My First Plateau...

Options
First the good news: I've lost 23lbs since the beginning of the year!

However, I've been plateaued between 180-185 for three weeks now. I've incorporated cardio and strength training into my routine and bumped my cals up to 1700 from 1400, but still no luck. Any tips?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WTG on your loss! A plateau is 6-8 weeks, you are but stalled. I would start using a food scale instead of measuring cups though, because as you get closer to goal, logging needs to be tighter.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Watching this for help too. I'm having the same problem. So frustrating, I have lost the same weight as you (but I am way heavier to start with) and seem to have plateaued. I feel like I have been losing the same 1-2 kgs for a month. It comes back, it goes, it comes back, it goes, at the moment it has come back....
    Only thing I figure is to just keep going, I know my body shape has changed in this time. Eventually it will have to start coming off again, right? I mean I am exercising and hitting my calorie goals each day, drinking lots of water, have basically no sodium, so eventually things should start again but I feel you frustration. :)
  • brittanyadore
    brittanyadore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys, I'm gonna keep hitting the gym and keep and eye on my portions. Maybe after another two weeks at 1700 I'll kick it back down to 1400
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Its possible your body and system is just plain ol used to what you are and have been doing. Do something you have never done before...in other words shock your system into moving again. Simple issue, simple solution.

Do not attack me for my post. You can disagree with my opinion without reposting me and without attacking me. Thank you.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Its possible your body and system is just plain ol used to what you are and have been doing. Do something you have never done before...in other words shock your system into moving again. Simple issue, simple solution.

Do not attack me for my post. You can disagree with my opinion without reposting me and without attacking me. Thank you.

We don't need to shock our systems, we just need to have patience and make sure you are in a deficit.

OP first congrats on your success already, I peeked at your diary, when you're logging I would stay away from Homemade entries - you have no idea what was included when making that calculation. Also, a food scale can help with more accurate logging. If you clean up the logging it will help.

Good luck to you
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Yes, there's definitely something simple here.

I agree with those who suggest cleaning up the logging and sticking with the process.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    First the good news: I've lost 23lbs since the beginning of the year!

However, I've been plateaued between 180-185 for three weeks now. I've incorporated cardio and strength training into my routine and bumped my cals up to 1700 from 1400, but still no luck. Any tips?

You're stalled, not plateaued. Weight loss is not linear- sometimes I have 2 weeks with no losses and then BOOM 3 lbs down. Why did you raise your calories? You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Adding more calories will only prolong your weight stall.

Tighten up on your logging. Use a food scale if you aren't already.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I do disagree, but not with your opinion, only your facts. The body doesn't stop losing weight because it is used to what it is doing. As long as a person is at a calorie deficit, they will lose fat. They may not see that for a while because they have simultaneously increased in water, but a calorie deficit will always result in weight loss, no matter how used to it the body is. The body is constantly losing weight, and if we didn't replace that weight on a regular basis through eating, we would eventually dwindle away and die.