Newbie Alert!

Options
Hi folks, decided to take the plunge and sign myself up. I swear atronauts can see my bum from space and I'm slightly worried I'm going to dash the hopes of a budding space explorer when they think they have discovered a new planet!

So any helpful hints and tips?

Replies

• Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hey, and welcome. I'm assuming from the name that you're a Nirvana fan? :)

Tips that I'd offer:

Make sure that you've set your goals - be definite and specific and set yourself realistic timelines. Write these down and look at them every day to drill them into your subconscious.

Log everything. Even if you think that one block of chocolate you had couldn't have had many calories, it's still worth logging it - it helps to keep you accountable.

Do some exercise - even if you don't do much, every little bit helps.

Get yourself some MFP friends - people on here are incredibly helpful and motivational. I'll send you a friend request.

Don't get discouraged if you don't see the weight loss immediately or it's slower than you were hoping. This is a journey, and as the weight didn't appear overnight, it's not going to disappear overnight either. Take pride in the small victories.

Try and stick to the 90/10 principle. If you eat well 90% of the time, don't feel guilty about indulging in that piece of chocolate or burger every once in a while. This should be a lifestyle change and not a diet, and complete deprivation is one of the easiest ways to fall off the wagon.

And lastly, have fun - this shouldn't be something that seems like a chore. ook at the good that you're doing for yourself, and take some inspiration from some of the amazing success stories on here.

Good luck :)
    Steven
  • gislihh
    gislihh Posts: 10
    Options
    This is for life.
    Find your calorie boundaries. Try to fill your diet with as healthy and enjoyable foods as possible. Something that could make the rest of your life pleasent. Spread your calories over the day, 5-6 meals. Preferably no meal should consist of more than 25% of your daily calorie intake.
    To loose weight, go slightly below the boundaries and burn calories with exercise. Slow is good, fast is more excersize.
    This won't even feel like you are on a diet. For me its like freedom at last.
  • Scentlessapprentice
    Scentlessapprentice Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies, some great info to keep me going there. Huge Nirvana fan :)