guilt free.
  • piippola
    piippola Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is a good alternative to pasta.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm a pastaholic too and also insulin resistant. I treat myself once or twice a month to Barilla Plus pasta or egg noodles. They are lower carb options but you still feel like you are eating what you like and they really taste good too. Just remember your serving sizes and skip the garlic bread and other carbs that usually go along with pasta meals. Add a bunch of veggies to the mix to help balance it out and fill you up so you don't overeat.
  • Ally63
    Ally63 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic and I use Dreamfield Pasta. It's alot lower in carbs (5 grams per serving) and tates authentic. Give it a try!
  • outburstjessi
    Options
    I am also IR. I used to miss pasta, so so much, but I eventually found other loves that replaced it...bread and potatoes are still hard for me to resist...

I also know how hard it is to adapt to a new lifestyle when those around you don't have to. I know it can be hard, but eventually you will find a routine that works for you - and once you really start seeing results it will make it all feel worth it. Just keep your eye on the goals you set and be sure to find ways to reward yourself once you meet them - it makes everything a lot more fun!

Good luck!!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic and I use Dreamfield Pasta. It's alot lower in carbs (5 grams per serving) and tates authentic. Give it a try!

I have the same problem you (OP) do. Dreamfields is awesome. My entire family will eat it, since it tastes so much like normal.
  • ariesangel
    ariesangel Posts: 15
    Options
    I am insulin resistant as well. Ive noticed that the more I deny myself something that I really want, the more I crave it and the more likely I am to have a moment of weakness and give in to my craving. Pasta is also my downfall (I swear I was Italian in another life as I could literally LIVE on pasta). The best thing you can do for yourself is to allow yourself whatever it is you crave in moderation. I understand trying to space out your carbs to keep your sugars steady, but occasionally (maybe once a week or so), cut some carbs from your meals/snacks earlier in the day and save them for dinner so you can have your pasta and still stay under your goal. When I do eat pasta, I try to mix it with lots of fresh veggies so that I still get a filling portion, but with less carbs. I might use a linguine or penne and use marinara sauce instead of spaghetti sauce and add in broccoli, baby carrots, fresh mushrooms, etc. Thankfully, my husband isn't a picky eater and will eat pretty much whatever I fix for dinner. He understands my need to change my diet, and is willing to make it a household lifestyle change. We can all stand to eat a little healthier. And my 6yo daughter LOVES veggies and fruits. The key to getting everyone else on board, is to start small. If you try to change everything at once, it becomes overwhelming for everyone and you will meet with more resistance from your husband and son as far as changing their diets. Good luck and dont give up!
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Another insulin resistant here. And I concur with Dreamfields pasta. Only 5 grams of pasta are digested. And it is great!
  • afirecracker4
    afirecracker4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and join the club of low or no starches! I LOVE pasta too!
    I use the whole wheat but only eat it a few times a year as a treat. What is the dreamfields pasta everyone is talking about and
    where do you find it? What do you mean only 5 grams of pasta digested?
    Thanks
  • skshep
    skshep Posts: 30
    Options
    lol "Break out in fat". I like that!
    Thanks for the tips! I am gonna try them asap!
  • skshep
    Options
    Thank you! It is really hard for us "lay" people to understand. I have a hard time describing it to my family when they don't get it. They just immediately think it means diabetic.
  • skshep
    Options
    I have been using whole wheat pastas for about 6 months now. But my portion sizes are the problem...nothing sounds more comforting to me than a huge bowl of pasta and marinara. I NEVER crave candy or sweets...just pasta :( Thanks for the tips!
  • skshep
    Options
    Ok, also, I'm new here and I'm not sure when I'm 'replying' that it's replying to the person I meant for it to...should I be doing something other than just hitting 'reply'? :blushing:

And is there a way to get an alert if someone replys to a thread I started (email, etc)?

Thanks for all of the tips from everyone! I'll make sure to re-read everything when I'm having a day of weakness! LOL
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    lol "Break out in fat". I like that!
    Thanks for the tips! I am gonna try them asap!

Me too! That is hilarious! I am insulin resistant too (PCOS) and I crave carbs. I think it goes hand in hand, no? I am starting my MFP stuff tomorrow so I'll admit I had one last dinner of spaghetti. LOL But, here's what I found that's pretty good: spaghetti squash! I still got to eat spaghetti with my family (the other night-tonight it was actual spaghetti) and it was pretty good. Dreamfields is also good....it was recommended to me by a diabetic.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    I allow myself one day a week (the day after my weigh in day) to eat what I want regardless of calories, carbs or what not. You would think that it would be difficult to recover from that but it hasn't been for me. And even knowing I can eat as much of whatever I want, I still don't eat as much as I did when I wasn't watching my eating habit.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I;m not sure how much better this suggestion would be than the regular pasta . . but maybe consider Quinoa?

Here is some information on it: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/quinoa/carbohydrate

I hope this helps.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • irdietinfo
    irdietinfo Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi, totally understand your love of pasta - good suggestions here for alternatives! You might not believe it now but trust me, one day you'll miss it less. Your appetite will change.

Being insulin resistant isn't the end of the world. I think you should allow yourself an occasional splurge - plan it, look forward to it, have a little less than you usually do but really enjoy it. And then move on. Do a little extra exercise the next day to compensate, stay low carb for the rest of the week. As long as you're not lapsing into "treating yourself" every day, you can still knock IR on the head!!