Carbs

Options
how do you keep your carbs down when you eat a lot of vegetables? I eat clean protein and veggies and fruit.

Replies

• JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    They're really not simple carbs, so I don't think you should worry. Only thing I can think of is cut down on fruits and veggies?
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    "Clean", doesn't really exist.

Eat low carb vegetables then? eat lean meats that have minimum to no carbs?
    Turnip has like 6-8g of carbs for 100g of the vegetable? Baby carrots seem to have a similar about of carbs for 100g too.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't worry to much about carbs.

What do you mean by clean proteins, veggies and fruit? My food is always clean.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Replace some of the vegetables with more protein.

Eat more leafy vegetables.
    01357822537548cbafd20f88c4fee115.jpg
  • jsanford76
    jsanford76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I don't worry to much about carbs.

What do you mean by clean proteins, veggies and fruit? My food is always clean.

Mine too, I wash it before it eat it... Usually...
    Fruit and veggies are slow burning carbs due to the indigestible fiber content, but the simple truth is just as protein has its place in our diet, so do fats and carbs, we need all three.

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    carbs are not the devil.......
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What's a dirty protein? Higher fat or something?

Anyway, unless you have a really low carb limit, veggies shouldn't be an issue. I eat lots of veggies (plus some fruit, various starches, and dairy), and don't have particularly high carbs (not low either, of course).

Also, IF you are actually doing low carb, I believe the tendency is to count only net carbs (carbs less fiber) and if you subtract fiber from the carbs in most veggies the remaining number is even lower.

• sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am on keto diet and eat 20 net carbs a day. I also eat veggies every day. I just subtract fiber. I wash everything before I eat it...lol.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nitrate-free meats?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Is it really necessary for all of these AH responses? You know what she means....
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    This:
    "Also, IF you are actually doing low carb, I believe the tendency is to count only net carbs (carbs less fiber) and if you subtract fiber from the carbs in most veggies the remaining number is even lower."

Don't stop eating fruit's and vegetables!!!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    how do you keep your carbs down when you eat a lot of vegetables? I eat clean protein and veggies and fruit.

Unless you have a medical reason to keep your carbs down, you don't NEED to. If you're doing it by choice, that's a different matter. Most low carbers subtract fiber from their carb count when calculating their intake. I think I remember reading that there's even a script add on for MFP to list Net Carbs on your diary for that.

Fruits and vegetables are good for you, some choices have more carbs than others. If you're low carbing, you might want to join the low carb group to ask for some specific suggestions.

• Lindacastellano58
    Lindacastellano58 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I want to give up carbs!! Just not clear on good carbs and bad carbs. I will keep eating my veggies maybe cut down on the fruit
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Eat vegetables that have few carbs. So less corn, peas, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is it really necessary for all of these AH responses? You know what she means....

I don't know what "AH" means, and I really don't know what a "clean" vs. not protein is intended to mean. From pastured animals? Nitrate free, as suggested above (but why assume proteins would otherwise contain nitrates)? Lean (but it's not like fatty cuts aren't part of the animal, so why wouldn't they be "clean")? So on. I find it puzzling, that's all, so was curious.

Anyway, I answered the question.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    This:
    "Also, IF you are actually doing low carb, I believe the tendency is to count only net carbs (carbs less fiber) and if you subtract fiber from the carbs in most veggies the remaining number is even lower."

Don't stop eating fruit's and vegetables!!!

Depends where somoene lives. In the US, fiber is included in carbs on labels, so you deduct the fiber to get "net carbs." On the rest of the planet, fiber and carbs are listed as two completely different categories, so deducting the fiber would be inaccurate.
  • Lindacastellano58
    Lindacastellano58 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean clean protein I just forgot the comma lol