I can't stop eating *CORN SYRUP*

Options
OK this is just as disgusting as it sounds but I have been having issues with binging on sugar. I have been doing pretty ok for the past 2 months with hitting a plateau 3 weeks ago where the scale wouldn't move much, but sticking to reduced calories and increased amount of veggies and fruit. I made the mistake of lowering my calories too much the first time I tried MFP 4 months ago and just got hungry and ate my weight back. So this time have been good with exercise (p90x) and eating well, and not feeling too hungry.

Now here is the problem: I have been under slight stress and when I am mad, upset or unhappy about something, I binge on corn syrup (not HFCS, regular glucose), sugar, or honey - straight from the bottle. And this seems to happen at night most of the time. I also had this urge many years ago when finals would come up and would kill and entire container of honey in one sitting, licking it off a spoon.

Now I don't do this often - but the past few nights I have had this issue. I usually crave foods that I am lacking in nutrients, so I'm wondering if there can be some kind of connection between me and sugar binges? I have tired replacing it with fruit and veggies (which I absolutely LOVE with a passion) but I am usually 1/4 cups into the corn syrup before I even know how much I have had. (I also didn't intend to eat it like this...It was for making Korean food) Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Firstly PUT THE SPOON DOWN...

ok... now.... put the bottle / Jar AWAY... preferably out of easy sight or Reach.... then.... put a bowl of fresh fruit or low cal chewing gum where you can see it... and try and munch on those instead?
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    don't buy the stuff. I don't keep anything in the house that I think i'm going to binge on. There are only healthy options...when I go searching thru the fridge or cupboards there's nuts, dried fruit, fresh veggies and fruit and low fat cheese snacks...If I had a bag of potato chips and some icecream then that's what I'd probably choose, but since it's not there I go for the healthier option
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Well, the first step is to admit the problem. :smile:

Just posting this is a big step because now your friends know.

And it's great that you're becoming aware that you're doing it, and a little of why you're doing it. Standard disclaimer of no medical knowledge here, but it sounds like there is a great emotional comfort to the sugar high you must get. And maybe there is something lacking where you body and brain tell you that you need some comfort, and the familiar and effective solution is corn syrup.

Not drinking it (I can't imagine _eating_ it - surely it's just like a thin honey?) won't solve the problem, and I'm sure you won't try shaming yourself that you could do better. And you are doing other good things such as changing your eating habits and getting more active.

Does it seem to occur when you're alone? Do you have someone you can call just even to say "hey, I'm about to take a swig and I want you to know"? This sounds dumb, maybe, but just having someone who doesn't say "you shouldn't" but rather "I'm sorry to hear that - what's going on?" can be a big help to discover what's really triggering the soothing.

I'm just telling from my own story here, but my food binges usually come at night, too, when there's no one around and there is this wonderful, soothing food. A human stomach can generally hold about a gallon if it's regularly stretched, and I think I pushed to that limit a few times. It's taking me some time to figure out why I like to binge and what it means, and gradually I'm substituting things that help me rather than hurt me - but the reason I do it is for emotional comfort, so until I find out why I need that comfort and I find ways to get it that are rational and not crazy-making, I won't really be able to stop.

Good luck, and keep posting here. Really, just being open about it is a great thing for you. It means you feel safe and that you can say what you need to say.

Of course, I'm assuming other things are doing OK - you're eating right, you're getting enough sleep, and you're getting the exercise you need. Sometimes just getting enough exercise and sleep can resolve the issues of restlessness and emptiness. But again, I am no doctor, just someone who is sympathetic.
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    Awe sweetie! :flowerforyou: You need to throw that stuff in the trash can and NEVER buy it again...EVER. If it's not in your house, you won't eat it. That would be the first step. Then you need to replace that habit with something else, it doesn't have to be food...it could be a bath, a walk...it justs need to be something to help take your mind off of it. The guilt you feel afterwards is not worth it. Good luck!
  • JessPearce
    JessPearce Posts: 3
    Options
    you could just have a problem with having ur blood sugar low, unless its just something you have in the house often, then I would say, stop buying it :) Good Luck with your weight loss!!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've done that - plenty of times, drank honey from the bear, eaten sugar from the bag, (brown sugar was the worst) - I know all about this crazy feeling binge behavior. After years of therapy, it's mostly under control, but I won't lie, even last night, I was walking around the kitchen looking for something to eat mindlessly while I watched tv.

Check out the book "Binge No More" by Joyce Nash - it's good and helped me through a lot of these urges.

I put up some quotes from the book that really resounded with me at

http://knightfit.blogspot.com/2010/12/coping-with-cravings.html
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh.... food can definitely be an addiction ESPECIALLY sugar! You can get through this! As a fellow "dieter" I have had my share of binges too - but usually any unhealthy food that is in the house... when I don't have these trigger foods (like chips, ice cream or chips lol) I usually forget about my specific craving. But when I see that big bag of chips on the counter I remember how tasty they are and devour them like nobody's business. You have realized your trigger so do not buy it, do not cook with it. You know your problem (binging on corn syrup), so YOU are the solution - do not buy it. Yes, it comforts you and that's why you do it. Next time you get the urge grab a piece of tasty gum and focus on something else for 5 minutes... read a book, watch tv, go for a walk. Distract yourself from it.
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for so much support :) It really feels nice to hear from others and makes it easier to tell myself that I have the support here and I don't need to turn to binging on something - just needing to turn to others for help.

I have to say I never planned on eating it from the bottle, and I have had it in the pantry for years without me binging on it. And if it isn't corn syrup it's sugar or honey or brown sugar, which is in the house since i need it to cook some meals and cookies (which oddly enough I love but don't really binge on.)

JessPearce: I think this might be the reason for the start of the craving.. I may have too little or too much carbs during the day and then my body feels like it needs more food, and when I get triggered, it turns into a binge.

noltes2, 123nikki123: I think I am going to keep it away from my access until I can regain control.. Odd to have something that is totally unappetizing one day turn into a binge food!

stevemcknight, Mtsidad: Thank you for the suggestions! I want to nip this in the bud before it gets out of control. It always seems like gaining control of one thing make me start to lose control in another. I guess giving up drinking is starting to push me toward binging on another sugary food. I need to be aware of my triggers and really address that, since not being able to have sugar in the house sounds slightly extreme :)
    I'll check out the book. Thank you for the recommendation!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Just DO stop. Right now. Look at the ingredients, see corn syrup, think "oh well, can't eat that" and put it back down. Just don't eat it.
  • rcochnar
    rcochnar Posts: 11
    Options
    don't buy the stuff. I don't keep anything in the house that I think i'm going to binge on.

Ditto this.
    Also I love your avatar. Cooking Mama always makes me laugh.
  • betterthanmama
    Options
    Just DO stop. Right now. Look at the ingredients, see corn syrup, think "oh well, can't eat that" and put it back down. Just don't eat it.

Lol, the only ingredient is "corn syrup". I don't really buy HFCS foods or binge on them, the corn syrup was for baking (you need glucose to make certain foods) and cooking Korean food but it turned into some weird binge that I haven't visited in many years.
  • betterthanmama
    Options
    Also I love your avatar. Cooking Mama always makes me laugh.

She is a great example of learning how to cook without a kitchen or ingredients! (Most recipes are actually usable in real life settings, just need the measurements from the internet)
    Mama would definitely disapprove me eating corn syrup from the bottle. On the other hand she may teach me how to make it...