Is any one else trying to lose pregnancy weight while breastfeeding?

Options
Back in 2012 I finally decided enough was enough with regards to my weight. It had gradually crept up from around 9st to over 11st and I was extremely unhappy. I managed to lose the weight I wanted and got back down to around 8.5st in about 5 months and kept it off for roughly a year.
I then got pregnant with my first child and throughout the pregnancy and after giving birth I put it all back on again. I am really starting to feel quite depressed that I look like a beached whale and none of my favourite clothes fit.
My little girl is now 9 months but I am still breastfeeding and finding it really difficult not to binge eat due to major hunger pangs after I feed her. I feel like there is no support because people assume that the extra calories it takes to breastfeed will mean that weight is lost naturally but that is not the case for me :(
Is there anyone else out there struggling or have any advice for people in this situation?

Replies

• skullgirl84
    skullgirl84 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi there,I have an 18 month old. I to breastfeed my daughter, and solo do so till she self weans
  • DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Me!
  • lawslauraj
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm gonna let my little girl self weaning too. :)
  • buttrfli322
    buttrfli322 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommends to go no lower than 1500 calories to lose weight while I am breastfeeding...some days I eat 1200-1500 calories while others I too have those hunger pains and more than I should be to lose weight. I haven't been the best at tracking what I am eating but when I do track I don't eat back the exercise calories. A lot of it is mind over matter...try drinking water before eating anything and that may help you to eat less when you are wanting to binge. You're not alone that is for sure!! My last baby girl is now 6 mths and I still have 25lbs more to lose!
  • amandacassidy6872
    amandacassidy6872 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My son is 5 1/2 mos and I'd like to lose at least 30 lbs...I. sure my body could stand to lose more, but no need to go crazy just yet. I'm still breastfeeding as well.
  • linarex
    linarex Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am - my son is 6 1/2 months old and I'm just trying to get back to running and eating better. I definitely have times when I am flat out starving!
  • lawslauraj
    Options
    I'm pretty good on weekdays cos I work part-time and can distract myself from food easily even if I'm hungry but weekends are a totally different story