I am scared about putting my calories up?

Options
I have been dieting properly since last August! I've lost more than I ever planned or expected too... Anyway, I don't want to lose anymore weight but I don't know how to maintain? I worry that but putting my calories up, from 1200 -1500 I will put on weight. Anyone had any experiences/tips?

Replies

• rachelwilliams932013
    Options
    I'm coming into maintanance now and feeling a bit nerves, this is my second time round but from what I can remember the first time round I added 200 calories every week until I got to maintance calories, I didn't put on any weight from doing this :)
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting properly since last August! I've lost more than I ever planned or expected too... Anyway, I don't want to lose anymore weight but I don't know how to maintain? I worry that but putting my calories up, from 1200 -1500 I will put on weight. Anyone had any experiences/tips?
    u have to just try it and c what happens.u mite have to add calories.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been adding 100 calories a week. I'm at 1300 now with no gain so I'll up it 100 more next week.
  • yapdog
    yapdog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been adding 100 calories a week. I'm at 1300 now with no gain so I'll up it 100 more next week.
    I'm coming into maintanance now and feeling a bit nerves, this is my second time round but from what I can remember the first time round I added 200 calories every week until I got to maintance calories, I didn't put on any weight from doing this :)

Hi! I was wondering when u say adding 100 cals or 200 cals a week is that daily for a week or overall for the week?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Add 100 calories/day for a week and see how your weight responds. Add in 100 calorie increments. I have been on maintenance for a little over 17 months. I just cut back when I gain a few pounds. I know that I have to do this, but many people can do this without logging or monitoring their weight. Do what is right for you and what you are comfortable with.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I added 100/week. So week 1. I went up to 1500 after exercise, then second week 1600 after exercise.

I find some days I can have 2000 calories but other weeks my body seems content with 1600.

I definitely don't have a number. I have a range.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can calculate your maintenance calories. In your goals change it to maintenance and 0 pounds to lose per week. That might help guide you overall. But gradual increases seem smart to find your sweet spot. Keep in mind your activity level will factor into the fluctuation within your range. So if 2000 cal is good for a couple of days but you were extremely active, you may find a different result on an 1800 cal day when you are less active.
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    yapdog wrote: »

Hi! I was wondering when u say adding 100 cals or 200 cals a week is that daily for a week or overall for the week?

A week. I'm still skittish. Lol.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

So then you are only adding 14-28 calories more a day? Im probably have a 200 calorie margine of error from the large amount of Splendas i use(and dont log) and the nibbling on this and that i do throughout the day.
  • NeliusPT
    NeliusPT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A big thing that you could also note is your macros. When I move up in calories, only thing I watch is the carbs. Fats and proteins you won't really gain any fat storing within your body.
  • yapdog
    yapdog Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    neliuscore wrote: »
    A big thing that you could also note is your macros. When I move up in calories, only thing I watch is the carbs. Fats and proteins you won't really gain any fat storing within your body.

Good point!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

what? Seriously what?

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options

that doesn't make any sense. But carbs do increase the amount of water you retain and fats and proteins do not. (if i am not mistaking)

• courtsfrench
    Options
    thank you! Well I've moved my calories up to 1400! I'll see how my body responds and put them up more if I need to!!!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    as long as you keep calories at a maintainance level it doesnt matter if you carb numbers are high or not, you will not gain weight...
  • SheilaMac29
    SheilaMac29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I switched to maintenance (which like the OP was below anything I had imagined when I started) I set my goal to losing 0 pounds, MFP reset my calories from 1200 to 1410 per day (sedentary - I log my exercise and eat back my extra earned calories). I found that I was still losing weight on that so I increased it to 1510 and I've still not seen any gain. To be honest I'm often over by up to 1000-1500 for the week and it still doesn't budge the scales upwards. ;-) I've been maintaining since January and have a BMI of 22.5.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this is incorrect.

Secondly: you're likely to see an immediate jump in weight at maintenance- it's glycogen you've replenished if you've been dieting. It makes you look more full.

Thirdly- add 100-150 calories at a time- then wait 3-4 WEEKS.

Don't make a change- wait a week then make another change.

You must WAIT to see if it has any impact. THEN adjust again. Don't be impatient.
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

So then you are only adding 14-28 calories more a day? Im probably have a 200 calorie margine of error from the large amount of Splendas i use(and dont log) and the nibbling on this and that i do throughout the day.

I also eat back a portion of my exercise calories. I've just been working so hard for so long that I don't want to blow it. :anguished:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    100 calories a week is 15 a day. One Wint-o-Green Lifesaver.

I get that accurate logging is good, but it seems to me that that is well inside the margin of error for specific items like yogurt, let alone chicken or meat. It's inconceivable to me that someone can be accurate to within 15 calories day in and day out outside of a lab.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

you will see some initial weight gain, until your body adjusts. I added 200 calories a day (working on "netting" a certain number), and, personally, my body took three weeks to adjust. but I have friends that adjusted immediately. however long it takes you, you're worth it. :)