hiit calories

Options
Hello all,
I am 196 pounds. I started doing hiit through running. Well it is more like i jog for 45 seconds, walk very slowly to catch my breath for 30 and repeat. My heart rate was 170 to 185 for jogging and 150 during..... Im.very very out of shape. Anyway im just starting with all of this and manage 23 minutes. I was doing elliptical to get to the point where i could just walk a good amount. The distance in in this time is 1 mile because of the slowing and.sometimes stopping as i was breathless and kicking my booty.

I have nooo idea how to log this exercise. I know my hr because my husband kept checking between work rest shifts.

Whay shoukd i log?

Replies

• kendra_mcmurray
    kendra_mcmurray Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I usually log HIIT activity under cardio/high impact aerobics since I'm usually doing a cardio DVD workout, not running. I adjust the calories burned estimate in MFP if I am wearing a heart rate monitor and can give a better estimate of burn than the MFP estimate/default. If you get a monitor and can calculate that way then you can simply add your own custom exercise.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aisha786 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I am 196 pounds. I started doing hiit through running. Well it is more like i jog for 45 seconds, walk very slowly to catch my breath for 30 and repeat. My heart rate was 170 to 185 for jogging and 150 during..... Im.very very out of shape. Anyway im just starting with all of this and manage 23 minutes. I was doing elliptical to get to the point where i could just walk a good amount. The distance in in this time is 1 mile because of the slowing and.sometimes stopping as i was breathless and kicking my booty.

I have nooo idea how to log this exercise. I know my hr because my husband kept checking between work rest shifts.

Whay shoukd i log?

Figure out what distance you covered, how long it took you to cover it and use a running calculator to figure out calories, like this one: http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator. Changes in speed or heart rate per interval will not make a huge difference. Sure, they might change calories burned a bit, but realistically for covering a distance of 1 mile, the difference will not matter in your calculations. You burned maybe a total of 100 calories or so, so even a 10% more or less, will not change anything. Ok, you might be able to eat half a lettuce leaf more or less, but I imagine you do not really care ;)
    If you are just beginning, forget HIIT or whatever else makes you lose your breath or push yourself to your limits, forget burning this 1 or 10 calories more, and focus on building up endurancem both in your muscles and your breathing. Start by walking, and once you can briskly walk for 30 minutes or 60 minutes, or whatever makes you happy, then add slow run intervals. Following a program like c25k is your best bet.
    If you can at this point cover 1 mile in longer than 20 minutes, you are not ready to run yet, let alone see benefits from HIIT. Which is ok, everyone started by walking and walking is awesome exercise by itself.

• aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your reply. Have a wonderful, beautiful day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thats a sensible way to estimate it from agge.
    Hiit calories are difficult to estimate, especially as it relies on the extra burn/ epoc bonus.
    Treat as above and then just take the extra as a bonus.