Baby weight

Options
I gained 3 stone when I was pregnant my daughter is now 4 weeks old I have lost 14 pounds so far but need advice and help to loose the rest or at least loose a stone in 5 weeks.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    A stone in 5 weeks is pretty unrealistic, the maximum recommended rate of loss is 2lbs/week. So you could lose 10lbs in 5 weeks, but even that depends on your current stats; it's not recommended to lose that much unless you're very overweight. What's your height and weight?
  • clairewilding1991
    clairewilding1991 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 11 and I currently weigh 12 stone 6lbs.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It took you 9 months to put this weight on, it will take time to lose it. There is no magic solution just because weight gain happened while you were pregnant. You have lost the initial water weight from the end of pregnancy and delivery, the rest is body fat and will come off more slowly. Be patient and set realistic goals.
  • clairewilding1991
    Options
    I know I need to be more realistic but it's hard this is my third child and this is the heaviest I have ever been. I know it's my own fault but I just hate myself and the way I look. Everyone around me says I look good but I don't feel and don't see whatever it is they. I just want it gone as quick as possible so I can feel like me again.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    At that height and weight 1-2lbs/week is a realistic goal.

As for weight loss advice, make sure you weigh everything you eat wherever possible (if you're not already), try to eat close to your goal each day, understand that weight fluctuates each day and weight loss isn't linear (you won't lose weight every week) and don't worry about having the odd break for one meal or one day if it's a special event. Live your life and enjoy yourself!
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    At 5'11" you are actually at a healthy BMI...... so even if you feel you look bad, you are at least in the healthy range.
  • clairewilding1991
    Options
    I've always had big boobs and a big bum and thighs it's just my belly and face I hold most of my weight when I gain it. Size 12 fit my legs and *kitten* perfect but then I just can't fasten them around my belly. I'm sure it's not swelling from baby coz like I said she's 4 weeks old so I know how I look now is how I will stay unless I get the get up and go to do something about it but it's just hard.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I know I need to be more realistic but it's hard this is my third child and this is the heaviest I have ever been. I know it's my own fault but I just hate myself and the way I look. Everyone around me says I look good but I don't feel and don't see whatever it is they. I just want it gone as quick as possible so I can feel like me again.

Talk to your dr or midwife, this sounds like the beginning of post partum depression. I have 3 kids myself, only had it with one of them. Nothing dramatic, but this feeling of just hating myself. Realistically, you just gave birth a month ago, no one has a perfect body at this stage. And the weight will come off, just not in a few weeks.
  • jmaloney80
    jmaloney80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Baby weight is tough. As a mom of 4 I am also trying to reach some semblance of pre-pregnancy. Eat healthy and enjoy your kids. If you are nursing keep it up that will help burn extra calories. Be careful not to restrict your calories too much though because it will effect your milk. Your body did the amazing thing of creating people give it time to heal. Walk lots, get as close to 7-8hrs of sleep as kids will allow and eat as healthy as you can. Best of luck.
  • clairewilding1991
    Options
    Thanks will talk to my doctor at my 6 week check up and explain how I am feeling.
  • e_nob8
    e_nob8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree that weight loss of 1-2lbs/wk now is most realistic. You don't want to set your goals too high otherwise, you'll set youself up for failure and then stop trying altogether. I was 250 at my heaviest with my first pregnancy and with work and patience (~1yr), I was able to get down to my normal weight of 180. Just make sure you log, count your calories and give yourself a break here and there. Not sure if you are bf'ing but I did find that to help with the weight loss after baby. I know it's difficult with 3 kids, but find a way to move your body everyday. I do A LOT of walking/jogging/dancing in my house so I can keep track of my kiddos at the same time. Good luck on your journey!
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't think many women feel good about their bodies right after giving birth. Give yourself time. It's only been 4 weeks. I started working on weight loss when my daughter was 3-4 months (2nd child). Even then, I didn't cut back too much as I was breastfeeding (still am). If that's you on your profile, then you look good having given birth only recently. The weight WILL come off. Just don't be in a hurry and enjoy your kids.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks will talk to my doctor at my 6 week check up and explain how I am feeling.

Please do. I had a hard time after my second and didn't get help. Nothing dramatically bad happened, thank God, but it was a very emotionally difficult time where I felt like I wasn't enough for my kids or husband and always felt at the end of my rope. What you're describing about hating yourself sounds really similar to me.

Give yourself a break. Growing a baby then giving birth is not easy on your body. Try to focus on the little miracle your body just made, not the fact that it's a little bigger than you'd like. Eat healthy foods and take good care of yourself. If you stay with in your calorie goal the weight will come off. If you're breastfeeding be sure to account for that in setting your calorie goal.
  • clairewilding1991
    Options
    I can't breast feed so have to loose all weight naturally and not through feeding. It took me 6 months to loose 18lbs of the baby weight after my 2nd and that was through watching my calories and fat grams and exercising a lot. But my son slept amazingly and I exercised when he napped in the day. But I am currently only getting 4 hours sleep a night and my middle child is 2 so is still constantly wanting the attention as well as my newborn. And my eldest has been off school for 2 weeks so haven't had any time to sleep or power nap throughout the day. I am constantly playing with the kids and cleaning up after them but I am eating wrong. So I am hoping if I change my eating habits and then exercise when my eldest is back at school and my other 2 have their afternoon nap I can achieve the goal of 2lbs a week. So I can feel that bit more confident for the event in 5 weeks.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I can't breast feed so have to loose all weight naturally and not through feeding. It took me 6 months to loose 18lbs of the baby weight after my 2nd and that was through watching my calories and fat grams and exercising a lot. But my son slept amazingly and I exercised when he napped in the day. But I am currently only getting 4 hours sleep a night and my middle child is 2 so is still constantly wanting the attention as well as my newborn. And my eldest has been off school for 2 weeks so haven't had any time to sleep or power nap throughout the day. I am constantly playing with the kids and cleaning up after them but I am eating wrong. So I am hoping if I change my eating habits and then exercise when my eldest is back at school and my other 2 have their afternoon nap I can achieve the goal of 2lbs a week. So I can feel that bit more confident for the event in 5 weeks.
    I totally hear you! When I had my daughter, my son was 10 months old. It's a lot of work! That's why you shouldn't worry about weight loss or exercise. You should be more worried about sleep. There's already a lot of stress on your body with giving birth and caring for children. Go for short walks with them whenever possible. Those helped me relax a lot.

Eat an adequate amount of calories. If you feel you're eating wrong, weigh, measure and log your food.

As far as the upcoming event is concerned, seriously, you just had a baby! Don't be so hard on yourself. That event is not important at this point. 2 lbs per week is too agressive for someone like you.
  • clairewilding1991
    Options
    I have got a dog that I used to go on jogs with down the canal so I might walk him when the kids go bed so I get a stress free and the dog gets the exercise it used to. I keep trying to not stress about my weight but I can't help it's constantly there when my partner smacks my bum I think in my head did my legs wobble at the same time then. He hasn't seen me naked for 2 n half months and I'm just not ready for him to feel my body never mind see it.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Everyone around me says I look good but I don't feel and don't see whatever it is they.

They see that you are a mother that just went through one of the most traumatic things a woman can go through...

They see that you are strong enough to handle a newborn AND have lost 14lbs since her birth!

You are doing a great job, keep faith in yourself... you did create another beautiful human for this world... you are beautiful yourself too..