Kettel Bells

Options
Anybody ever do any routines with these?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Yep. I don't use videos or anything like that. I used to take classes but I learned enough during the classes to incorporate routines on my own. Also there is this group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129-enter-the-kettlebell
  • hnm921
    hnm921 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have just started using the kettlebell and I love it. I have started with the Fitness Blender's beginner kettlebell workout. I was so sore after the first time. This is my first time using any kind of weights in years.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have been using kettle bells for a year and a half and LOVE them! The best advice I can give you is to find an instructor in your area so you can learn good form. Look for someone who is either SGF (Strongfirst) or RKC certified.

There are some good instructional videos out there, but there are countless more that are horrible - hence, the reason a good instructor that you can meet with in person is so important. They are simple to use, but only once you know the right way to do so. Like any other weight training, bad form will get you hurt in no time.

The other thing is, don't be afraid to use a relatively heavy bell. Another big mistake people make is they don't use enough weight. Believe it or not, some of the skills are actually harder to properly learn if the bell you are using is to light. While swinging a 5 lb kettle bell isn't a total waste of time, you are only cheating yourself by doing so. I started with a ~25 lb (12 kg) bell, and am now using much heavier bells than that. It's the weight of the bell that gives you all the additional benefits kettle bells are known for, and with a super light bell, you might as well just do body weight exercises.

I am more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have!
  • danalowery1
    danalowery1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • danalowery1
    Options
    hnm921 wrote: »
    I have just started using the kettlebell and I love it. I have started with the Fitness Blender's beginner kettlebell workout. I was so sore after the first time. This is my first time using any kind of weights in years.
    I have mostly used bands instead of weights because they offer resistance.
    And I do not have to have a gym.
    I am just getting started with kettle bells
    Epido also responded to my question and offers a lot of great advice though I really do not want the expense of hiring a trainer
  • danalowery1
    Options
    epido wrote: »
    I have been using kettle bells for a year and a half and LOVE them! The best advice I can give you is to find an instructor in your area so you can learn good form. Look for someone who is either SGF (Strongfirst) or RKC certified.

There are some good instructional videos out there, but there are countless more that are horrible - hence, the reason a good instructor that you can meet with in person is so important. They are simple to use, but only once you know the right way to do so. Like any other weight training, bad form will get you hurt in no time.

The other thing is, don't be afraid to use a relatively heavy bell. Another big mistake people make is they don't use enough weight. Believe it or not, some of the skills are actually harder to properly learn if the bell you are using is to light. While swinging a 5 lb kettle bell isn't a total waste of time, you are only cheating yourself by doing so. I started with a ~25 lb (12 kg) bell, and am now using much heavier bells than that. It's the weight of the bell that gives you all the additional benefits kettle bells are known for, and with a super light bell, you might as well just do body weight exercises.

I am more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have!

I am just getting started with kettle bells. Allot of great advice though I really do not want the expense of hiring a trainer I get it, Form is very important. Maybe I can find some group classes.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I am just getting started with kettle bells. Allot of great advice though I really do not want the expense of hiring a trainer I get it, Form is very important. Maybe I can find some group classes.

Group classes would definitely be a cheaper way to go, and you can still get the instruction that would give you proper form that way! Even with this option, look for someone who is either RKC or SFG certified.

My one piece of advice for classes is to make sure the class size isn't too large. If there is greater than a 1:10 instructor:student ratio, don't do it! To ensure you get enough attention, make sure the class size is small.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Or sign up for Groupon and see if something comes up there? I've only done one kettle bell workout, it was a FitnessBlender one and I did it with a dumbbell. The next day I felt muscles I've never felt before, especially in my core like sides and back. Hurting in a GOOD way. So I would for sure recommend it, I'm interested in doing more (with real kettle bells) myself. Good luck!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells are the balls! Go to Fitness Blender for some KB workouts. I love them.
  • slimmingqueen31
    slimmingqueen31 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I been working out since Jan with kettlebells, honestly for me i see the results quicker than any other exercise. Try it you might love it :-) x
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Lifting bores me to tears (plus I got fed up with being harassed in the gym), KBs are great fun, plus they seem a lot easier on my wrists than DBs or bars.