Increasing Running Distance

Options
I've been stuck at 5k for almost a year now and can't seem to go further than that. I've tried and I just conk out physically. My muscles start to burn (especially my calves) and I just can't seem to break that 5k mark.

Running profile:
I run about a 9 min/mile pace.
I'm a forefoot striker/Pose running technique

Body profile:
Muscular build

I eat healthy and enough to keep energy levels up. I'm wondering if it's my technique, my body build, or something else that is making my running difficult.

I recently incorporated spin cycling into my cardio routine but I do endurance cycling. Perhaps its my stamina that is the problem. I'll cycle with moderate effort for about 40 minutes in 65-75% target heart rate (occasionally go up to 90).

Any tips/advice from the running pros on MFP? Thanks. Much appreciated!

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The way I increased my mileage was by running a lot slower...It absolutely sucks, but if you're expending less effort by running slower you may have a little more steam to run further. I do one quick 5k (9-min mile) tuesdays, some hill work on thursdays and a long slow 10-min mile 60 min run on sundays. See if this helps you out. Also, make sure you have a rest day (that means no cycling or running) before you try the long run even a high carb dinner would help
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I went from 5k to 10k by slowing down a bit while I built up my endurance. Then, when I was going an extra mile or so, I'd build back up to my speed (around a 10 min mile at my best ... I'm slow). Then when that was easy, slow a bit and build up to another mile (or even half mile), etc.
    I ran a 5k in late Apr and was up to10k by mid July that year. My time for 10k was just over twice that of 5k, so I guess it wasn't too bad!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The way I increased my mileage was by running a lot slower...It absolutely sucks, but if you're expending less effort by running slower you may have a little more steam to run further. I do one quick 5k (9-min mile) tuesdays, some hill work on thursdays and a long slow 10-min mile 60 min run on sundays. See if this helps you out. Also, make sure you have a rest day (that means no cycling or running) before you try the long run even a high carb dinner would help

What she said... Long Slow Run on Weekends. I believe its supposed to be 2 minutes off pace.... ie. if you run a 9 minute mile, aim for 11.

Add no more than 10% per week to your Long Slow Run (time or distance) to avoid injury.

Like her, I run a couple of other runs a week (Tempo's and Intervals) which are really more spead training than anything.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Strength training really helped me go longer.... try doing leg extensions, lunges, squats, hamstring curls,and leg press 3 sets of 12 2-3 days a week. You'll see power gains after a couple of sessions!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    I suggest you make one of your running days a long run day. Start at 3 miles, and increase that distance every week by 0.5 miles till you get to 5.

Keep your heart rate in zone 2. If you don't have a HRM, slow your pace down on the long run by about a minute or minute thirty.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    BUMP...even though I have only gotten up to running a mile without stopping...I appreciate all the suggestions as I think they'll help me too :)
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    bump
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Also, they say not to increase your long run by more than 10% a week. So, that's a slow steady climb.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely try it all.

Brityn - what's your hill workout like? Do you sprint up hills and walk down or do you do a run on long climbs?

jeffrodgers1 - Do you do your intervals by time, distance? Also, do you use your heart rate monitor as well? I'll usually sprint for 50 100 yards then wait till my heart rate goes down to 140 and sprint again.

Thanks guys!!
  • live4turns
    Options
    Which one is zone 2? I usually run between 65-80% of MHR (194)
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    I do my intervals by time using a ladder approach.

5 minute warm up -> 30 second sprint -.> 30 second jog -> 45 second sprint -> 45 second jog -> 60 second sprint -> 60 second jog -> 90 second sprint -> 90 second jog -> 2 minute sprint -> 2 minute jog -> 2 minute sprint -> 2 minute jog -> 90 second sprint -> 90 second jog -> 1 minute sprint -> 1 minute jog -> 45 second sprint -> 45 second jog -> 30 second sprint -> 5 minute cool down.

Hope that makes sense?
  • live4turns
    Options
    Nice! I will try it tomorrow...that 2 min sprint sounds brutal though.

thanks jeff!
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My man, jeff rodgers is truly a running guru. Don't sweat slowing down that speed will come back to you down the road.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    Nice! I will try it tomorrow...that 2 min sprint sounds brutal though.

thanks jeff!

Yes... it is.. but it gets easier every time.
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options
    Lots of great info here, thanks everyone!
  • ilsie99
    Options

Zone 2 is 60-70% of MHR. You should also be able to pass the "talk test" in zone 2- you have enough breath to carry on a conversation but not to sing a song.

Long runs should be run in between zone 2 and the low end of zone 3. Running slow conditions your metabolic system to utilize long term stored energy (a.k.a. fat) instead of glycogen. Running slow also builds your aerobic base so that next time you can go even longer.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    I've been stuck at 5k for almost a year now and can't seem to go further than that. I've tried and I just conk out physically. My muscles start to burn (especially my calves) and I just can't seem to break that 5k mark.

Running profile:
    I run about a 9 min/mile pace.
    I'm a forefoot striker/Pose running technique

Body profile:
    Muscular build

I eat healthy and enough to keep energy levels up. I'm wondering if it's my technique, my body build, or something else that is making my running difficult.

I recently incorporated spin cycling into my cardio routine but I do endurance cycling. Perhaps its my stamina that is the problem. I'll cycle with moderate effort for about 40 minutes in 65-75% target heart rate (occasionally go up to 90).

Any tips/advice from the running pros on MFP? Thanks. Much appreciated!

Your inability to run more than 3.1 miles at a time is in your head. Check out this website http://www.run100s.com/

There are over eighty 100 mile foot races in the US alone. Yes, a human can run 100 miles in a day and no you do not need to be born with special bio-mechanics to do so.

The only thing stopping you from running 4 miles , 50 miles or a 100 miles is you. :)

Now go outside right now and run five.
  • live4turns
    Options

Zone 2 is 60-70% of MHR. You should also be able to pass the "talk test" in zone 2- you have enough breath to carry on a conversation but not to sing a song.

Long runs should be run in between zone 2 and the low end of zone 3. Running slow conditions your metabolic system to utilize long term stored energy (a.k.a. fat) instead of glycogen. Running slow also builds your aerobic base so that next time you can go even longer.

wow 60-70? that is real low...I feel like that is my warm up....running in this zone should let me run further than 5k! thanks!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I've been stuck at 5k for almost a year now and can't seem to go further than that.
    I've tried and I just conk
    muscles start to burn (especially my calves)

You could try slowing down.
    Strap on a heart monitor and jog at 180-minus your age
    Start at how many minutes you are running now about what 30 minutes?
    Are you running four times a week, alternating shorter/longer hard/easy?

Try the 180-minus-your-age heart rate number.
    Increase your duration by two minutes every week,
    and you should be making some progress

The lower heart rate will keep you from over-doing it too soon so you can go longer and longer minutes which will translate eventually into longer distances.

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2
  • ilsie99
    Options

wow 60-70? that is real low...I feel like that is my warm up....running in this zone should let me run further than 5k! thanks!

Yeah, it's low! And the first time you do it, it will feel slow. But run slow, master the distance, and then you can start adding in some speed.