Diabetic/hypertension/high cholesterol-restricted lifestyle STINKS!

Options
taylori716
taylori716 Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
I've had diabetes for 14 years. Hypertension and high cholesterol came as part of the package. Essentially my carbs are restricted. Can't have too much sodium. Or excess dairy or fat. This goes beyond a "diet" or lifestyle; my food choices affect not just my current health, but am at risk for a host of other diabetes related complications, if I am not careful with what I eat. Basically anything that is remotely tasty is off limits. Choosing meals is a complicated formula of x # of carbs - sodium < x grams of fat = tasteless food.

My weight fluctuates constantly, usually going up, rather than down. I lose weight and then get comfortable and gain it all back.

I'm so tired of trying and failing.

LT

Replies

• jenbug1973
    jenbug1973 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I was just diagnosed two years ago. I did really great the first year, got comfortable, gained it all back. It sucks! Have you tried looking at diabetic recipes? I found some really great ones on Pinterest. Feel free to add me as a friend for those times it gets too frustrating...
  • taylori716
    Options
    Thanks Jenbug1973!
    I was on a Pinterest recipe streak for a while then stopped. We're short-staffed at work, so pulling double duty zaps me. But it might be worth exploring on weekends when I'm not 'as' tired.

I could definitely use a friend like you for support, especially as you can relate to being a diabetic.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was there and for just as long, too. I am now off all meds and my diabetes is in remission. If you don't mind what is your BMI?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just checked. My top BMI was 47. I could no longer control my blood sugar with Metformin and we were starting to talk Insulin.

I had no idea how tired I was until I got my energy back.

For salt replacement try stronger tasting veggies, garlic, peppers.
  • taylori716
    Options
    Hi Jgnatca,

My BMI now is 27.4. My highest was 32.9.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I was on metformin. I was weaned off about 10 years ago. I'm constantly tired tho, especially after eating. I have a physical next week. I should have a better picture then of my current A1C and other labs. I'm hoping to avoid more meds.

Broccoli is my favorite. What veggies do you eat (the stronger tasting ones)?
  • gpayves
    gpayves Posts: 1
    Options
    Good night. May I do a question please?
    How much exercise do you do everyday?
    Thanks, I have two months with the dx
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was on insulin and after losing only 15lbs my doctor took me off!!! Cut down my metformin too. My bp meds have been cut in half too. You can this!!! I have the whole 9 yards too high trigs, cholesterol, fatty liver etccc hoping my next bloodwork shows improvement. I eat what I want but try to keep healthy snacks. Documenting what you put in your mouth is so important. It will tell where we are wasting calories. I have a ways to go with my meals but it works for me. Try to stay positive and surround yourself with positive people. You can do it!
  • taylori716
    Options
    gpayves wrote: »
    Good night. May I do a question please?
    How much exercise do you do everyday?
    Thanks, I have two months with the dx

• taylori716
    Options
    Hi gpayves,

I haven't done well with traditional exercise because I get bored easily. So I try to work exercise into my day. Taking the stairs. Walking the long way to my office or the parking lot.
  • taylori716
    Options
    I was on insulin and after losing only 15lbs my doctor took me off!!! Cut down my metformin too. My bp meds have been cut in half too. You can this!!! I have the whole 9 yards too high trigs, cholesterol, fatty liver etccc hoping my next bloodwork shows improvement. I eat what I want but try to keep healthy snacks. Documenting what you put in your mouth is so important. It will tell where we are wasting calories. I have a ways to go with my meals but it works for me. Try to stay positive and surround yourself with positive people. You can do it!

• taylori716
    Options
    Thank you SO much jules6669mfp.

Your progress is inspiring! It helps to know that it's possible.

I tend to do better with tracking my food. It's tough for me on weekends, when my day isn't structured. Do you have go-to meals that work for you?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    taylori716 wrote: »
    I've had diabetes for 14 years. Hypertension and high cholesterol came as part of the package. Essentially my carbs are restricted. Can't have too much sodium. Or excess dairy or fat. This goes beyond a "diet" or lifestyle; my food choices affect not just my current health, but am at risk for a host of other diabetes related complications, if I am not careful with what I eat. Basically anything that is remotely tasty is off limits. Choosing meals is a complicated formula of x # of carbs - sodium < x grams of fat = tasteless food.

My weight fluctuates constantly, usually going up, rather than down. I lose weight and then get comfortable and gain it all back.

I'm so tired of trying and failing.

LT

That's exactly how I eat and it's DELICIOUS!! No grains, no dairy, no conventional meat (only "clean" protein--my definition of clean), nourishing fats. Not saying everyone has to eat like that, but it works for me! Not even tempted to eat another way. This is how I eat for now.

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have gone on the internet and just googled diabetic breakfast, snack, dinner, etc. I have found many things that fit the diabetic lifestyle and are tasty as well. I was trying to control my prediabetes with diet and exercise, then added metformin. Now I'm on Janumet and insulin. I have lost enough weight that my blood pressure is under control and my doctor has reduced my BP meds. Hang in there there are tasty things out there, you just have to look.
  • taylori716
    Options
    So I completed the dreaded yearly physical. My diabetes and blood pressure were surprisingly controlled-yay. My cholesterol was way too high-boo. And my home scale was WAY off. So my weight wasn't accurately recorded. So had to make some lifestyle changes. First, ditch my scale and got a new one. More fruits and vegetables. And moving more. I'm determined not to go on any more meds.

My daily challenge is resisting temptation. If my hubby is eating something, I want it too. I try to buy diet friendly substitutions. But if I'm in a situation were I'm not prepared I cave.

My schedule is hectic. So I'm struggling to log my meals consistently.

How is everyone else's progress going?
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    taylori716 wrote: »
    So I completed the dreaded yearly physical. My diabetes and blood pressure were surprisingly controlled-yay. My cholesterol was way too high-boo. And my home scale was WAY off. So my weight wasn't accurately recorded. So had to make some lifestyle changes. First, ditch my scale and got a new one. More fruits and vegetables. And moving more. I'm determined not to go on any more meds.

My daily challenge is resisting temptation. If my hubby is eating something, I want it too. I try to buy diet friendly substitutions. But if I'm in a situation were I'm not prepared I cave.

My schedule is hectic. So I'm struggling to log my meals consistently.

How is everyone else's progress going?
    Hi Taylor
    How are you doin? I too have trouble with meals. I tend to eat the same things til I get sick of them then on to something else. I do eat "regular" food though I watch how much I eat if it. A lot of the "so-called" diet foods are loaded with sodium and preservatives so why not eat the good stuff. I also find that if I don't restrict temptation, I just restrict how much then I'm not feeling like I'm missing out. I know you have a busy schedule but really try to log what you eat. I find that it's helped me be accountable and it lets me know what i can eat, like for a snack. Take s few minutes to do it. You owe it to yourself and you can do it!!!
    Talk to you soon. Good luck and remember you got this!!!
  • taylori716
    Options
    I tend to be repetitious too. Sometimes it's easiest when deciding what to eat. I'm trying to expand my horizons.

Hubby and I are learning to eat meals low in cholesterol. Because my meals have to be low carb, low sodium, and now low cholesterol, it's takes out many high fat foods. It's not easy and requires more conscious choices, but I haven't died from the effort. I'm not as hungry as anticipated. I'm still a work in progress.

Thanks for the encouragement!