Everyone has an opinion

Options
Friends have figured out I'm dieting (I'm not advertising it) and everyone seems to have an opinion. How much do you want to lose? No, that's too much.
What fad diet are you on now?
Is that all you're eating? You should be eating more.
Should you be eating that much? That looks like an awful lot.
Phew, I'm exhausted :smile: Hopefully my witty responses to the inquisition helps burn calories :wink:

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Bigkmc wrote: »
    Friends have figured out I'm dieting (I'm not advertising it) and everyone seems to have an opinion. How much do you want to lose? No, that's too much.
    What fad diet are you on now?
    Is that all you're eating? You should be eating more.
    Should you be eating that much? That looks like an awful lot.
    Phew, I'm exhausted :smile: Hopefully my witty responses to the inquisition helps burn calories :wink:

smile and nod

and try not to give advice back once you succeed
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Deny deny deny. Questions cease.

Not terribly witty :/ Sorry
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Growl at them when they approach or comment. That should stop any further nonsense
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    If they're overweight just ask them how much they weigh
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just brush it off, why waste time on it if you are doing things correctly?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, if you don't talk about your plans or let anyone know that you're "dieting," they won't notice and you won't get anyone's unwanted opinions. People are way too focused on themselves to think about what you're doing, unless you draw attention to it or make extreme changes.

You mentioned that you aren't advertising it, but I guess people are noticing changes, anyway. Personally, I would just do as the above poster advised, and add that you should just ignore insulting or overly personal questions and comments. You don't have to answer unless you want to. You could even turn it around on them and ask the same rude questions back: What's YOUR eating plan? Are you sure YOU should be eating that? They might take the hint. ;)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    If they're overweight just ask them how much they weigh

LOL. ...might be effective! And it's just as intrusive as their questions. Eta: I could never actually do that to someone.

I also didn't make any announcement that I am making an effort to lose and plan on telling people it's personal and thank you for noticing.

I'll never be a person who proudly states the pounds lost (other than on here around people going through same thing).
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I believe that people don't like it when their choices are called on the carpet, whether it's food related or anything else. When someone in our circle makes changes, some might view that as a referendum on their own lives. You will learn only from experience what catch phrases will work with which people, but NEVER feel you owe anyone an explanation on what is going to make you happy. Sometimes a smile and silence is all that is required.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tell them the truth - diet and exercise. They'll tell you why they can't, and go sulk in a corner.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate! When I lost a bunch of weight(over the last year and a half or so), everyone had comments. Some were encouraging but some were mean & reeked of jealousy. The main thing that everyone wanted to know is what "fad" or "diet" I was on. They would get bummed out when I told them that I am NOT on any stupid fad diet like Atkins, Paleo, North beach, South beach, East peninsula, etc. I simply decided to change my life through my food choices and exercise routines. No magic. No pills. No gimmicks. Just common sense.

I always tried to be polite and encouraging to them though. I used to BE them ;)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Some people think that if you make different choices from them that you are insulting them. Never quite understood this myself.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you have worms....that will shut them up.
    Of course you will be left without friends as well.......
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like @$$holes. Some are bigger than others, and some are louder than others. Bottom line is they all stink.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like @$$holes. Some are bigger than others, and some are louder than others. Bottom line is they all stink.

And everyone has one! :)

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

And everyone has one! :)

I can't believe I missed that line.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    What I hate is when peeps know you're losing weight and they "catch" you eating something they would think is forbidden like a donut. "AHHAAA!! GAVE IN HUH?" *shakes head sadly*
  • racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    And when they tell you why THEY can't exercise eating control, or exercise, just smile and say "of course you can't", if you're feeling especially froggy, add in "that's your decision".

Weight loss and healthy choices are best analogous to bugs caught on flypaper. The bugs that are trapped have no problem letting other bugs get trapped with them. Who knows, they may even encourage it.

Of course, that analogy cuts both ways. You're not doing it, but many people who have made changes in their lifestyle want others to conform to their decision as well. Yes, I'm looking at you Crossfitters :-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Some people think that if you make different choices from them that you are insulting them. Never quite understood this myself.

This ^^ You can see it all over these forums as well as IRL.