low carb

Options
day one of low carb diet challenge. current weight 178 lb. goal weight 145 lb. i always break early and cheat. i don't know how i am every going to lose weight. There are times I think gaining more weight and having a bypass would be easier then losing 30lbs!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Perhaps changing your mindset would help - why make it a "challenge"? To me, that suggests you have two outcomes.... Succeed or fail.

You can't cheat on food, or with food. Don't restrict your food choices, and there will be no reason to have a struggle with yourself about eating food you like.

Eat at a deficit. Easy, you got this.

Having surgery isn't the answer. Having surgery doesn't change your mindset or relationship with food.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Clearly it isn't...lol You will be told on here that a calorie deficit is all you need to drop weight and that your make up of carbs, protein and fat matter little. I WILL say that my personal experience (I am down 47 with 15 to go), is that reducing carbs is a means to stay in a deficit. I am type 2 BTW...Don't get discouraged and quit as the way you start to feel should keep you going...Also a month (where I usually gave up), is where you need to dig back in as that is where my first stall was.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying challenges and special diets, maybe you should start by addressing your unhealthy relationship with food and your views on weight loss.

I'm seriously disturbed that you would even joke about gaining a bunch of extra weight so that you could qualify for major surgery because you think that it would make it easier to lose weight. I'm not sure why you think that surgery is so easy (I haven't had surgery, but it's clearly NOT an easy path). I mean, there are other risky, life-altering ways of losing weight to consider, like a health issue, a major food allergy, etc. Why not put those on the table?

Just eat at a deficit and trust the numbers.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Clearly it isn't...lol You will be told on here that a calorie deficit is all you need to drop weight and that your make up of carbs, protein and fat matter little. I WILL say that my personal experience (I am down 47 with 15 to go), is that reducing carbs food is a means to stay in a deficit. I am type 2 BTW...Don't get discouraged and quit as the way you start to feel should keep you going...Also a month (where I usually gave up), is where you need to dig back in as that is where my first stall was.

So, assuming OP has no medical issues, you're agreeing that a deficit is ALL she needs, right? Your diabetes causes for you to stay away from carbs but if OP has no such issues, carbs are not the enemy.

vmwilli - Calories In < Calories Out
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I also choose to reduce carbs significantly as a way to reduce calories...Carbs are calorie dense and I can eat a LOT of them! I will have them if I have a strong urge but I try and get the majority of my calories from lean proteins, fruits and veggies...1200 calories can go pretty far if it is coming from those three things!

You can do this, set realistic goals and make it happen!
  • alongiron
    alongiron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you on your goal. 1 year ago I had a goal to drop 35-40 pounds. Let me tell you how it worked for me. I purchased a fitness band (UP by Jawbone) and set a goal of 10,000 steps per day. I also signed up for "myfitnesspal" setting a goal of 1500 calories per day. Since that day, I have walked 4 million steps or about 2500 miles. I have not gone over my 1500 calories and have logged into "Myfitnesspal" for over 225 days in a row and have not gone over my daily calorie limit. Now one year later I am at my goal weight of 175 and feeling great. I continue to use both my fitness band and MFP. It has been a life changer and I love it! 64ynrj4533sd.jpg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I also choose to reduce carbs significantly as a way to reduce calories...Carbs are calorie dense and I can eat a LOT of them! I will have them if I have a strong urge but I try and get the majority of my calories from lean proteins, fruits and veggies...1200 calories can go pretty far if it is coming from those three things!

You can do this, set realistic goals and make it happen!

Fruits and vegetables are carbs...
  • YokiLenko
    YokiLenko Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I tried a low carb diet, I tried not to eat anything above 20 grams of carbs. I ate a lot of meats and vegetables. Carb substitutes, like cauliflower puree instead of potatoes, were my go to. You can always find diet plans for low carbs online as well, which restrict what you eat. But along with low carb and exercise, I lost around 10 pounds in two weeks (which is what my low calorie plan said). But now I'm operating at a calorie deficit, although I still avoid carbs when I can. I am losing weight this way.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Clearly it isn't...lol You will be told on here that a calorie deficit is all you need to drop weight and that your make up of carbs, protein and fat matter little. I WILL say that my personal experience (I am down 47 with 15 to go), is that reducing carbs food is a means to stay in a deficit. I am type 2 BTW...Don't get discouraged and quit as the way you start to feel should keep you going...Also a month (where I usually gave up), is where you need to dig back in as that is where my first stall was.

So, assuming OP has no medical issues, you're agreeing that a deficit is ALL she needs, right? Your diabetes causes for you to stay away from carbs but if OP has no such issues, carbs are not the enemy.

That is what I am saying. Yes...Regardless of whether or not someone is a diabetic, reducing carbs can be a means of hitting your deficit...Reducing anything can...I just happen to benefit due to a medical condition.
    (sidenote, since November my A1C is 6.0, which is lowest since I was diagnosed 5 years ago). So lower carbs reduces insulin spikes and lower weight helps everything.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

That is what I am saying. Yes...Regardless of whether or not someone is a diabetic, reducing carbs can be a means of hitting your deficit...Reducing anything can...I just happen to benefit due to a medical condition.
    (sidenote, since November my A1C is 6.0, which is lowest since I was diagnosed 5 years ago). So lower carbs reduces insulin spikes and lower weight helps everything.

Okay, glad we're on the same page. So OP, if you don't have a medical reason to restrict your carb intake, just stay at a deficit and you'll be fine.