Rowing. Is it good for people with shoulder injuries?

Hey guys,
I've been researching rowing machines lately. I understand that it gives you the all-in-one workout Is is good for people with recovering shoulder injuries?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Not really. Recover first.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    For some kinds of shoulder injuries, yes, for others, no. The only way to know is to try it.. after getting approval from your doctor, of course. Check Concept2's website for form videos.

I definitely wouldn't buy a rower without trying it a few times at a local gym, to see if you actually like it. Otherwise it could end up as a clothes rack in your house.

Not sure i'd call rowing an all-in-1 workout. It takes care of cardio, but it's not a proper strength workout.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    No, I wouldn't attempt it without asking your doctor first.

I know rowing has done nothing but improve my shoulder and back muscles drastically (I do 25-30km a week), even though most of the work is done in the legs. So yeah, I would not do it without a doctor's note.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2015
    I had pt done for my shoulder injuries, and the exercises they had me doing worked parts of my shoulders that rowing, push ups and pull ups never touched. My shoulders were strong before my injuries (so I thought anyway) Those are the parts that need to be strengthened after healing, and healing for me took a while. Rowing is probably going to irritate things more depending on your injury... Is it rotator cuff or joint capsule?
  • Carpedieznutz
    Carpedieznutz Posts: 1,166 Member
    I read this as Rowling and not Rowing and I thought to myself, "J.K. Rowling is great for anyone no matter what you have going on"....I think I need to call it a day lol.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    My NordicTrack ski machine has done wonders for the shoulder I nearly separated about 10 years ago.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    I think it depends on the injury. You should recover first but rowing could help eliminate muscular imbalance. If you spend more time pressing (bench/pushups/OHP etc) than pulling movements, you may have an imbalance that could be helped reduced by rowing.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    I'm in month 5.75 of recovery from rotator cuff surgery. I've been cleared for anything that doesn't cause major extension with rotation, with no velocity. For instance I can take out a kayak but not throw a baseball. Just remember, velocity/impact can really hurt the injured tissue because you don't have the ability to stop whatever is in motion due to compromised strength and tenderness/pain. And any hyper extension behind you, especially with rotation is going to irritate things. Go slow, take it easy, see how it feels AFTER the work out before you go crazy.

If you are not to the point you need surgery, I strongly suggest you protect your shoulder now. Shoulder surgery is by far the worst thing I've even been through and I lost 6 months of my life. I'm still in pain and just barely getting back to full gym workouts. Be smart now and save yourself pain later! And some PT might help alleviate pain and heal/strengthen the injury you have. There you go - you asked.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I'm doing physical therapy for a shoulder injury. I'm cleared to lift in the gym but they want me to do pull exercises and avoid anything where I push/press. Rows are one of the things they want me doing.