How many times a week can I repeat the same cardio routine?

Options
Does it matter how many times you repeat a cardio routine? Can you plateau with cardio like you do with strength training?

I do cardio 6 days a week for 30 minutes...and I have a few routines that I actually enjoy doing, but I'm not sure how many times I can repeat them..

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    As you progress with cardio, your workouts will become easier, so you can push yourself more to get a similar benefit. You'll hear lots and lots of answers. I don't believe in too much cardio, but for people seriously interested in true body re-composition (building muscle via bulking/then losing fat via cutting), too much cardio can hinder the muscle building/recovery process.

I'm on the treadmill at least 5 days/week and vary both the speed and incline to keep my heart rate average and spikes in a range where I can tell I've worked harder.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Plateau only if you do the same speed/distance/amount - ETA: in that your body gets used to it and can do MOAR!

If you find what you're doing is too easy, increase!

What do you do for cardio?

If it's treadmill, increase distance or do hills
    If it's walking, increase distance or do hills
    If its HIIT, do more reps with less breaks or increase speed portion
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do the same elliptical machine at least 5 days a week and throw in a 12 minute fast-paced squat routine with 5 & 8 pound weights 2-3 times a week. I use a Fitbit Surge which has a surprisingly accurate heart rate monitor. On the elliptical I watch the HRM and push to stay in the cardio zone or higher for 90% of my workout. If I didn't have the HRM, I'm sure I wouldn't stay up in those zones and push myself as hard. Turns out my perception of my heart rate is surprisingly inaccurate sometimes :) and without the HRM my workouts wouldn't be as effective. Bottom line is work hard, sweat and get your heart rate up and maintain it for a large portion of your workout. Good luck. ps....log everything so you can spot trends and find out what works the best for you!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. I use my elliptical daily, and have found over time that I either have to increase distance, resistance or intensity to get the same sense of effort. It's the natural side effect of increasing my capacity for cardio exercise. It's a great thing!