Have you ever been bullied ?

Options
I was listening to a radio article about bullying. One of the affects of bullying is weight gain in the victim. Have you been bullied ? Where you a Bully ?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Yes. I didn't put weight on because of it.

This. Was underweight and bullied for being a 'late-developer' because of it.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes all the way through high school, I was chubby and had a big a**... its something thats always gonna hurt a little deep down, and I do think it caused some comfort eating.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been through stuff in life and when I've gotten depressed I don't eat. Its gotten as bad as losing 10lbs in a week. I know its bad but people thought I did it to be skinny. They called me names mostly my friends they would make jokes about making me eat a burger and always talk about how I don't need to be that skinny. I DIDNT WANT TO BE SKINNY I WAS SICK. When they had no idea. Their comments just made my depression worse.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The radio program has a girl who was bullied and was a bully. As a bully she said their group tended to pick on the quiet kids. She had a change of heart when she finally made a girl cry. She realised she was doing wrong and it helped her reflect on her actions.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been bullied, but no I did not gain weight because of it. When in my moments of stress I am the opposite, I do not eat.
  • MissShivvers
    MissShivvers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was bullied when I was younger because I was bigger. Eventually I learned to either stand up to them or ignore them.
    I don't think that bullying in itself made me gain weight, but it certainly embedded some serious self confidence and self image issues which worked (and still work) against me when I'm trying to loose weight or get fit.

If someone is bullied at any point in their life it can affect them in a wide variety of ways. Maybe if you're a comfort eater, one of those effects will be weight gain but I think it really depends on the person.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was bullied pretty much all throughout school...being quiet and minding my own business made me a target apparently.

Honestly it really didn't affect me much. I did used to have a real short fuse, and punch enough b****es in the face and eventually word gets around to not **** with you.

My high school career, ladies and gentlemen :eyeroll:
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Never about weight, but pretty much all the way through school, including a few assaults that kept me out of school, missed about 2 years total.

Uni was worse though, tried to kill myself twice there because of the problems, screwed it up though both times though, obviously.
  • akgeenaminto
    akgeenaminto Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I was obese I was tortured.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    I have to admit I was bullied in school. I look back and wish I had taken my friends advice and had it out with the bully. My friend told me that the bully had tried it on with him but he fought back and them became friends. Funnily I look back and realise that what I considered bully was probably just jostling and I had communicated I didnt like it then maybe it would have. However as a quiet kid you don't think of these things.
    I am a strong advocator of encouraging people to improve their confidence through public speaking. Public speaking is possibly peoples biggest fear, more so than death I have been told. When you are confident you can stand up to the bully in whatever form they take.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Never about weight, but pretty much all the way through school, including a few assaults that kept me out of school, missed about 2 years total.

Uni was worse though, tried to kill myself twice there because of the problems, screwed it up though both times though, obviously.

I feel for you my friend. I hope things are better now for you !!!
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »

I feel for you my friend. I hope things are better now for you !!!

Thanks, things generally are better now :smile:

I'm the EO for our union and work in student support these days, so a lot of my job is coming down hard on bullying, at least it's easier for me to see the signs than people who haven't been through it.
  • banishthebuldge
    banishthebuldge Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i was bullied in high school for about a month until i got fed up and slammed the girls face into the locker one day during lunch when she decided that was the day to actually put her hands on me...wasn't bullied after that....oh, and no it didn't affect my weight
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've always been chubby, but never been bullied. I might have had one or two people try but I didn't put up with that crap.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I was bullied because I was already overweight. I wouldn't say the bullying made me gain weight (or lose it for that matter). Though I did lose any and all self-confidence and dreaded school while I was bullied.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    yeah, but I think my weight issue came from being a latch-key kid with access to an endless amount of snack cakes and nommy noms. mmm. noms. (^_^)
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if you've never been bullied then odds are YOU did the bullying.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was never fat but I was bullied for various other reasons like me not being good at sports, being a nerd and not being about that "gangsta" life.....it got worse in senior year but that's ok because high school is in the past and all the scum that were @ssholes are probably doing worse than me lol. Karma is a *kitten*. For any person that wants to go back to high school I seriously think is retarded...even if they did have a good time in it. Why do you wanna go back to a more ignorant time where your Momma and Dadda had to do everything for you while you can be an adult and do what you want???
  • gpstreet
    Options
    There was a television program where a former bully was tormented by what he had done to a kid in his school. He was desperate to find his victim, make sure he was ok and apologise. He seemed really sincere in how he felt and the apology it gave. Maybe there are two victims in bullying....on both sides.
    The important thing, as responsible adults, is to spot the signs and offer help and advice.