Logging food

Options
I've started weighing my food recently and I am so confused. When I go to add my food, I can only seem to find it in ounces and I can never get it to match a serving amount that is there. What am I doing wrong? For example, I have Walmart boneless pork chops today packed for lunch. I think it is 3.3oz (it's written on my bag) and I have the grams written there too, but usually when I look it up I find 4oz as the option. Then it goes by 8ths to add another serving or to lessen the serving size - and I teach kindergarten so I cannot wrap my head around 8ths while looking at 10ths - and I don't even see a choice for grams usually. Please help!

Replies

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually find the USDA number for nutrition value. For example, for chicken thighs, I use the entry for USDA Chicken thighs, cooked (if cooked) and weigh that way. It's usually in grams. If not, you can make your own entry.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you will have to trim your meat, or round up your calories. My vote is taking the extra off your plate. Don't just passively log the food you eat. Use MFP to take charge of your portion sizes.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If there isn't an option for a 1oz serving in the drop down menu, divide your portion size (3.3oz) by the serving size shown (4oz) to get the correct number of servings that your portion was (0.825). You should also be able to change the serving input from fraction to decimal.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    3.3/4 = 0.825
    log 0.825 of a 4 oz serving.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    make your own entry then....I personally look for the non user entered and if I can't find one I make one of my own using grams.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You can also put in pork or whatever the cut of meat is and put a g right after it. That helps bring up weights in grams.

I still also check other sites for nutrition information to verify the entry.

Do the size of your portion and divide it by the serving size on the package or search option.

3.3 ÷ 4 = 0.825
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Check several entries.

It's actually a good idea to check several entries each time you log something new.