i need protein help..

Options
other then meat and peanut butter and protein shakes or mixes. what foods has protein in it?? i am only getting like half my protein in each day. i need actual foods though i dont take anything like mixes or other things like that. please help thank u.

Replies

• KnightOwl
    KnightOwl Posts: 38
    Options
    Cottage Cheese!!! Half a cup of fat free cottage cheese has a whopping 13g of protein and no fat! Add a little pepper...yum yum yum. Dairy in general has protein. Try fat free yogurt- 6oz has about 5g. Eggs too! Egg whites can be added to any meal for a high protein, low fat option :)
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you can't be recaching your protein needs, if you eat that stuff... are you just mentioning foods, or are you actually eating them?
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I really have a hard time with this too. Meh. But! Eggs and dairy are loaded with protein. Egg whites, low-fat cheese and skim milk are the least in calories, but that natural fat is good for you. I think different kinds of milk such as soy or almond have more protein, but I haven't tried them. Beans have a good amount of protein, I've tried a few recipes for black bean brownies that came out great (and could probably be even better with some added chocolate protein powder!) Egg whites really are my hero here, as they can be snuck into virtually any dish. Cocoa meringues are lovely. Nuts are a good source of protein and fat. Then there are, of course, protein-fortified cereals and things like that.

Good luck!
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    From an e-book I have, lean proteins include:

Chicken Breast,
    Turkey Breast,
    Beef, ground extra lean
    Beef, top sirloin
    Beef, top Round
    Tuna, water packed
    Salmon, Atlantic
    Swordfish
    Cod
    Lobster
    Shrimp
    Protein Powder, Whey
    Egg whites
    Egg, whole
    Turkey, Grnd, extra lean
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Dairy products, eggs, nuts. I have a nutty cereal which really helps start my day with some good protein :D
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I also struggle to meet my protein quota if my calories are low. If I notice I haven't had enough in a day, a can of tuna with chopped tomato is good at bridging the gap and is low calorie as well.

Cottage cheese, eggs, plain yoghurt (although quark is better). Tofu. Nuts. Beans are also a protein source. There are also carbs with a high protein count as well - like oatmeal.

I use protein powder in my yoghurt.
  • gertrude13
    gertrude13 Posts: 64
    Options
    try tofu :D
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you can't be recaching your protein needs, if you eat that stuff... are you just mentioning foods, or are you actually eating them?

i eat meat and some peanut butter but i wasnt sure on other stuff i could eat i dont eat protein shakes or mixes for stores like gnc, or vitiman world..
  • kirstydoeslife
    Options
    PEAS! Haha. You wouldn't believe how much protein is in those little suckers.
    Any type of legume like lentils (which are dirt cheap btw, and make TONNES).
    I also eat Weight Watchers jelly by the tub full - 8g of protein in that little packet! And sugar free. 37cal for 500ml!
    Then there's the usual egg whites and dairy. But I love different beans and chickpeas and stuff.
    We buy them canned here, and they don't have as much protein in it as like, a piece of chicken, but still quite a lot..
    Especially if you had a chickpea or lentil salad for lunch or something?
    And those legumes and stuff tend to have a lot of dietary fibre too, which is something I monitor.