For the swimmers...

Options
I been doing duathlons and short triathlons and mainly the reason for short triathlons is because of the swim. Im not a bad swimmer but I have a tendency to want to push it to hard and tire out besides te obvious of slowing down any swimmers out there have any tips or drills they use for longer swims?

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    practice! The more you practice longer swimming the easier it will become.
  • Mandy_PSU
    Mandy_PSU Posts: 8
    Options
    I used to be a long distance swimmer and still love doing it for exercise. One tip I got from a coach was to find a good song to keep in your head that will keep you at a steady pace - nothing too fast or too slow, just a good momentum. You should keep that same song through the whole swim and it can help you stay at a pretty even speed. Just try out a few different ones during your practice to help you find what's right for you. There are probably more technical ways too, but this works well for me.
  • macdaddyyall
    Options
    I swim competitively currently, and even though my main events are butterfly & sprints, I think I can help! Definitely think of a nice, fast-ish song that pumps you up and basically keep moving rhythmically at a maintainable speed. Try to aim for 30-20 seconds per lap, and just keep training! The important thing is to never let your feet stop kicking, because that is the point that you will start to sink and slow down. Your legs are a lot stronger than you think, and definitely stronger than your arms over long distances :)
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My main tip would be remember it's not about how fast you're moving your arms and legs it's about how much you propel yourself forward with every stroke, people often make the mistake of moving too fast and tiring themselves out when they would actually get further if they took less strokes.
  • grulz
    grulz Posts: 15
    Options
    Im an open water swimmer based in NZ so the climate lets me occasionally swim in the sea for my trainings but the best thing i ever brought was a swim mp3 player, they-re pretty cheap and really helped me get through some long sessions! although you dont want to rely on them as otherwise you start losing your technique