What's your favorite healthy whole wheat bread?

Options
What's your favorite healthy whole wheat bread and where do you get it?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Down for home made pumpernickel. About equal parts rye, whole wheat, and white flour. Molasses, cocoa, and caraway for flavour.
  • twentytwobecky
    twentytwobecky Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, but I'm trying to stay away from white flour right now to see if I have any noticeable changes in my body or mood without it.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 cups warm water
    2 Tbsp yeast
    5-6 cups whole wheat flour (depends on humidity, altitude, type of oil)
    1/3 cup oil ( I use olive)
    1/3 cup honey
    2 tsp salt

By far the best recipe I've found, I make it every week (It makes two sandwich type loaves or 24 hamburger sized buns). Sometimes while kneeding and prepping the loaves I add a layer of garlic powder and italian seasoning, the family loves it, tastes like herb garlic bread without all that added butter. It takes time and effort of course, but have never had a store bought bread, whole wheat especially taste nearly as good.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Down for home made pumpernickel. About equal parts rye, whole wheat, and white flour. Molasses, cocoa, and caraway for flavour.

That sounds amazing! I've never made pumpernickel before. I did try rye once but it was a doorstopper. I may have to try again.

I have 3 kids and we go through a half a loaf a day at least, I usually just buy the whole wheat bread from Aldi. $1.24 a loaf. :) I don't eat much bread though. This suits our needs.
  • twentytwobecky
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm right on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, so no altitude at all. So about how long to bake a loaf and what temperature?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    First mix warm water and yeast together with 2 cups of the flour and let the yeast activate for about 5-10 min, mix in everything else till it forms a sticky dough and kneed for 5 minutes, cut in half with a sharp oiled knife and place in two greased bread pans reshaping into round lumps tucking corners down and under (or cut each half into 12 even blobs and put on a cookie sheet), bake at 350 for 30 min. As soon as done remove from oven and use a sharp knife to shift bread around, remove from pan and let cool until completely cool (if cut too early it can collapse the inside, sometimes it's worth it for that warm goodness)

ETA: the benefit of making it ourselves and not buying any is the family limiting intake, we used to go through a loaf a day between kids sandwiches and the hubby's love for buttered toast, I think we're all better for it in the end LOL.
  • twentytwobecky
    Options
    LOL.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Franz 24 is my hands down favorite. 2nd choice is Dave's Killer 21 grain bread. Both of these make GREAT French toast too!
    Wal-Mart, QFC (Kroger) and Safeway to name a few here on the left coast.