dont understand counting! im confused!!

Options
Can someone please help me understand the calorie counting, im just really really confused. If im trying to eat 1200 calories a day, but then i exercise, am i not eating enough if my total calorie count ends up being below 1200? Also, what about the calories my body burns during the day just normally, does this mean i should be eating more? please help me understand!!

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more so your "net" calories end up at 1200. :smile:
  • jamiepeta
    jamiepeta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    OK, let's see if I can explain :)

When you start MFP you put in your age, height, weight and how much weight you want to lose.
    MFP uses these numbers to work out how many calories you need each day to stay at this weight, then takes some calories away so you have a daily calorie allowance which accounts for the regular activities you do. If you eat this amount you should lose weight.
    If you burn calories by exercising, MFP increases your daily allowance to make sure your body is getting enough nutrition for your daily activities plus the extra exercise. It's important to remember that when you eat all these calories you calorie deficit stays the same so you will still lose weight.

Does this make sense?
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Please read these links... they are time consuming but will make your understanding of how MFP and dieting work VERY clear... they will tell you how much to eat and how your exercise calories work... these were a total revelation to me.. who grew up with very health Oriented mum and a Sister who is a Naturopath ... and some of the info i had no idea about....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Good Luck!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Actually that will probably only confuse her more since other calorie calculators don't factor in the deficit that MFP builds into the daily calorie goal.

To the OP: Yes, you want to eat your exercise calories. Read the two links in my signature. They will explain in detail why that is so important if you want to successfully lose weight and keep it off. Good luck!
  • costewar
    costewar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jamie,

In response to the calories you burn throughout the day, that is where MFP estimates how much you need for the day. So if MFP says to consume 1200 calories, that's so you have enough energy (calories) to get you by throughout the entire day.

When you exercise you will need more energy than when you do not exercise. If you plan on burning off 400 calories in one day through exercise, be sure to eat 1600 calories that day. Any exercise or extra unintentional energy that you use outside of your typical activity level (i.e. gardening, car broke down so you had to walk to the nearest gas station 2 miles away, etc), should be made up for by eating wisely.

Hope this helps!

-Colette