Breakfast ideas for people who hate cereal...

Options
Hey all,

I've been using my fitness pal for a while now but I decided it's time to join the community as I've piled all the weight I lost back on (22lbs) and I'm struggling to lose it again :-( finding it hard to motivate myself!

I was wondering if anyone has any nice breakfast ideas? I don't know what it is about cereal and muesli but I just can't stomach it, and I find that I'm eating eggs almost every day at the moment which can't be good for me! Does any have recipes they'd care to share - in the 300 calorie range?

Thanks for any recipes / tips :-)

Kim

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eggs every day.... Theyre a great breakfast

Get rid of your preconceived ideas about breakfast and the possibilities are endless. You can eat whatever you like - curry and rice, steak, eggs, pancakes, leftovers.... Or, nothing!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a pretty common breakfast for me. I add fruit, nuts, granola, etc to mine.
  • thatrabidgirl
    thatrabidgirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a bunch of low calorie and filling recipes. I love the breakfast recipes on there.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about a smoothie/protein shake?
    Do you like cooked cereals like oatmeal?
    Leftover pizza is good.
    Eggs are excellent! For a diabetic the punch of protein seems to have lasting power that can't be beat. Try egg muffins that you can freeze ahead of time.
    French toast.
    Pancakes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The concept of "breakfast food" was invented by companies who produce cereals to sell more of those products. There is nothing about cereal, muesli, toast, pancakes, even bacon and eggs that makes it any different to any other food. Eat what YOU like for breakfast!

My current weekday brekafast is a tin of flavoured tuna mixed with cottage cheese and spooned onto crackers.

In the past I've had sandwiches, wraps, frittata, left over casserole from dinner, steak... whatever the heck is easy and appealing.

Forget "breakfast food" and just eat what looks good and fits your goals for the day. Personally I like a good protein serve as it keeps me full.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are my go to: spinach, almond milk, plain greek yogurt, banana + other fruit (usually strawberries or mixed berries), or sometimes I sub out the extra fruit for protein powder or a spoon of peanut butter.
    I also do toast with PB or flavored greek yogurt (with less sugar than protein, usually I buy Dannon or Yoplait ones that have like 7 grams of sugar) with flax seed.
    Also love some scrambled eggs and turkey bacon on the weekends.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I had a chicken breast with sauerkraut and bbq sauce this morning. ...and my eggs but just because I wanted huge protein. The chicken could have been enough on a normal day. But....how about things that would be considered lunch or dinner?
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake, or English muffin with nut butter and greek yogurt, or scrambled eggs and buttered toast, or melon yogurt nuts. I have cereal maybe once a month and it's either oats and protein powder or Kashi go lean.
  • Nijelako
    Nijelako Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All great advice/options above...spot on.
  • paulbearss
    paulbearss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is just me or what but breakfast rarely settles good for me. (TMI)--->Not sure why but when I eat soon after I wake a lot of the time I get diarrhea with a queezy stomach. When I do eat it I like hard boiled eggs or a parfait from McDonald's or even a turkey sandwich. I'm not really sure why I decided to add this here??
  • BalrogSweetie
    Options
    Chocolate protein milkshake, whipped cream, and fruit on the side (can add a little instant coffee if you like mocha)

This one looks yummy! :)http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/mocha-protein-shake/
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Lately im having a mix and match of - greek yogurt, eggs (whole or just the whites depending on my day), tomato, mushrooms, tuna, ham, cucumber, avocado.
    i just pile i what i feel like on the day lol i exercise first thing in the morning so my breakfast has to be filling and nutritious
    Next week im gan mix it up and make some gluten free protein muffins and have some Coyo or greek yogurt with that
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    back bacon and eggs. back bacon is far far less calories and tastes similar to ham. or i go italian and have one slice of bread with fresh mozzarella cheese and some type of salami. i love breakfast! french toast isn't too high cal and makes a nice change. just be careful what u use as ur topping! i can seriously go on forever. im hungry now....
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, too, but sometimes switch to just having liquid egg whites, 2 slices precooked bacon, and super thin slice of cheddar cheese in a high fiber low carb wrap. Totally filling, delicious and under 300 calories. :)

Sometime's I'll do egg white sandwich with a high fiber english muffin and either the bacon or turkey sausage.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    300 calories?? Nope.

For breakfast, I usually have eggs & toast. Very occasionally I'll switch it up for a ham and cheese sandwich or a Jamaican beef patty (that is actually not far over, i think it's ~350 or 380, but coffee bumps up the cals). My brekkies are often in the 600 range.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein milkshake, whipped cream, and fruit on the side (can add a little instant coffee if you like mocha)

This one looks yummy! :)http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/mocha-protein-shake/

Ooh, that does look good! Thanks for sharing. I've gotten really bored of my usual protein drink!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What I usually have for breakfast:
    Greek yogurt with prunes or other fruit
    Sandwich
    Granola bar
    Leftovers
    Occasionally malt o meal cocoa dyno bites cereal with milk... For a chocolate fix.

Food is food. Eat whatever food you like to eat the rest of the day for breakfast.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt with fruit and nuts
    Toast with cottage cheese and sliced fruit
    Toast with a nut butter
    A sweet omelette
    Pancakes
    Oatmeal
    Smoothies
    Dinner leftovers if you don't mind savoury in the morning
    A couscous/quinoa/any grain and berry salad
    Rice cakes with whatever toppings
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes!!!!!!!!!! <3
  • kimrowan_
    Options
    Thank you everyone, really appreciate it :-) I think I'm gonna give the protein shakes a go!