Anyone interested in a personal trainer?

Options
So yesterday i had my first appointment with a personal trainer.....and all i can say is that i think hes going to be well worth the money!! ideally i want to lose 3 stone and he said this is very achievable but to remember that its my size that will change and my weight may not drop as much as i wanted...which is fine with me because i want to look better instead of just focusing on the scales.

i have never worked sooo hard before in my life. i thought 30day shred was challenging enough but this guy totally kicked my but!! he was explaining each individual workout to me and what it did and why it was important.

At one point i thought i was actually going to be sick so i just stuck my face in front of the fan for a few seconds whilst i caught my breath but he did mention that his last 3 clients were actually sick on him!! then he advised me about my blood sugar levels and thats why he asked me to have something small to eat 2 hours before like peanut butter on toast (and im soooo thankful i did)

I started off with 5 minute walk on the tredmill at a nice pace, then he got me to loosen up with a few windmills and knee circles but mentioned how you shouldnt stretch too much at the start because you can weaken your muscles just before working out and you need them to be stonger.... then we did all this resistance training with bands and weights, if anyones done the 30DS then you can relate to some of the moves, the squat and press but instead of my normal 1.5kg dumbells i was using 3.5 dumbells! ME! i thought i was going to die but i did it......and you know what, i feel great! :o)

Then we moved onto a few cardio workouts like walking for a minute then sprinting for 30 seconds (which i hate the most in the world) then we got the boxing gloves out!!! i actually had a lot of fun. it makes such a difference when you have someone there pushing you...i was a lot more capable than i thought and i was really buzzing afterwards. Then we ended with a good stretch and he stretched my muscles out for me and showed me the correct methods.

although today i cant walk very well and even sneezing hurts. :laugh:

I know its expensive but he really showed me what i should be doing. my only regret is that i didnt call him in 2 years ago when the weight started creeping on!

:smile:

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if you found a great trainer - mixing it up and challenging your boundaries is so rewarding - have fun!!
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    I pay so much for my gym membership there is noway i could justify a personal trainer too!!I do know a lot of it anyway and i got 4 mates that are instructors so between them i get great advise anyway!
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    thats is awesome ,he sounds good & you say expensive ,i think if you can afford it & he is that good then it is well worth every penny spent ,you will learn all his knowlaedge ,which you will keep for life & this will allways be with you, so i thinks fab for now & an investment for the future .
    welldone you x
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    How amazing is personal training......... I think there is only a rare few people in the world who are able to self-motivate and push themselves exercise wise (I may be wrong but no one I know :-P). So it's a massive eye opener when you realise just how far you can go and how good you feel after! I even love the pain the next day... it's good pain that I can handle and it's a good indicator that I've worked hard and pushed myself (and am on the way to toning up! Yay!).

Would just like to add that group personal training works in the same way, you've just got more support around you, a little less pressure and it's cheaper too. Another option for anyone who's interested :)
  • miss_dreamer
    miss_dreamer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a personal trainer, being at University means it's a bit too expensive for me right now, but one more year of Uni left and then as soon as i can i'm going to find one! Sounds like yours is amazing, i did a trial session with a personal trainer once a year or so ago, i felt sick too but by the end of it i felt amazing.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I pay so much for my gym membership there is noway i could justify a personal trainer too!!I do know a lot of it anyway and i got 4 mates that are instructors so between them i get great advise anyway!

I actually cancelled my gym membership because i didnt really have a clue what i doing on any of the machines and i felt very self concious being around all the fit skinny people. I invested in a treadmill which i got online in the sale for £150.00 and dumbells cost next to nothing and he brought the rest of the stuff with him. all i needed was a bit of floor space so all the furniture was pushed to the side and that was it.

Trainers can do you a good deal, i am paying upfront for 4 sessions at a time so he has reduced the sessions by £10 each. This does leave me officially broke now but whats the point of having the money when i dont want to buy myself anything until i reach my goal. then i will treat myself to a load of lovely new smaller clothes :o)
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I'm working out with a personal trainer since January, and I absolutely love it!
    I get one hour training every 2 weeks, and he sends me programs to do by myself in between those sessions.

He pushes me, motivates me, compliments me all in one session. And he adapts the workout to my mood and body condition!

And yes, the scale doesn't move a lot, but my body changes. I just can't imagine that I'm transforming that much fat weight into muscle weight that fast as to keep the scale stuck, but I don't worry too much as I can see the results :-)

MM
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    He sounds fantastic! I've got my first session in over 2 yrs tomorrow with a PT and I hope he is going to kick my bum like yours did!!!
    Where did you get this guy from? Is he in London?
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    He sounds fantastic! I've got my first session in over 2 yrs tomorrow with a PT and I hope he is going to kick my bum like yours did!!!

He works for David Lloyds in Epsom, Surrey but he was actually recommended to me by his brother whos a very good friend of mine who is also trained by him and he does thai boxing and cage fighting.

I told him my goal, and i told him that im paying him to get me there, so he needed to kick me up the bum and he is extreamly motivating, he praised all the moved i did correctly so i felt like i could continue.

Aparently a lot of trainers focus on cardio, this one has done his research and only focuses about 10 mins of cardio and the rest is all strength and core work. he actually just text me know to see how im doing and said:

"just think, your still burning fat as your muscles recover. the way we trained, you will still be burning calories for about 48-72 hours after the workout"

slimming whilst sitting on my *kitten*..... thats the best news iv ever heard lol.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options

He works for David Lloyds in Epsom, Surrey but he was actually recommended to me by his brother whos a very good friend of mine who is also trained by him and he does thai boxing and cage fighting.

I told him my goal, and i told him that im paying him to get me there, so he needed to kick me up the bum and he is extreamly motivating, he praised all the moved i did correctly so i felt like i could continue.

Aparently a lot of trainers focus on cardio, this one has done his research and only focuses about 10 mins of cardio and the rest is all strength and core work. he actually just text me know to see how im doing and said:

"just think, your still burning fat as your muscles recover. the way we trained, you will still be burning calories for about 48-72 hours after the workout"

slimming whilst sitting on my *kitten*..... thats the best news iv ever heard lol.

Sorry, but I cringe when I hear the words "cage fighting" I know ahead of time that I'm coming off as a prick here, but the word(s) you're looking for is "mixed martial arts" or "MMA". As an avid fan of the sport, I don't care to see it sterotyped. Sorry about that. BTW, I love the idea of a personal trainer. I hope to hire one in the near future myself.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

He sounds like he goes the extra mile for his clients! Hold on to him!
    Slimming whilst on your bum sounds good to me too!!! Lol!