30 minutes arc trainer
20 walk treadmil @ 15
1 body pump class on saturday

why is weight on sclae not changing? lost only 3 pounds since march
i eat salad or mixed vegetables for lunch with chickhen
and fish (talapia ) for dinner

for breakfast i eat wheat bread with egs and tea

snack on apples or bananas, NON GMO chips

i also drink 8 ounces of ump protien shake .

how can i jump start my weight losss. thanks

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    No one can see the number on the scale; everyone can see how you look.

Here's a picture I post all the time. On the left, a woman at her goal weight. On the right, after a heavy lifting program (and 14 pounds heavier). If you had guess, which body would you say weighs less?

bodycomp_zps680e3d53.jpg

If you're not losing, it could be water retention or you're eating more than you think.
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Why on earth the sad face smiley about losing inches? I'd far rather lose inches than lbs!

Here is my "only" 9lb loss since the start of Jan:

pwwboinyc3ng.jpg
    hqqiqm5wxcza.jpg
    n9gsblfkcfcb.jpg

In the past I've lost weigh more than that lbs wise much more quickly... 5lbs in a week sometimes. And guess what? A 9lb loss back then looked like barely anything as most of it was water weight and muscle mass.

Keep measuring, take progress photos and remind yourself that there are way too many variables to make tracking via a scale alone a reliable source.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    TAG1219 wrote: »

So, the scale is moving. 3lbs since March is more than a pound a week, which is a great rate of loss. You shouldn't be aiming for more than 2lbs/week.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Which one matters?

Inches right?

shhhhh....don't destroy the magic by talking about it
  • danielle62384
    danielle62384 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you right now. I've only lost 5 lbs over the past month, but i have also lost 5 inches overall. At first I thought I would be sad, but then I realized that's a healthy pound a week, and plus, I'd rather lose the inches over the weight any day!!

@cocobongo - your pictures are very motivating and puts my mind at ease as well!! You look great after 9 lbs!!!
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are already doing really well. Inches > pounds. Means all the exercise you are doing is working and you are likely losing body fat without sacrificing important muscle. Good job!

Also, 3 lbs since March is pretty stellar.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

So, the scale is moving. 3lbs since March is more than a pound a week, which is a great rate of loss. You shouldn't be aiming for more than 2lbs/week.

This.

Plus, I prefer inches over pounds. Inches are what affect your appearance anyway.

Also, I tend to lose inches and pounds separately. I lose inches when my weight loss stalls for a week or two, then my weight will drop after that.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Inches lost = fat loss. Keep repeating this to yourself. You get to go down in clothes sizes! You are maximizing fat burning and minimizing muscle loss with exercise.

Weight loss can be muscle, water, fat, elimination of waste.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @cocobongo , that may be the most dramatic 9 pound loss I've ever seen. Great job!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    The scale is not the end all be all of weight loss. As long as you are losing inches, your clothes are fitting better / looser, and you feel good then that # isn't really all that important. Good luck to you!
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @cocobongo Oh my, oh my! I love reminders like yours when I'm tempted to cut way back so the scale would move quicker. Looooove!! :)
  • chickabelle
    chickabelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Loosing inches is awesome. Don't worry about the weight. A pound of fat takes up more room than a pound of muscle. When you go to the clothing store you pick out a size not weight amount. Leave the scale only for abit and the pounds will come off. Your doing wonderful, don't get discouraged.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Also not understanding said sad face
    @cocobongo , that may be the most dramatic 9 pound loss I've ever seen. Great job!
    Ditto! :flowerforyou:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Body composition matters so much more than weight... Be so proud of how well you're doing by losing inches!

Something that concerned me was the lack of apparent fat in your diet - besides eggs, and chips, none of your other food had fat! Please make sure you're getting lots of good Fats - they're so important for your health.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't understand... Lost 3 pounds since March and inches! Sounds like you are exactly the right path.
    Reward and acknowledge that you are making progress.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why am i losing inches and not pounds
    i eat atleast 1300 calories a day

i exercise 5 times a week
    30 minutes arc trainer
    20 walk treadmil @ 15
    1 body pump class on saturday

i eat salad or mixed vegetables for lunch with chickhen
    and fish (talapia ) for dinner

for breakfast i eat wheat bread with egs and tea

snack on apples or bananas, NON GMO chips

i also drink 8 ounces of ump protien shake .

how can i jump start my weight losss. thanks

I just can't see the problem. :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am happy to see the loss is inches.
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I didn't even click onto the fact OP mentioned losing 3lbs since March so is actually losing at a healthy rate!

1lb a week and down to 0.5 a week as you get closer to goal of you want to keep lean muscle mass. It's not a race. Consistently keep your calories in less than your calories out and you will continue to lose weight - have faith in that and a little patience and you'll get there.

I'm always wary of the whole 1lb muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat statement though. Whilst true it seems to be thrown around as an excuse when the scale doesn't budge without people realising how hard it is to gain 1lb of muscle. So if people think there weight is staying the same or rising because of this unless following a strict program and nutritional plan to gain muscle is likely not true and isn't helpful as when the weight isn't moving it's often due to under estimating cals and/or over estimating burns and that needs to be addressed.

Not the case with OP though as she is losing at a healthy rate.