On a losing streak and then....a GAIN?!

Options
Okay, so I am REALLY confused. In the past I have purposefully gained a few pounds and changed my routine to overcome a plateau, but this time it wasn't planned. I have gained like 3-ish pounds in just under two weeks. Since MFP calculates you at a deficit BEFORE exercise calories "gained", I have went over a couple of days (maybe 50-100cals). HOWEVER, MFP still says that I will lose weight in the "5-weeks" or whatever so I am at a complete loss. I haven't changed my exercising too much, just incorporated more yoga (Bikram yoga) into my workouts, and less cardio. Still about the same amount of strength training. Am I making a big deal about this? I have drowned myself in water, so I know it's not that, and I haven't deviated from my usual foods. Anyone have some possible reasons?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Everyone fluctuates everyday, often by several pounds. Even if you drink a lot of water it doesn't completely remove those fluctuations. It's perfectly normal and will be gone soon (unless, of course, you've actually eaten 10,500 extra calories).
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Might be holding more water, just see how it plays out. if you keep gaining next week reduce your cals or increase your activity. I am assumming you tracked everthing correctly
  • FitMom4Life27
    Options
    I have (within what I can because I currently don't own a food scale, but want one!). I am currently on 1,320 cals...and I am hungry ALL THE TIME. But I am the same amount of hungry even at 1,500 cals. I don't know....my body is weird haha
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It's likely just a normal fluctuation. There's a lot of things going on in the body in any given day/week/month that will effect weight, even more factors for females. That being said, don't just want a food scale, go out and buy one! I bought a digital one for like $20, best investment I ever made! :smiley:
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    are u eating back exercise calories at all? or are u 1,320 with the occasional 1,400 -1,500 day?
  • Needtobeonthebeach
    Needtobeonthebeach Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me. There are two options. Either it's your body and there's nothing you can do so you sit back and relax or two you need to push yourself extra hard. When I lost 4 lbs and gained 2 back I tried both methods. I worked out for an hour a day and basically starved myself and it worked but as soon as I drank water it started coming back a little at a time. So I tried eating way less and not working out as much and it dropped off plus another two pounds.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I am REALLY confused. In the past I have purposefully gained a few pounds and changed my routine to overcome a plateau, but this time it wasn't planned. I have gained like 3-ish pounds in just under two weeks. Since MFP calculates you at a deficit BEFORE exercise calories "gained", I have went over a couple of days (maybe 50-100cals). HOWEVER, MFP still says that I will lose weight in the "5-weeks" or whatever so I am at a complete loss. I haven't changed my exercising too much, just incorporated more yoga (Bikram yoga) into my workouts, and less cardio. Still about the same amount of strength training. Am I making a big deal about this? I have drowned myself in water, so I know it's not that, and I haven't deviated from my usual foods. Anyone have some possible reasons?

A fluctuation in under 2 weeks? Hahah. Look at my weigh-ins:
    April 1: 148.6 lbs
    April 5: 149.0 lbs
    April 8: 151 lbs (day after eating high sodium meal)
    April 10: 147.5 lbs
    April 12: 148.6 lbs
    April 14: 151.5 lbs (day after really hard exercise)
    April 16: 146.8 lbs

Look at the 2-3 month trend. Anything else is probably noise.

Do you use a food scale? It's possible you've changed how much you're eating and the lack of cardio means that you're no longer in a deficit.