Hello from NZ!

Options
Hello everyone!
I've been on this for a few weeks now but have just decided to get involved a bit more.... It's starting to reach the point where i usually begin to lose motivation or just de-prioritize exercise and being aware of healthy eating... Not this time! I have a lot to lose (55kg which is over 100 pounds...) but that just makes this even more important. I live in Christchurch, New Zealand which has been a little stressful recently (earthquakes) added to being a student with an already busy year that now has the same amount of work but a month less to do it in! Added to this is worrying about finding a job and getting into a grad program next year.... I have tried so many diets and fads before and always seem to do well at the beginning but it creeps back on until i'm above the weight i started at! I'm hoping that by doing it this way and creating a community that i can be held accountable too this time will work!
Any advice, tips, motivation etc would be gladly received!
Thanks! :-)

Replies

• Scentlessapprentice
    Scentlessapprentice Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I joined today so can't give you any tips as yet, but thought I would say hello and wish you luck :)
  • Brooke_NZ
    Brooke_NZ Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! I'm new too, just joined today as well. I'm also from shakey land. I aim to lose 10kgs for my wedding next Feb!
  • sap389
    sap389 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks scentless :-)
    What an exciting goal Brooke! Good luck!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hiya! i'm in south auckland
    ;-)
    mfp is fab!!
    feel free to friend me if you want. i've been on here for about a month and have found it really useful.
  • divadebz
    divadebz Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi there, I'm from NZ too. In Ashburton just south of you infact. I started on here 10 days ago and just love the support. Everyone is so encouraging. Just like one big happy family really. Keep logging on, it keeps you motivated. I am wanting to lose 20kg. I have lost 4kg so far. I have never been able to stick very long at diets but this website has really helped me. Please join me up as a friend, I would love to support you on your journey. I wish you so much success my friend.
  • babykirbsta
    Options
    Hey, Im from wellington ... have a bit to lose as well (4 kids ekkk not the kids but the weight that came with it LOL) ... Been on here for 3 days .... not loking so great for me at the mo but very determined!!!!!
  • Brooke_NZ
    Options
    Thank you! Great to see lots of people giving each other encouragement on here. I hope this doesn't turn into another online fad that I follow for a little while :-P
  • babykirbsta
    Options
    in a non cheesy way we could motivate each other :) !!!!! its cool that all the nzers in this thread are from diff parts! would be great to have a motivation partner though :(

I am 5'10 and 90 kilo looking at getting to a healthy 75 kilo ....
  • kimmisatch
    kimmisatch Posts: 105
    Options
    Hey im from Dunedin :)
    Am lacking motivation at the moment - I lost 23kg a year ago, but I have about 50 at least to lose now so am totally in the same boat as you.

Anyone please feel free to add me :)

Kim
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My tip is this: once you reach that point where you start to slack, do what you just did: reach out and ask for support!

I'd be happy to friend you-- a dear friend of mine lives in Christchurch (I'm in the US) and so I have a special fondness for that place :)

One day I'll need the motivation as I'm one of those people who does really well for six months, and then some crisis hits (or not) and the exercise drops off.

Best,

Debbie
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Hay!
    I live in Hamilton, in the cold and foggy Waikato, lol. I joined just over three months ago, with 45-50 kgs to lose, so far I've managed to shed just over 26kgs! Stick with it, this site is awesome :)
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hiya, Im from Northland if you want a kiwi for motivation...theres a few of us cheering ea other on, hope you guys coping Ok down there, I try to donate when i can, i dont know how you tolerate all aftershocks, as ive never been in an earthquake!... it very sad I loved visits to Chch. So good on you for doing this despite it all.

Cheers Karlee
    6432523.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • LanaNZ
    LanaNZ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Lana and I'm a newbie on here as of yesterday. It's so great to see so many Kiwis on here. I'm from Christchurch and can definately relate to earthquake stress and a little extra quake weight sneaking on! I'm hoping to lose 10-15kgs just to feel comfortable in my own skin again. Looks like this is the place to get help and motivation to achieve this :-)
  • Brooke_NZ
    Options
    Hi Lana! Glad you found this website, it's pretty useful! :-)

Can totally relate to the kilo creep, having a desk job doesn't help!

I've managed to lose 6kgs since the start of this year. Winter has put this progress to a halt, as it killed my motivation to go running in the evenings! So now I'm gonna focus more on what I eat and put that stationary bike to use!
  • kiwi_dee
    kiwi_dee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Kia ora all! I'm another from Hamilton. I've been on here since Feb and have not looked back! The support and advice is awesome!

I'm a mum to 3 young kids and have lost just under 11kg with another 12 to go. I can always do with more friends on this journey and I enjoy giving others support :happy:
  • sap389
    sap389 Posts: 6
    Options
    Am so surprised by how many kiwi's there are on here!

Am feeling so much better now! It's lovely to think there are other people who are going through the same sort of stuff nearby and further away..

We will defeat the dreaded extra kilos.... even if the weather isn't too delightful.

:-)
  • GaryNZ
    GaryNZ Posts: 4
    Options
    Welcome Fellow Kiwi, I am up in Auckland as well....

Stay focused and try and think a year in advance, as in how healthy will I feel in year if I keep this up.

Try and make the right choices every meal, the biggest thing is plan your meals and always have the correct food at home so you are not tempted to go our and buy processed crap food.

Good luck!!!
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Hello to you from Chch - well north of Chch, wow reading through your post I didnt realise that there were so many Kiwi's on here either it's AWESOME. Go the Kiwis!!!!! Feel free to add me if you want. Good luck with your journey and it has been a stressful time as of late with all the shakes!!!! Kia kaha we will get through!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • nzangelgurl
    Options
    yay, a thread for us kiwi's... just joined mfp yesturday. i need to track all my food i eat in the day. i need to see where i am going wrong.
  • nzangelgurl
    Options
    is there some way of saving this thread so i can easily find it if anyone writes a message?