Side dish help!

Options
richellechouinard
richellechouinard Posts: 26 Member
I'm struggling to make exciting side dishes; I'm not a fan of plain quinoa, couscous or rice, and potatoes are usually so high in calories! I eat salad for lunch, so I'm not keen on making another one for dinner. I always have veggies with dinner, so I guess I'm looking more for a starch/carb side to balance everything. A typical meal is 1/4 meat, 1/2 veggies, and then I need that 1/4 other thing...help! Please!!

Replies

• vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So you want more carbs but not more calories? :)

How about potatoes in smaller quantities... For example you could do mashed broccoli & sweet potato.

Or beans... the darker the better.

Try pearled barley instead of rice.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Rice- you can dress it up in a lot of different ways without adding too many calories. Chicken stock and poultry seasoning or tumeric; chicken stock with parm cheese. Etc. Sweet potatoes- sure higher calorie, but good nutritive bang for the buck. Barley, savory oats ect.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I like millet or a bulghur wheat salad.
  • cutiebbwncali
    cutiebbwncali Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite sides to make - it's low carb though.. and lower in calories & fat.

It's Baked Spaghetti Squash & Cheese

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html
  • richellechouinard
    richellechouinard Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not too worried about the calories, I plan my meals the day before so can adjust things. I can't eat beans or cheese due to allergies, but I'll try cooking rice in broth & add seasonings and barley and the other suggestions! Thanks again!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stews and casseroles so I don't bother with sides. When I do, it is usually some variation of brown rice/rice pilaf.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I discovered adding sauteed mushrooms to zatarain's less sodium cajun dirty rice mix is a delicious combo. My Dad even approved. Excellent with baked chicken!

I agree with another poster. Add flavor to your rice with chicken stock or spices. I have used curry powder before. Here are some other recipes I have made.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/microwave-spiced-rice.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/01/mexican-white-rice.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/bombay-chicken-and-rice.html
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Last night, I sauteed some julienned zucchini in a bit of butter until softened a bit and heated through (7-8 minutes over medium heat). Added a bit of parmesan, some fresh minced parsley and some lemon juice. Awesome stuff!
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a ton of amazing recipes! Highly recommend checking them out! So good. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's some sides that made my favourites list:

Cauliflower Tots

Whole Roasted Cauliflower - spicy and easy; no chopping

Spaghetti Squash and Kale Gratin - I exchange Kale with spinach depending on what is on hand

Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
    - I have exchanged with Yam or Sweet Potato without harm. This one is granddaughter approved.

And my new favourite way to cook rice, baked with little butter.

Please don't give up on potatoes just yet. They have a lot of nutrition too. Perhaps cut back on the portion to hit your calorie goals. Smashed Potatoes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I've been serving Naan bread lately with my crock pot stews. Something crispy and chewy to go with the meal.
  • ashleighhutton21
    ashleighhutton21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Roast green beans in the oven without oil just on their own, they come out crunchy like fries but healthy.
    Great when you fancy something naughty.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Roast green beans in the oven without oil just on their own, they come out crunchy like fries but healthy.
    Great when you fancy something naughty.

Same with okra. Crunchy little bites of yumminess.

• dawnsandusky1
    dawnsandusky1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :) THE GREEN BEANS ARE DELISH!! THATS A GREAT ONE ASHLEIGH
    I LOVE MASHED CAULIFLOWER, IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE IM EATING MASHED POTATOES WITHOUT ALL THE CARBS AND CALORIES
    TRICKS MY BRAIN AND TUMMY A BIT
    1. steam cauligflower until tender, about 10 minutes.
    2.Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat; cook and stir garlic until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
    3.Transfer half the cauliflower to a food processor; cover and blend on high. Add remaining cauliflower florets, one at a time, until vegetables are creamy. Blend in garlic, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, salt, and black pepper.
    about 98 cal / even less if you leave out the cream cheese and substitute skim milk, but they arent as creamy
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love a good quality slice of whole grain bread with a flavored butter, (stir in some, garilc, herbs, pesto, sundried tomato spread or whatever you like). It has moderate amount of calories, lots of flavor and is super easy!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Roasted acorn squash is super low in calories and a good carb source to add to your meal. 100g raw is only 40 calories, so u can have half of a squash for a little over a 100. Its yummy and very filling. Spaghetti squash is awesome as well
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like carrot and parsnip mash. great w/ some butter.