Weight Question

Options
sy8s
sy8s Posts: 429 Member
How come some people don't look as heavy as the scale says? I don't really get it. Any insight on this??

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Because they are wearing vertical stripped shirts?
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    lol some people just carry it better? usually a bigger bone structure seems to help somewhat. genetics? its one of lifes great mysteries.
  • sy8s
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Really that's your answer? Lol
  • sy8s
    Options
    lol some people just carry it better? usually a bigger bone structure seems to help somewhat. genetics? its one of lifes great mysteries.

Oh ok, that helps! So maybe I'm big boned then. People always tell me I don't look as big as I say I am
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have a large bone structure and my mother has a small one. I look as good at 52-54kg as she does at 42kg. We are the same height. I also have more muscle.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    also never downplay the roll of a good wardrobe!
  • pattywedge
    pattywedge Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For me I am considered large frame so when people look at me they don't believe I weigh 186 lbs. I have always looked smaller than I am.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    sy8s wrote: »

Oh ok, that helps! So maybe I'm big boned then. People always tell me I don't look as big as I say I am

I get those remarks too. Many didn't believe me when I said I was 245 and they don't believe me now at 220. I'm not big bones but I do have somewhat of a curvy figure rather than looking like a sphere. Lol. Maybe having a definable waist helps.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Really that's your answer? Lol

Well I don't think your statement it true. It's just something you observe personally. Fat people look fat to me. Why is that?
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just like some people don't look their age.
    For some, it depends on how it is distributed, how tall they are, etc. Also exercise helps. Blessings.
  • JonKinarthy
    JonKinarthy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It depends on where they carry their weight. People thought I weighed 250 when I weighed 360. I don't know why.
  • sy8s
    Options
    Thank you every one for your good points
  • sy8s
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I get those remarks too. Many didn't believe me when I said I was 245 and they don't believe me now at 220. I'm not big bones but I do have somewhat of a curvy figure rather than looking like a sphere. Lol. Maybe having a definable waist helps.
    Yeah I'm an hourglass so maybe that's why

• prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I think some people carry weight in better places then others i carry weight all over weight all evenly but some ppl it just all sticks the gut
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    People don't believe I weigh as much as I do, but I am short (5'2") and very small boned and have fat where most people have bones. I have lost 20 pounds, and when I tell people only 40 more to go! they boo hoo me and think I'm going to become anorexic. Little do they know how fat I really am because of my small body frame!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Where they carry the weight, body shape, clothing they wear, lighting in the room. Can be a number of things. Had a friend tell me her weight the other day - I almost cried - she weighs a couple pounds more than me and looks at least 30-40 lbs lighter than me. Lucky girl.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    that being said and NOT to be debbie downer.....ive lost 60lb. i thought i carried my weight well when i was heavier. i am still amazed how different i look now .
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    that being said and NOT to be debbie downer.....ive lost 60lb. i thought i carried my weight well when i was heavier. i am still amazed how different i look now .

I never thought I carried my weight well, as I was 110 all my life until I quit smoking 11 years ago. But other people kept telling me I did, which used to give me an excuse to not worry about losing - or even maintaining - weight. But as I gained pound after pound after pound ad nauseum, and saw myself accidently in mirrors, I was horrified.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 287lbs but I am also 5'8", and an hour glass shape. I am fat, but there are people my weight that look MUCH bigger. Why? Because they are shorter, or they are a different shape....it's just about your body.
  • RCM_1971
    RCM_1971 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have been on this journey for the past six years, at different fitness levels a long the way. It's very fascinating how I have looked at different weights and different fat %. It's been a year since I have lost weight, and instead gained 40. I don't look anywhere near as bad as I did when I weighed this much even in the process of losing, because I have more muscle, and because I have less water weight, etc.. Our bodies are so interesting!

I put most of my weight on in the chest and tummy area, so in comparison to other women at my weight, I always look much heavier.