To snack or not to snack...that is the question

Options
2»

Replies

• katygruber
    katygruber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I think ill continue to snack as long as I continue to be within my calorie goal. People can research all they want but this Seems like its really an individual preference
  • mllemuguet
    mllemuguet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I only snack if I'm having an active day. I try not to snack before lunch since I'm normally pretty sedentary but in the afternoon, snacking is almost necessary in order for me not to overdo it at dinner. If you track your activity well, you'll be able to figure out when you need a calorie boost in your day.
    I try to keep my snacks at 100-150 calories but sometimes a 250 calorie larabar is essential depending on my activity level, for example.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I've always known snacking to be a way to rev up the metabolism between meals.
    This is not true...
    Recently though I saw a program on TV suggesting that snacking could deter weight loss goals though. I tried going without snacking and was finding it difficult. I eat breakfast around 7:00 am and my stomach would start growling by 10:30am. I've gone back to snacking now, healthy of course, fruit, almonds, etc. What are some thoughts on snacking?

In my experience, I find losing/maintaining weight easier w/o snacking. I make my meals larger to keep me satisfied but still less then if I snacked in-between.

Snacking is about personal preference. It's not better or worse then not snacking. CICO...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Thanks all. I think ill continue to snack as long as I continue to be within my calorie goal. People can research all they want but this Seems like its really an individual preference

+1 for the bolded...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is really about calories in vs calories out. If you snacks fit into your calorie goal and you enjoy them then have snacks.

Snacks do not rev up your metabolism.

this!

I used to snack loads... then I did IF for a while, and found I preferred larger meals with less snacks.
  • J72FIT
    edited April 2015
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    Not eating breakfast is a bad idea.

Why?

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I find that if I'm hungry in the mornings, in between breakfast and lunch, then It's better for me to eat a snack (around 100 calories usually), otherwise I end up either binging on lunch or eating my lunch so fast that I don't end up satisfied. I agree with some other posters, if you keep to your calorie goals and enjoy a snack, then you should snack on! I'm about to get a small serving of hummus and sliced bell peppers cause it's only 9:15 and I'm super hungry and lunch is a long way off, lol.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I learned that when I'm hungry in between meals, that means I didn't eat enough in my last meal or I didn't eat filling foods. e.g. rice, veggies, and meat is way more filling than a bowl of oatmeal, milk, and fruit in the morning. If you really want to stop snacking, you'll have to reevaluate what you're eating for your meals. But like many other people say, it doesn't really matter anyways when it comes to weight loss.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is really about calories in vs calories out. If you snacks fit into your calorie goal and you enjoy them then have snacks.

Snacks do not rev up your metabolism.

this!

I used to snack loads... then I did IF for a while, and found I preferred larger meals with less snacks.
    I just do larger meals more frequently....

:flushed:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    The only way snacking will derail your weight loss goals is routinely going over your calories & not being accountable.

The only time you shouldn't eat a food is if you don't like it, allergic, or have any other medical conditions that require you to avoid a food or a whole food group.

I second not eating in the morning if you're not hungry too. I usually eat my first meal of the day anywhere from 7-11 in the morning depending on how much my stomach is growling. I find if I eat first thing when I wake up it turns a switch on & makes me more hungry throughout the rest of the day.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    All these people that don't eat in the mornings! lol, it's so crazy to me since I'm the total opposite. I eat a 1/3 cup of cereal on my way to the gym at 5:30am, then about 100-150 calories (usually a fruit or yogurt) when I get to work around 8, then sometimes a 100 calorie snack around 10, <300 cal lunch at 12, then whatever calories I have left I save for dinner at 6pm. Just goes to show you that everyone is different and you just have to figure out what works best for you!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    I don't eat breakfast.. I put off eating until 11:30 or 12:00 and eat all my calories (snack or not) in a eating window which is cut off usually around 6:30 or 7:00.

I am a major "pre-logger" so if I am low on calories I will snack up!

Not eating breakfast is a bad idea. You should try and have something....IMO.

As for snacking? I do it and havent had anything bad happen to me. I love my snacks! :)

breakfast literally means to breaking the fast, and is defined as the first meal of the day that you eat, after sleeping. It does not mean a specific time however. If someone is not hungry in the morning, then why would you waste calories eating something?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Just goes to show you that everyone is different and you just have to figure out what works best for you!

Sums it up rather well...
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I won't join the debate but personally, I definitely need snacks. I have trouble controlling my consumption at my next meal if I get too hungry. Especially since breakfast is before 6:00am. (No breakfast skipping here - I wake up ravenous! :smile: ) My snacks are much better these days though. Like the OP said, fruits, nuts, celery with hummus - that kind of thing.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I won't join the debate but personally, I definitely need snacks. I have trouble controlling my consumption at my next meal if I get too hungry. Especially since breakfast is before 6:00am. (No breakfast skipping here - I wake up ravenous! :smile: ) My snacks are much better these days though. Like the OP said, fruits, nuts, celery with hummus - that kind of thing.

It's funny how we're all so different-I'm up at around 5:30am and have no desire to eat until around 11am :) My 6 yr old son wakes up really hungry though and he's usually eating breakfast around 6am.