How long until you started losing weight?

Options
This may have been posted already, but how long did it take for you to start seeing a weight loss? I'm generally pretty healthy and a regular exerciser but I'd like to lose 7-10lbs. I've been tracking calories and exercise on MFP for about 10 days now and I notice that my weight naturally fluctuates, so I haven't really seen any major difference. I know that's not much time, but I was just curious as to other people's experience.

Just FYI since I'm new, I'm a 29 year old woman, 5'10", 173 lbs. I'm eating about 1,240 calories a day, except when I have a hard work out, then I try to eat 200-300 more calories.

Thank you! :-)

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You'll probably hear this from a few people, but with those stats 1200 cals/day is pretty low. 1400-1600 would probably be a better range for you.

Back to the question at hand, I've personally found that the closer I am to my goal weight, the slower the weight seems to come off. I'm currently 10lbs from where I want to be and it seems like the scale not moving. So, instead of focusing on my number, I'm trying to distract myself with my fitness goals instead. I'm trying to increase my workouts and pay attention to how my body is looking...instead of how much it weighs.

If you really just want to see that number go down, I'd give it 2-3 weeks and then reassess where you're at. If you're still not losing weight after that time, my guess would be that you're logging food incorrectly. Are you using a food scale?
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You'll probably hear this from a few people, but with those stats 1200 cals/day is pretty low. 1400-1600 would probably be a better range for you.

Back to the question at hand, I've personally found that the closer I am to my goal weight, the slower the weight seems to come off. I'm currently 10lbs from where I want to be and it seems like the scale not moving. So, instead of focusing on my number, I'm trying to distract myself with my fitness goals instead. I'm trying to increase my workouts and pay attention to how my body is looking...instead of how much it weighs.

If you really just want to see that number go down, I'd give it 2-3 weeks and then reassess where you're at. If you're still not losing weight after that time, my guess would be that you're logging food incorrectly. Are you using a food scale?

I just bought a food scale last week and so far have only been using it for the more difficult to gauge things, like lunchmeat, fish, cheese, oatmeal. I may have to start using it more diligently, but I just don't want to become obsessive. As a personal rule, I usually don't log fresh vegetables and I eat a pretty good amount of them, so maybe that is part of the discrepancy if I don't start losing.

As for implementing fitness goals -- that's a really good idea and definitely doable. I'm doing some yoga and Jillian Michael's 30 day shred in addition to some other cardio, so that makes sense. My husband and I are talking about starting a family soon, so I'd like to be as healthy as possible. Thanks for your reply!!
  • fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I noticed my weight drop within the first week, on the scale anyway. Cleaning up your diet usually causes you to lose a lot of water weight the first week then the second week the rate of loss will slow down (typically at least)

my opinion: 1200 calories is fine. People on here act like you will kill yourself going that low but in reality we can subsist on a lot less than you'd expect. Is it realistic for a long term, sustained period of several months? Maybe not. But you can definitely drop that 10 pounds in a month or two at 1200 calories.

I'd also suggest reducing carbohydrates and increasing protein when possible. Weigh everything that isn't already pre-portioned. I glanced at your diary and my suspicion is that you are underestimating your calories. Don't quick add calories so much try to be as accurate as you possibly can be.

If you really want results bad enough you have to be a little obsessive about it.

best of luck and welcome to the forums!