Please help, I need filling low calorie food ideas

Options
I need ideas for low budget, low calorie foods that are filling. I'm not picky; just don't like pickled stuff -that are not pickles- and beets. Everything else is fine... I need recipes, ideas, or apps with healthy recipes -my blood pressure is 164/117 and I'm not sure but I think I need to stay away from sodium. All advice welcome been on and off this app for a couple of years and it works if you use it right, I just get tired of boring food routines.

Replies

• amandaboshea
    Options
    FF Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, boiled eggs, tuna, skim milk just to name a few
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    String cheese. Raw veggies. Frozen veggies to cook with (I like the Asian blends to use in stir fry, just add seasonings and a protein). Eggs. Rice, pasta, dry beans.

If buying fat free Greek yogurt, which I endorse highly, buy the large tubs of plain. It's not only cheaper but it's more versatile. I use it for anything I would have previously used sour cream: potatoes, tacos, dips for raw veggies, etc. For breakfast I add fruit or jam and something to sweeten it (sugar, Splenda, agave syrup) if necessary.

Cottage cheese is high in sodium so you may need to skip it unless you can find a no-salt version.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I often buy bags of coleslaw mix (just the veggies, no dressing) or broccoli slaw and add them to the rest of my meal. It makes meals feel huge (which is great for "hungry" days) and adds lots of fiber. They're also very affordable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "Filling" foods may not necessarily be low calorie. Filling for you may not be the same as filling for someone else. For some satiating food has protein, for others satiating food has fat. These 2 components aren't "low calorie."

If you are looking for high volume foods....then you're looking for fiber. Fiber is satiating for some people. I like to "bulk up" recipes with non-starchy vegetables (generally low calorie).

Stir frys are a good example. Start with meat, add a little fat...and then tons of veggies. Sauces are generally low cal (google how to make your own...prepackaged will be high sodium). I can fill up my plate. It's just the rice I have to watch.

Add veggies to soups, chili, marinara sauce, etc. Veggies will decrease the calorie count (for the same serving size). Veggies (diced carrots, spinach) will reduce the sodium per serving too.

Frozen veggies are budget friendly. Eggs have protein and fat....budget friendly. Oats are great breakfast food. They have fiber and protein.....you can make them with milk for added protein...or a spoon of peanut butter for fat (not low calorie)....but filling.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Dark green vegetables, Brussels sprouts , brocolli, spinach , Ect
    Lean protein, skinless chicken breast, whole roasted turkey, (Not from the deli, deli meats are high in sodium.). Fish
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I used to buy canned black beans refried beans salsa block cheese and tortillas to make bean burritos. Also they sell frozen eggplant cutlets, you could do fresh too, tomato sauce and mozzarella. Just put it together and in the toaster oven for a few minutes. Both were very inexpensive and ultra easy which made it easier for me to stick too.
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Whenever I need a filling low calorie meal I make an omelette. 3 whole large eggs, and even with cheese they clock in under 450 calories. As far as snacks go, popcorn. Unbuttered, with hot sauce. Cheap, filling, and as long as you go plain, low cal. Maybe try adding curry or old bay. Speaking of curry a whole sweet potato mashed with curry and a little butter is like 100 calories. Cabbage is also very cheap, and with the right spices, delicious.
  • Xenostar
    Xenostar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Really great ideas thank you all
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ditto the broccoli slaw. its the sliced up raw veggies with no dressing. a secret weapon for me and adds the perfect crunch to a regular salad and sandwich.

i find eggs filling i eat them every morning and they are inexpensive i think.
    i mean the more veggies you can build into your meal its a simple way to get nutrients in and bulk to your meal so you feel fuller without breaking your calorie bank.

buy veggies in season there are always great deals.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i need variety too, i have no "Staples" in my house every week my grocery list looks different. i use websites like skinny taste and cooking light to get inspiration.
  • Michaelacdavis
    Michaelacdavis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like using Flat Out brand flatbread to make pizzas, sandwiches, chips/crackers, wraps, or anything you need a tortilla like base for. They are only like 90 calories per flat and are high in fiber which will help you feel a little fuller.

For pizzas I just throw down a little tomato sauce/pizza sauce, mozzarella, and veggies on top and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes.

To make chips/crackers just cut the flat into small triangles or squares, season if you like and then bake until crispy! I like to bake them up so I'll have a crispy low-cal snack and also for dipping in tuna/chicken salad for lunch.

Flat out bread is something I ALWAYS have in my pantry and they have different flavors you can try too.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Download Pinterest if you haven't arleady- Endless ideas with photos.
  • tinytexn
    tinytexn Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Spaghetti squash spaghetti with lean ground beef and light marinara sauce. I use about 100g of spaghetti squash, 3 oz of ground beef and 1/2 cup Prego's light traditional sauce. Ends up around 250 calories. It's very filling to me.

v6loknbps0e8.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    La Zuppa's Spiced Red Lentil Soup
    http://lazuppa.com.au/la-zuppa/bowls/spiced-red-lentil-soup

Trident Chow Mein Soft Noodles
    http://www.tridentfoods.com.au/products/0320.html

Heinz Steam Fresh Broccoli, Carrots and Sugarsnap Peas
    http://www.heinz.com.au/Our-Products/Vegetables/Steamfresh-Frozen-Vegetables/Broccoli-Carrots-and-Sugarsnap-Peas

I had that combo, all mixed together, for lunch yesterday ... yummy and filling!! And a grand total of 385 cal.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I find for lunch I stay the fullest if I eat a huge salad with 4-5 servings of iceberg lettuce, with around 2 servings of chicken, & a dressing

Dinner I stay fullest if I eat a lot of tilapia & some kind of veggies (broccoli, spaghetti squash, peas, etc.)

For snacks I stay fuller if I eat yogurt with some kind of fruit, a rice cake & peanut butter, or a Quest bar.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Fiber is filling and necessary for health so add whole grains to your diet. You can even do "savory oatmeal," which is surprisingly delicious. Treat it as you would rice for a pilaf, e.g. add sauteed mushrooms and the like. Google 'savory oatmeal recipe' and lots of ideas will pop up.
  • AndyT2015
    AndyT2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of lean protein that's the ticket, it's what I'm doing, controls my desires for sweets and excess carbs in the evenings. If you can eat 1 gram of protein for every lb of body weight you'll loose weight because you wont' be hungry for those high calorie foods.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    low budget, low salt, low calorie foods that are filling. I'm going to interpret "low calorie filling foods" as high bulk high fiber.
    • Foods you cook yourself are cheaper. Also, this is about the only way you can control the salt content of prepared foods
    • Air-popped popcorn, or pop regular popcorn in the microwave in a paper bag or covered dish
    • Beans and lentils are low budget, high fiber, and filling. (Lentils and spicy sausage)
    • Potatoes have an amazing amount of fiber if you keep those skins on, are very filling, and inexpensive.
    • Cabbage has amazing staying power both in the refrigerator and in your system. This cabbage pie looks interesting.
    • Chicken thighs are cheaper than chicken breasts, and when you remove the skin, almost as low in fat. The dark meat is naturally moist and tender.
  • BananasananaB
    BananasananaB Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are where it's at!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    God yes, how could I have forgotten sweet potatoes? Yams, butternut squash and acorn squash are about the same. All lovely roasted with a bit of EVOO, pepper, and honey.