I just dont get it!

Options
So a while I thought I was pretty savvy when it came to understanding what to do about weight loss, yet I never really used it for myself because I never necessarily had a problem with how I look, long story short I was blessed with a beautiful baby girl and it's been almost 2 years and I still have that post pregnancy tummy. I want to lose 15lbs to be comfortable and also tone up my stomach big time.

My thing is, I can't drink water. If I drink it by itself, I only throw it up (weird yes and I dont understand it). I mix things in it and I feel even more thirsty than before. I don't eat alot but when I do eat it's usually a small amount and i'll eat maybe 1 or 2 snack throughout the day. Needless to say if I dont eat something sugary i'll never reach the amount of calories I should be consuming each day. I've tried losing the weight a few months ago and I got nowhere, I struggle to eat the amount of calories I should and I exercise 4-5 times a week for around an hour (separated throughout the day). What am I doing wrong!?!?! and what can I do to really get this moving. I want to look good and actually wear a bathing suit this year.

Replies

• Caityrose
    Caityrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you should really talk to a doctor. throwing up water is not good. also not eating enough. maybe you need to change the foods you eat in the first place to reach the calorie goals.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you should really talk to a doctor. throwing up water is not good. also not eating enough. maybe you need to change the foods you eat in the first place to reach the calorie goals.

I agree. Talk to a nutritionist.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to implement a plan and stick to it....write out your plan ...caloric intake be realistic even if all you can do is exactly 1200...drink the water the best you can and add to it what you need in order for it to be drinkable....start with those flavored waters if you have to ... and exercise...no ones perfect BUT you cant start anything like this without some sort of attack plan....good luck.....dont compare your diet to anyone elses...just make it realistic and suitable for you..PS if your more thirsty then before you drank the water it seems you could be dehydrated ..so drink up if you have found a flavor or addition that suits you....If your pictures are recent you may just want to concentrate on strength training especially with 16pounds to lose ...food and portions may already be in order for you....
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no advice other than what has allready been said :) good luck
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

When I was younger my doctor swore it was just a phase. I literally struggle to drink 1 bottle of water throughout the day. I dont know what else I could be eating to reach my goals.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Water is very hard on an empty stomach, try some flavored Propel or something and drink it when you're eating. If you can't get enough calories, lay off the exercise. Only increase your exercise slowly as you add calories. Sounds like your body is in starvation mode and it'll store fat and feed off muscle until you bring it out of that mode.
  • acave9406
    Options
    sounds like you need to implement a plan and stick to it....write out your plan ...caloric intake be realistic even if all you can do is exactly 1200...drink the water the best you can and add to it what you need in order for it to be drinkable....start with those flavored waters if you have to ... and exercise...no ones perfect BUT you cant start anything like this without some sort of attack plan....good luck.....dont compare your diet to anyone elses...just make it realistic and suitable for you

Thank you. I've tried making my calorie limit 1200 per day but that day after calculating what I ate/drank throughout the day I only managed to make it to 870.
  • dreamesmile
    Options
    To help with drinking water, you should try the Mio brand water enhancers. They are a liquid that you squeeze into a bottle of water instead of powdery stuff. I think the flavors are better, and I don't feel thirsty after them like with the powdered ones. I've found them at target. As for the eating issues, you definitely should talk to a professional. There are some healthy foods that you can eat to reach your calorie goals without lots of fats and sugars, like avocados and fish.

Best of luck!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to implement a plan and stick to it....write out your plan ...caloric intake be realistic even if all you can do is exactly 1200...drink the water the best you can and add to it what you need in order for it to be drinkable....start with those flavored waters if you have to ... and exercise...no ones perfect BUT you cant start anything like this without some sort of attack plan....good luck.....dont compare your diet to anyone elses...just make it realistic and suitable for you

Thank you. I've tried making my calorie limit 1200 per day but that day after calculating what I ate/drank throughout the day I only managed to make it to 870.
    I would calculate it for more than just a day it could be that your zig zagging calories some day 870 some days 1400 not that 870 is good BUT if you find your not doing it daily you could always add in a meal replacement on your 870 days
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    try to add in some nuts. They are higher in calories (to help you reach that minimum calorie intake for the day) and they are higher in good fats. As far as the water goes...just sip water through out the day. It may be too heavy for your stomach. If that's the case you will throw it up every time to drink more than just a few sips. You can try different variations on the water. If I drink room temp water I will throw it up. I can only handle plain water if it's ice cold. You could try that. Also, I make strawberry water which is just fresh strawberries water and a little sugar (very small amount) all blended together. It's only about 20 calories per drink but it helps you get the water plus a little calories and the nutrients from the strawberries.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sannerloo
    sannerloo Posts: 5
    Options
    I like to add just a touch of lemon juice to my water (pure lemon juice, not lemonade or anything sugary). It's refreshing and feels better in my stomach than plain water.
  • wannbAhottie
    wannbAhottie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What about natural add in.... like lemon?
    or make some cucumber water?

It gets hard for me to drink water at times so I make cucumber water with fresh grated ginger root and lime, it really helps
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutrionist some time back and her recommendation was one 8 oz glass of water for every 25 lbs of body weight.

She was NOT a fan of the whole idea that EVERYONE needs 8 glasses of water a day.
    It's not a 1 size fits all answer: a man who is 6'5" and 300 lbs does not have the same requirements as a woman who is 4'10" and 90 lbs. There is no other nutritional requirement that has a one size fits all answer.

Also coffee and tea DO NOT DEHYDRATE YOU. The just hydrate you less effectively. They leave less water in your system than water does, but they do not suck it out of your system (like alcohol does). I'll count an 8 oz of coffee or tea as 4 oz. of water. I don't know whether my ratio is right, it's just a guess that I use as a guideline.
  • acave9406
    Options
    I went to a nutrionist some time back and her recommendation was one 8 oz glass of water for every 25 lbs of body weight.

She was NOT a fan of the whole idea that EVERYONE needs 8 glasses of water a day.
    It's not a 1 size fits all answer: a man who is 6'5" and 300 lbs does not have the same requirements as a woman who is 4'10" and 90 lbs. There is no other nutritional requirement that has a one size fits all answer.

Also coffee and tea DO NOT DEHYDRATE YOU. The just hydrate you less effectively. They leave less water in your system than water does, but they do not suck it out of your system (like alcohol does). I'll count an 8 oz of coffee or tea as 4 oz. of water. I don't know whether my ratio is right, it's just a guess that I use as a guideline.

Thank you!
    I'm a huge juice drinker, V8 is my favorite. I can drink a million glasses of that per day, but as I said before i struggle with 1 glass of water.
  • laneyh42
    laneyh42 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How about adding some smoothies to your diet? That way you get fluids and calories. I like to take whatever fruit I have on hand (fresh, but frozen if no fresh available) and blend it up with some ice cubes, and a scoop of whey protein powder dissolved in water. I usually add a tablespoon of ground flax seed meal to it as well, to get more Omega-3's. If its very tart, rather than sweet, fruit I'll add a little stevia to sweeten it without adding calories.

BTW, this a great post-workout drink/meal.
  • auntiebabs
    Options

> I make cucumber water with fresh grated ginger root and lime, it really helps

Sounds YUM!
  • auntiebabs
    Options

Thank you!
    I'm a huge juice drinker, V8 is my favorite. I can drink a million glasses of that per day, but as I said before i struggle with 1 glass of water.

Vegetable juices are great... Lots of nutrition a and not too much sugar.

Good Luck
  • colieg33
    colieg33 Posts: 3
    Options
    :noway:
    Hi everyone, my name is Nicole. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this calorie counting business. I have done this for 2 days now. I am not eating enough calories, because I am scared to go over the fats, proteins, and carbs. So, because of me not wanting to go over any of those, I am not eating the amount of calories I need. Does anyone have any advice for me. I am very eager to lose weight and need to figure this out. Thank you all for your help.:happy:
    Nicole
  • GoddessHips
    Options
    Have you tried to blend yogart with some water and blend frozen peaches or strawberries? or some other fruit? Its cool, refreshing, you increase your caloric intake and water as well..like a shake. Also soups (low sodium) are a good want to intake water. you can split it up throughout the day, you dont have to have a giant shake at once. There are low fat options. Beans are also high in calories. Get creative

You gointg to a doctor about throwign up water... its something a doctor will have no answer to.
    From what I have researched, for instance, how our brain remembers how to tie a shoe..you know we dont even "think about it"? but do it every day? Well that is called "neuroplasticity". It means that our brain electrical wires habits & memories to keep a circuit going. Are ya with me? So then as the brain remembers such things, it mixes chemicals and hormones with it. This keeps the same signal..same response. So everytime you tie your shoe you do it the same way. Or everytime you smell "cookies freshed baked" you think of home..or whatever. Much like a smoker having to quit for example: They have the challenge of overriding chemical with draw as well as habit. My advice..and this is not wack...hypnotherapy. Its imbedded into your "wireing" for some reason, the need to throw up water. How long has that "reflex" happened like this? You may want to look into that.

Also there are 2 nerves( cranial nerves we have 12) in your head called the Vagus and the Hypoglossal and they are the "wires" responsible for conducting the swallow/gag reflex..it seems to me you have something going on with them. If you want more info, feel free to friend me. Other wise , good luck.. you can over come this and reach your goals