To count exercise calories or not?

Options
Ugh, I feel soo confused. I jested connected the app pacer and I don't know whether I should include the extra calories or not. I want to loose the most I can so I feel conflicted.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MFP considers that you will do NO exercise until you actually log it.

So it estimates a daily burn based on your BMR and your self-selected non-exercise activity level, which may or may not be honest selection. Say 2000.

MFP subtracts the amount to reach your weekly weight loss goal, say 500 for 1 lb weekly.

2000 - 500 = 1500 eating goal on non-exercise days

But now you exercise say 250 calories doing something.

2000 + 250 = 2250 burned for this day.
    2250 - 500 = 1750 to eat for this day.

You still have deficit of 500 calories.

MFP makes it easier though. 1500 base eating goal + 250 exercise = 1750 new eating goal

You burn more, you eat more, you keep a healthy body, you keep losing weight.
    Bigger is not better, not long run, usually not short run either.

Just be honest with all logging.
    Food by weight.
    Exercise by intensity level.
    Did you really walk 4 mph for 60 min, or you got up to that speed eventually, but actually only walked 3 miles in that hr, so 3 mph?
    Was that spin class really 45 min, or 5 min warm-up, and 10 min cool-down/stretching?
    Was that Zumba class really 60 min, or 15 total min of stretching and slow moving?

And if the most you can lose include muscle mass, and makes this happen again next year, except you gained it all back and more and it's harder to lose again - do you really want to lose the fastest you can?
    You didn't gain it fast, calm down and slow down on the losing part too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes eat them ..at least 50% of them

• IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel soo confused. I jested connected the app pacer and I don't know whether I should include the extra calories or not. I want to loose the most I can so I feel conflicted.

Depends on your goal.
    If you are trying to lose weight, then don't eat your exercised calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »

Depends on your goal.
    If you are trying to lose weight, then don't eat your exercised calories.

OP - please ignore this post from someone who either doesn't understand how MFP is designed to be used or doesn't understand that fast weight loss isn't the same as good weight loss.

Read heybales' post and then read it again.

• melissafofissa
    melissafofissa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input.