Boring Lunches

Options
Hi everyone! I'm having an issue with my lunches. They are just so boring!

Every day is the same. Tuna fish sandwich or some type of lunchmeat with cheese, chips, and a piece of fruit.

What else can I make that is low maintenance (maybe something I can make the night before) and that is something I can look forward to? I'm getting to the point that if I open my lunchbox I just want to eat out and end up eating my lunch in misery :)

Any low calorie sites I can browse?

Help! :):)

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm having an issue with my lunches. They are just so boring!

Every day is the same. Tuna fish sandwich or some type of lunchmeat with cheese, chips, and a piece of fruit.

What else can I make that is low maintenance (maybe something I can make the night before) and that is something I can look forward to? I'm getting to the point that if I open my lunchbox I just want to eat out and end up eating my lunch in misery :)

Any low calorie sites I can browse?

Help! :):)
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My bag lunch typically contains
    bag of cut up veggies
    egg sandwich or peanut butter and banana or leftover stew, stirfry.
    fruit

I usually make veggie bags on Sunday for the week and boil some eggs for sandwiches or snack.

I have just bought some frozen smoked salmon that I was going to make a sandwich with low fat creamcheese. Or try a wrap with black beans, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, whatever veggies you like.
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? There are tons of pre-made low-cal options that you can pick up for cheap, that would help change it up. Sometimes high in sodium (but so are lunchmeats!).

Do you have a Trader Joe's around you? They often have fairly low-cal pre-built lunches. I sometimes get their Indian Fare dishes. Again, some are high in sodium... tough to avoid.

I usually do soybean butter, no sugar added all-natural jam, and high-fiber whole wheat bread for lunch, and I'll mix it up every now and then with one of the above options.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? There are tons of pre-made low-cal options that you can pick up for cheap, that would help change it up. Sometimes high in sodium (but so are lunchmeats!).

Do you have a Trader Joe's around you? They often have fairly low-cal pre-built lunches. I sometimes get their Indian Fare dishes. Again, some are high in sodium... tough to avoid.

I usually do soybean butter, no sugar added all-natural jam, and high-fiber whole wheat bread for lunch, and I'll mix it up every now and then with one of the above options.

If I had a trader joe's, I would be so excited. It's about an hour away though :/
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If I had a trader joe's, I would be so excited. It's about an hour away though :/

If I were you, I'd move!! I love me some Trader Joe's! Good selection, lots of healthy options, good prices.

How about a Whole Foods? Prices are generally MUCH higher but there are some deals to be had... they had some of the aforementioned prepackaged Indian lunches for $2 each last time I went.

Alternatively, try things like vegetables and hummus, or grab the Green Giant Simply Steamed Sugar Snap Peas. Delicious and quick to make!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Do you typically make dinner? You could have leftovers from previous dinners.

Or, you could try different things on your sandwich - hummus, different mustards, different veggies - I love a good hummus, cheese & veggie sandwich! Or try different breads, or tortillas or pitas! Or no bread at all - make it a salad!
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    They have precut coleslaw bags out there. All you have to do is make the dressing( or buy it). Daddy made a big batch on Sunday and we've all been picking at it all week. I'm planning on having some with lunch today:heart:
  • rfischer
    Options
    i will make big pots of soup on the weekends and divide it up and freeze it. it is super easy to grab on my way out the door...and you know exactly how much you are eating and how many calories you are consuming. another thing i do is keep lean cuisine or the ww smart ones microwave dinners in the freezer and those are another quick thing to grab on my way out the door. some of them are surprisingly good! :smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

I love Trader Joe's and I an honestly say it's helped me a lot during the last year. A lot of good variety and fun options to eat healthier.

Maybe plan a day like once a month or so to go there and stock up! LOL! It is VERY worth it! Even their frozen entrees are great. I eat the corn and black bean enchiladas at least twice a week for lunch!
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just googled Trader Joe's and found that we have one 15 mins away!!:drinker: Gonna check that out....but it has to wait til after xmas now, lol to low on grocery funds at the moment!:grumble: