Spots/Acne!

Options
Before I started eating healthily again my skin was quite sensitive to breakouts if I ate something particularly "bad" - e.g. a McDonalds or something similarly greasy.

But for the past fortnight I've been eating healthy, exercising, shifting weight quite happily - and my skin has just turned into a massive spotty mess!!! It doesn't feel greasy - if anything it's a bit dry. Is it the sweat from exercise clogging my pores? How can I make it go away? :'(

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Wash your face? ;) Kidding! I'm 36 and I still breakout like I am 16. It might be a hormonal thing, or a food sensitivity. Mild cleanser, good moisturizer and a trip to the dermatologist might be in order.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    Before I started eating healthily again my skin was quite sensitive to breakouts if I ate something particularly "bad" - e.g. a McDonalds or something similarly greasy.

But for the past fortnight I've been eating healthy, exercising, shifting weight quite happily - and my skin has just turned into a massive spotty mess!!! It doesn't feel greasy - if anything it's a bit dry. Is it the sweat from exercise clogging my pores? How can I make it go away? :'(

Ahhh yes. I know this well. Same happened to me but once it cleared up it stayed clear!

Things to consider: if you think your diet has changed your skin, change your skin care. I had to start moisturizing as I got less oily.

Can you be a bit allergic to something? Nuts obviously not deadly, but it might be worthwhile to get tested.

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and my skin keeps changing. Doesn't matter if I eat clean. Been to dermatologists but all they do is prescribe cortison salves and those aren't supposed to be used for more than 2 weeks. So after 2 weeks my face looks great and then the acne comes right back.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - I guess it just feels a bit backwards to me to be putting moisturiser on when I'm spotty! What kind would you recommend?
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Breakouts can be related to hormones. Get a clarisonic for cleansing.
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with cystic acne for a bit, I started using Old Henriksen Aloe Vera Deep Cleanser and have not had a break out since and it has helped tremendously with discolorations due to previous breakouts/scarring. Works wonders!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I get it bad around my hairline and jawline... Make sure you are rinsing the soap off really well after you shampoo and/or wash your face, too. I also make sure I at least rinse off after exercising so the sweat doesn't sit on my skin.

I did away with the face washes with "stuff" added to it. (Like salicylic acid or moisturizers, etc.) I just use plain Neutrogena. Occasionally, I use a face wash with little bits in it for exfoliating. Then I moisturize. 36 years old and I still get acne. My mom got it until she got to menopause. :(
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This may be a bit, "duh" but do you shower/wash your face/ect after exercising?
  • MochiCupcake
    MochiCupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My acne randomly came back recently, and my skin fluctuates between too oily and dry patches. Tea tree and green tea soap has been doing wonders for me with a simple cleansing toner after (just a supermarket brand one!). Also making sure I drink extra water every day. I find sweating after exercise can make me break out a little too, but I don't want to dry my skin out washing it too often with soap so I just splash it with water when I get sweaty and this seems to do the trick.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I don't wash my face after exercise - I also heard that using face wash too often can dry out your skin and make it worse so I exfoliate once-twice a week but I just wash my face with water.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my face after exercise - I also heard that using face wash too often can dry out your skin and make it worse so I exfoliate once-twice a week but I just wash my face with water.

I wash my face every morning in the shower and I wash it after I exercise. I don't exfoliate. I also moisturize after I wash it.

It may or not be the cause. I don't know. I was just throwing my hat into the ring.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My face has turned into a battlezone since I have started eating more healthy and working out almost every day. I am also noticing achene on my chest area above my breasts. I am 99.9% this is from sweating since I sweat in my neck/chest area and on my face. I wash my face after every workout and make sure to wash off any make up before going to bed. I even got desperate enough to try a face spa thing that cost me $6 from Sephora that a friend told me worked miracles and while my face felt nice afterwards, the acne was still there.

Im at a loss of what to do as well :(
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have very oily skin..and I live in Miami where its humid so the combo killed me for awhile.

Personally..I dont use any facial wash at all. I use a washrag to wash my face in the shower, no soap, no deep scubbing either, just a wash over with some water. Then I follow up with rubbing olive oil on. Sounds counter-productive, but from what Ive read, the more you wash, scrub, exfoliate the oils off your skin, the harder your skin works to produce more. But if you oil your skin, then the production settles down and your skin gets clearer..Ive found this to be very true...I cant remember the last time I had a breakout. I had one pimple a few months ago, but I havnt had a breakout in years.

Now kiddo, poor kiddo, its hormonal for her...being a teenager and all, plus that time of month, she breaks out so badly. I suggested she use the olive oil too, and it has helped *tremendously*....to the point that when she slacks, I can tell right away and remind her to use the olive oil. Its amazing really how well it works.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    try a mild facewash. I use cetaphil In the AM followed by cetaphil dermacontrol moisturizer, it has an SPF in it too, so 2 birds, one stone. At night I use Cerave PM moisturizer after I wash my face with a 3% benzoyl peroxide wash.
  • mollyyy125
    mollyyy125 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to wash your face (ie remove makeup) BEFORE excercise. I've also started using honey to wash my face instead of soap. I've had pretty good skin my entire adult life, but I did tend to get a pimple or two around my TOM. I've found the honey has totally stopped that. It sounds like it would be sticky and gross but it actually washes off with warm water really nicely. Regular face washes always dried me out big time so like you I only used water. I can use the honey every day though and have no issues with dryness. You can also use coconut oil for the dryness. I wouldn't use it every day because it might get heavy on your pores, but once a week is nice.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    After I exercise, in the shower, I wash my face with baby shampoo to get rid of that greasy, "thick" feeling like my skin needs to shed or something. After showering, I will apply the lightest coating of coconut oil as a moisturizer under my makeup.

At night, I use the coconut oil again to remove my makeup and then baby shampoo again to get rid of any oil/makeup residue. Then, I apply the lightest coating of coconut oil again for overnight treatment.

I do this daily as I work out in the early a.m. before work. I went from weird breakouts and clogged pores around the nose, to virtually nothing. I am in perimenopause so hormones are weird but my routine keeps my skin fairly clear. The coconut oil also smooths our wrinkles as I am often mistaken for being younger than my 43 years ... no crows feet or laugh lines!

Oh, I use pharmaceutical grade lavender oil and apply it to blemishes before bedtime before they become zits (even if they form on the back, chest etc.) ... this seems to help keep them from forming as lavender oil has antimicrobial properties, much l like coconut oil!
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and still get breakouts, especially around my chin. My 55 y/o mother still gets them there too, so I don't think they'll go away anytime soon :)

Anyways, I would recommend a acne cleanser, I use Boscia clear complexion wash. It's the best I've ever tried (and I've tried A LOT). Also make sure you moisturize after washing. It seems counterproductive, especially if you have oily skin, but trust me on this. If your skin is too dry, your face will make extra oil to make up for it, causing breakouts. I use the mild aloe face cream from the Body Shop, but Cetaphil is a good option too.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - I guess it just feels a bit backwards to me to be putting moisturiser on when I'm spotty! What kind would you recommend?

I felt the same way but once I started applying moisturizer after I washed my face (morning and night) my face became much clearer! Having dry skin can actually make your acne worse as it causes your skin to produce more natural oils (something along those lines) in order to keep it moisturized which can make your acne worse. I like a light moisturizer for in the morning and a heavier moisturizer before I go to bed, nivea has done wonders since I started using it, but it's very heavy.

Make sure you wash all makeup off before working out, and at least rinse your face off after working out.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thanks everyone - I don't wear make up during the day or when I work out. I bought some Garnier cleanser and moisturiser for combination skin as I think that's what I have - used them last night and my skin already looks miles better this morning, much less red and spots seem to have faded a bit. I'll start rinsing my face after my workouts too - I've noticed spots on my chest as well actually which is where I sweat too!
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with acne for a long time about 15 years. My face is now 95% clear for about 5 years after dermatologist and a facial spa told me use moisturizer.i said 'my skin doesn't feel dry or oily...but they said after examining closely it is dry.

Using Cetaphil facial cleanser and Moisturing Cream (not the 'lotion'...the Cream in a round tub works). Use washcloth and rub gently in circles. Rinse cold!!! Promise. Cold rinse, pat dry gently and rub that cream on your face.